“Delicious experience”

La Casa de Tono
Ranked #18 of 4,790 Restaurants in Mexico City
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Reforma / Zona Rosa
Description: Their food is the best, their service is excellent, and the price is right! Excellent pozole, quesadillas, sopes and flautas.
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This place is not relaxing, but it is definitely worth visiting. I used to live down the street from the one located in front of Parque Delta. We used to go late-night after concerts. It's good, and the salsa is great! The food is a very reasonable price, and it's up pretty quick even if it's crowded. You can order antojitos (flautas, sopes, quesadillas) and pozole. The only downsides are the noise (lots of chatter when it's full) and the wait (because it's so popular). Don't go on payday, and you should avoid those issues.

Also, the last time I went, they only accepted cash, but they may have changed that policy.

2  Thank AventureraG
Write a ReviewReviews (1,074)

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Not a restaurant but they do all the Mexican traditional dishes like pozole, tostadas, quesadillas, etc. If you want traditional food you must go here. its pretty cheap too and they have an amazing flan for dessert. One of the best i have ever tried.

2  Thank jeya_mc
Reviewed April 1, 2013

what a great place to eat. there was a big line up but within 15 minutes we where seated. the food was good and realy not expensive. if you like sweets don't forget the : flan the my abuella... mmmm just thinking about it makes me hungry....

Reviewed March 23, 2013

This is a chain of restaurants dotted around Mexico City. They specialise in good down-to-earth Mexican food such as pozole and flautas. When we went there was not a non-Mexican in sight, except me, and the menu is in Spanish. Pozole is a broth consisting typically of shredded pork and cacahuazintle corn grains, garnished with shredded lettuce, radishes and oregano. You can add chile sauce to taste.

If you are looking for the real deal at modest prices, go for this place. Also, their 'flan' (creme caramel) is the best I have ever tasted in a restaurant.

2  Thank jomberwood
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My brother has suggested that I should have called my blog "Mexico City: One Taco At A Time." Now, there's a modicum of truth to his keen observation. Therefore, today, I broke with my apparent pattern and went in search of the best bowl of pozole in town. And, I believe I found it. There are many good pozolerias to choose from. I went with a recommendation from my "Good Food in Mexico City" guide and headed back to the Santa Maria de Ribera neighborhood to find La Casa de Toño. Although this appears to be a chain, I am pleased to say that the pozole rojo lived up to the hype. A large bowl of pozole only cost $43MEX or about $3.50 US. Add a nice cold glass of horchata ($19MEX) to drink and flan de la abuela ($26MEX) for desert and you have a whole meal. Although I didn't have to wait for a table, by the time I left (and I wasn't hurried), the wait looked substantial. The beautiful 19th century building housing the restaurant is a treat in and of itself. High ceilings and mural painted walls create a relaxing environment for a meal anytime of day. This is a place I'd visit time and time again.

1  Thank Grousedoctor