“Huge sushi”

Tori Tori Temistocles
Reserve with OpenTable
Tori Tori Temistocles is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #164 of 4,523 Restaurants in Mexico City
Cross street: Campos Eliseos y Newton
Frankfurt, Germany
“Huge sushi”
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Kind of a pricy place with huge sushi pieces. Food wasn't that great. Place is nice though and good for chilling. Drinks are well, too.

Visited October 2013

Mexico City, Mexico
“Am I scary?”
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Greetings food lovers.

Well so I was around the area and I had already seen this place. Small but eye catching in my opinion so after buying some books I decided to give it a try.

- The place

It is a small japanese restaurant with warm lights and a sushi bar displaying their different products. The place looks clean and there is a kind of charm I find about it that caught my attention the first time walking down that street.

I had to check the bathroom and it was also very clean so it made me feel relieved that if they had this level of committment towards the tidyness of the bathroom then the kitchen should be even better.

- Service

From the moment I entered I felt there was something missing, I don't know if the host was expecting only japanese people in this restaurant or if I freaked him out somehow so I said I would sit at the bar since he didn't offer me a table.

10 minutes after being at the bar waiting to be attended and the chef watching me nervous (or uncomfortable) I called the closest waiter; he asked me "did they offered you something to drink" so I answered him that he was the first person to talk to me.

5 minutes later I had to ask another waiter for the menu (I still didnt get my first drink). I asked for a moriwase salad and an eel chirashi. After 30 minutes I heard one of the waiters whispering about my order and the chef was upset that the chirashi was already finished and not the salad.

In order to amend the deal the chef offered me a little bowl of tuna as a snack while my order was about to get ready so extra points for that.

A while later a couple arrived and another guy too. They all sat at the bar, and even when when one of them ordered soup, they were getting attended quite fast so that made me feel I wasn't welcome in the restaurant.

- Food

The taste on both dishes was supreme. The moriwase had REAL crab and not surimi like most restaurants. The shrimps on the salad were fresh too.

The chirashi was very small to what I was used to in another restaurants but still the flavor was excellent. I tried their tamago nigiri too but I felt it had the taste of scrambled eggs and not usual sweetness.

- Conclusion

As I said before I didnt feel welcome there. I felt the services was biased for japanese people and friends or peopleo known by Tori Tori's staff. Maybe if they had a disclaimer or a printed policy at the door saying "don't expect to have a good service if you are not japanese or known here" then I wouldn't complain, but since there wasn't anything like it then I left the place hungry and upset, this was the first time I left only 5% of tip on a restaurant and I only did it because the chef noticed I wasn't enjoying this experience.

I would return here only if I get first hand news about the change of the service since I really enjoyed the food but paying 710 pesos (around 54 dollars) and still being hungry then I consider this place as very expensive just because of the lack of good service.

Thanks for reading... enjoy your meals.

3 Thank ZANARK
New York
“fancy, modern sushi”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Excellent sushi, good service, elegant surroundings, in Polanco. Choice of indoors/outdoors. Favorite place for young people (appropriate music). You won't see it unless you know the address!

Visited November 2013
Northport, New York
“Good sushi, nice ambiance in the garden”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Sushi was good but not cheap, it was a bit difficult to order at there were no english menus. I sat outside in the "Garden" and loved the outside heaters, but hated the smoking around me... probably should have gone inside but it was so nice eating outside. Also, loved the 80ies music they were playing.

I might go back next time I am in Mexico City

• Visited November 2013
Brussels, Belgium
“Very good sushi”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Very good sushi, good location and good service. Was a little expensive considering and the waiters tend to be overly anxious to turno over the table.

• Visited October 2013