“Can't wait to go back!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pujol

Pujol
Reserve with OpenTable
Pujol is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 3,469 Restaurants in Mexico City
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Fusion
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Polanco
Cross street: Horacio
Transit: Metro Polanco
Description: Once again featured on the San Pellegrino list of the "World's 50 Finest Restaurants"—and moving up thirteen spots to number 36—Pujol is Chef Enrique Olvera's extraordinary personal approach to Mexican cuisine, famed for reinvention and ongoing perfectionism, where tradition and contemporary gastronomy live side by side as expressed in culinary techniques both ancient and modern. Using both imagination and delicacy, Olvera recombines Mexico's nearly infinite ingredients and flavors, demonstrating an extraordinary food culture's potential in obsessive detail.
Playa del Carmen
“Can't wait to go back!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Our taxi river had never heard of Pujol and even with the complete street address he had trouble finding the small modern building that houses the restaurant. The sleek facade is unassuming, save the smartly dressed valets out front who came running to greet us. Inside, we were ushered past a small bar into a dimly lit, low ceilinged dining room. It was much smaller than I had expected, about the size of a gentlemen-only lounge at a country club. The walls are painted a charcoal gray. Stretched along one wall is a row of banquet seating. The rest of the room is dotted with stand alone white table-clothed tables, each lit from above a singular spot light creating dining "islands" for each party. It was sleek and elegant and comfortably cosmopolitan!

At the time of our visit, there were two dining options: Chef Enrique Olvera's ten course tasting menu and a prix fixe four course menu with several options for each course. Not wanting the kids to sit through a 2 1/2 hour meal, we chose the prix fixe option (890 mn p/p) which also allowed me to help my son (our less adventurous eater) to find things he might like. My daughter was, of course, thrilled to be there and quickly had all the servers fawning all over her suggesting elegant "mocktails" and menu selections that she might enjoy. My husband and I stuck to the vegetarian and seafood options while the kids had some meat sprinkled into their meals.

I've read a couple of reviews on TA since we returned from our trip and many of them call out the waitstaff as pretentious and impatient. Others claimed their service was overly intrusive. Some called it "odd". I found just the opposite. Despite the fact that we were the only foreigners in the restaurant, we were clearly under-dressed and two of our party were under the age of 12, I found our service to be spot on. The courses were timed properly and served at the correct temperature. We were never left with empty drinks or plates. Silverware was replaced...never simply set aside for the next course. Napkins were promptly refolded during trips to the restroom. It all worked like a well-oiled machine. Everyone was smiley and nice, especially to our children.

My only complaint is that I would like like to have had a beverage - wine, mezcal, champagne, agua fresca - something thoughtfully paired with each course. I'm not talking about a full pour, just a little something that the Chef has chosen to best accompany each offering. I would have been happy to pay an additional charge for this option rather than having to choose for myself from their extensive beverage menu. Otherwise, I very much enjoyed my food and my dining experience. The food was well conceived and perfectly executed. With two starters sent out to warm up our palates and the complimentary deserts, I feel like the price was well justified. Best of all, it tasted good! We are definitely looking forward to trying the full tasting menu the next time we have an opportunity to be in Mexico City on our own.

Visited March 2013

• Polish first
California
“Did not meet expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

A much anticipated experience though good did not meet the hype. The chefs tasting menu was OK and nothing that really stood out except the fact that I ate ant larvae, frog legs, and rotten banana for desert. Mescal selection was good.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
Santa Monica, California
“Best Mexican High Couisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I went the for my husband's birthday. Some foodie friends recommended me to go there. It's expensive but it totally worth it. Best Mexican food I have ever try. The combination with the food is just outstanding.
The chef really goes to the origins of Mexican food. With ingredients that just some people really appreciate and know how to play with them.
For me as a Mexican I was really impress and very proud the way they presented the dishes, the flavors, the service.
If you are into food, but really into a good food. Please go there!
The service was incredible.

Visited March 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
“An Overrated Outing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

If you like pretentious waiters, a noisy room, and mostly average offerings at premium prices, the Pujol is for you. Granted, foodies can probably find something here to write home about. But we were not so lucky. For starters, a drunk held forth, profanity and all, from an adjoining table. He must have been one of the owners; no one from the Pujol staff made any effort to reign him in. A true world class establishment would have known what to do. As for the food, we found it attractively presented but, with a couple of exceptions, lacking in culinary distinction. Of course, that may have been because we found it hard to truly tell with only two bites per course. If large portion sizes offend you, worry not here. If the cuisine is not yet ready for top billing, one could not tell by the wait staff. In the best 5-Star stereotype, all but one were impatient to the point of rudeness.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank Anelena H
“Rated as one of the best restaurants in the world NOT according to me”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

This has been rated in 2013 as No. 17th of the 50 top restaurants in the world. Expect a VERY Snobby ambiance, even the waiter will patronize you! Tiny portions, maybe food is good IDK because they were so small you cannot even enjoy them. Prices are VERY HIGH.... In my book: Service: bad unless you like been patronized. Food: bad, unless you're planning for tacos before or after visiting you'll remain hungry. Taste was not that great. Price: I've been around and this is one of the most expensive restaurants I've vistited.

Visited April 2013