“Nice hotel, but some flaws”

NH Collection Mexico City Santa Fe
Ranked #48 of 305 Hotels in Mexico City
New York City, New York
“Nice hotel, but some flaws”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed in this hotel as I was going to be a speaker in a conference we were having there. The hotel is nice, steps away from the Santa Fe Mall and with plenty of good restaurants in the area (one, the Xanto, before Paxia, right in the building, is one o the best mexican restaurants in town, and I mean Mexico DF). The rooms are fine, clean and good sized-

They have free wifi (only for a device at a time, what is a bit of a nuisance, as you have to exit the connection in your ipad if you want to use your laptop, etc.) You can purchase, at a steep price, more "devices". The bad thing is the we lost the wifi for almost one day in the hotel, what affected our seminar and the possibility of working in the room (what I needed to do). Things like those happen, but you can manage it better or worse. In this occasion, they chose worse. No matter I called many times and they told me they will tell me when it was working, they never did. Nor the explained the situation or gave any excuses.

One colleague of mine took one of their excursions to visit the Guadalupe church and Tehotihuacan pyramids, only to discover, when he was in the bus, that the church has been yet visited and only the pyramids were left. It took several visits to the reception to get part of his money back (as some of the people in the tour has only taken the pyramids and it was cheaper). At the end, they reimburse the money corresponding to the church but, again, no excuses, no complimentary something (and it was the hotel fault).

Apart from these things, that give the idea that the people managing the hotel need to take service more seriously, it is a good option in Santa Fe.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ARUANO

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Denmark
Reviewed October 13, 2012

All in all I have had a pleasant stay at the NH Santa Fe. The hotel is rather new and therefore quite up to date. The room is comfortable. I have two negative remarks. It is quite easy to hear noise from the corridor and other rooms. Silence and darkness is important to me when changing time zones to get over the jet lag quickly. As I had the unpleasant experience of staying next to a group of men who sang from 2AM until 6AM when I got up, this particular inconvenience was rather noticed. Secondly I noticed that the breakfeast area was very poorly lit. The first morning I sat in the dark and was lucky enough to get to breakfeast early enough on the second day to sit under a lamp.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
Reviewed June 3, 2012

This NH hotel is very well located in Santa Fe, Mexico City's most modern business district, home of some the country's largest corporations headquarters. But as there are plenty of other options in the Santa Fe area, I will never again stay in this hotel, and will try to avoid the whole NH chain altogether. Here is why:

Rules and policies are the only thing that matters at the NH Santa Fe. Guest convenience and satisfaction are concepts unheard off by their staff and management. For example, after a long ride from the Benito Juarez International Airport (takes about 2 hours because of the traffic) I arrived at 1:30 p.m. on a business day with a prepaid (non-refundable) reservation, on a rush to shower, get dressed and run for a business meeting.

When I approached the front desk to check-in I was bluntly informed that check-in started at exactly 3 p.m., and not before. I asked whether they had ANY available rooms so I could check-in immediately, explaining them I was on a very tight schedule. They said no.

I asked if ANY guests had already checked-out that day for morning flights or else, leaving some rooms empty. The clerk said yes. Then I asked again if they could give me any room to shower and get dressed. They said no way. I asked why. The clerks (now I was talking with the two of them) said it was their policy. When I asked to see a manager I was nonchalantly informed that the manager was on a meeting and could not be disturbed. So, despite the $200 US + per night I had paid in advance, here I was in front of two rude, uncaring employees, unable to access a room 90 minutes early of their sacred check-in time, and denied the chance to even escalate my request to a manager.

Bottom line I had to change in a bathroom, leaving my luggage with my new friends from the reception desk, going unshowered to an important meeting.

When I returned to the hotel in the evening and was finally given a room, I could see it was well-furnished, slick and modern. And carried some surprises:

1) No complimentary water bottle. They want you to pay from the very first one. Not nice. The smaller bottle will cost you about $3 US each. In Mexico you simply can't drink tap water without getting sick. Some people even recommend you don't use it to brush your teeth or wash contact lenses. So you can easily imagine how hotels like this set the perfect tourist trap. On a business trip you rarely have time to stop by a grocery store to buy water, so you have to shut up and pay what they want.

2) They charge you for internet access. And at about $15 US per day it IS quite expensive. Tourist trap again. This is 2012. Internet is a commodity. A business hotel should simply always offer free, high speed wireless internet with their rooms. Specially when they are not on the cheap side, like this NH property.

3) They charge you even for calls to local 1-801 toll-fee numbers. Bummer.

4) There's a large desk in the room, very convenient, with a nice, slick metal lamp on top of it. Problem is the long, moving arm of the lamp gets EXTREMELY hot, hot enough to cook an egg - and to burn you badly, which I discovered the hard way. There was no warning sign, no indication of such a danger. This could lead to a very serious situation if you came with children, or if I had actually grabbed the lamp's arm with my full hand, instead of just accidentally giving it a light (and very painful) touch.

5) Lastly, and potentially worst of all (big problem had I been traveling with a companion): the rooms feature unlockable bathroom doors. You read it right: by design, there was no way to secure the door from inside the bathroom. There was a glass door separating the bathroom from the main room, and then inside separate glass doors for the toilet and the shower. But none of them could be locked. Big problem if you are a private person when it comes to using the toilet. And since there was a visible separation from the floor to the base of the door (read: it was not sealed or isolated), it's not hard to imagine what would happen with the natural odors if you use the toilet while a partner or travel companion is in the room. Plus, if you are seated in the toiled and, say, your girlfriend goes to brush her teeth, she would be able to see (and smell) your silhouette through the tinted glass. Not very sexy.

Because of these and other factors, including extremely poor service at the restaurant and other incidents of staff rudeness, I left pretty unhappy and will not return.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel altogether. If you have to stay at the Santa Fe business district in Mexico City, t...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank kontiki7
María Dolores F, Gerente at NH Collection Mexico City Santa Fe, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Dear Guest, I would like to thank you so much for the time you have dedicated to share your feed-back regarding the experience you had in our hotel NH Santa Fe. I value immensely your comments as the only way to improve our services and to align with the guests needs. Please accept my sincere apologies, on behalf of the entire team, for not having been able to meet your expectations during your stay. I would like to explain that the check in time is at 3.00p.m., we have a luggage room to leave all your personal belongings without any charge, as well as 30’ free wifi vouchers available at the Lobby. Of course there are procedures and manners to be followed by all the personnel that I will train again as they didn´t follow correctly.

I renew my apologies and I really hope to be able to serve you again for any other occasions at the expected level of excellence.

Best regards, The Manager
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 19, 2012

The NH Santa Fe is a very nice hotel in a good location. I was especially pleased with the kitchen staff. I have a special diet and the cook came out to my table and made a special dish for me.

I exercise every day and the gym is quite nice and they bring complementry juce in the morning. A very nice touch.

House keeping do a great job and are very friendly.

I travel to Santa Fe quite often only thing I dislike is that sometimes they are full and I cannot get a booking.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with NH Hoteles

Langhorne, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 29, 2012

I opted to stay here based on my first NH stay in Lyon. The hotel was modern looking and clean. The staff was extremely courteous, friendly and effficient. I had two meals and both were correct and priced well for a hotel. The location was very convenient and there is easy access (walking) to a vast amount of excvellent restaurants and bars.

Negatives: As mentioned before, the availability of wi-fi. Too expensive in this day and age. Also, the "wood" flooring in my room was peeling. I am not sure how old the hotel is, but that was not right. I did have some problems with the television, but it was fixed immediately.

All-in-all it was a good value for a business hotel in an upscale area

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
New York
Reviewed February 12, 2012

I had the need to stay one night in this hotel. Though very new and modern rooms. Service left me taken aback....Breakfast was completely cold...I spoke with management and they quickly removed the charge from my bill....Would I stay there again...perhaps in a pinch, yes.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Themindoftravel
Wellesbourne Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2012

NH Should be a good hotel but has too many limits! Let's start from wi-fi: you need to pay for it and you can only log one device (and nobody tells you this). Do you want to LG another device (even not at the same time)? Desk told me to buy another card! Of course I worked around (bridging).
Breakfart area is a construction area with too few seats.
Reception is not so welcoming and they are not proficient in English.
Room are cold and noisy. Bathroom is not properly clean. If you want to have a design room, then you need to keep it shining..

• Stayed January 2012