Camino Real Pedregal
$330
$215
HotelsForEveryone
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfront desk staffeasy accessmexicosfreewayuber
Reviewed May 6, 2011

Real nice hotel. Good service grat food in both restaurants. Next time I'll be in Mexico I will go back to this hotel

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed August 13, 2010

I stayed in this hotel on a trip sponsored by the government.

For such a new hotel, the rooms seemed quite dirty. There were food smudges on the wall, and what looked like blood or some other dark matter smudged above the bathroom light switch. And there were many spills and stains on the floor. The bathroom sink had water stains on it, which suggested that it had been cleaned incompletely.

Contrary to other reviews, I found the service quite friendly, if a bit inconsistent at times.

Some services seemed incomplete--I never saw signs or indications of the pool that was advertised on the website, and the restaurant's prices were ridiculous. $35 for breakfast?? This isn't the Waldorf Astoria, and they could charge $15 and still keep out the riffraff. Good thing I was on an expense account.

The hotel is in an extremely safe--but completely isolated and automobile dependent--part of town. I was lucky to have a driver, but if you don't you'll be spending lots of money on cabs, and will have to drive at least 30 minutes to go anywhere interesting. The nearest good night/dining spot is Charco de las Ranas ("croak of the frogs"). My hosts obviously wanted me to stay safe, but I would have traded some safety to be closer to the major sites.

One other complaint is that the Internet speeds and connectivity were atrocious. I paid $12.95/day for internet (I had to go to the front desk to get a new password EVERY DAY), and I would lose my connection regularly. I almost asked for a refund. I'd bet it's the equivalent of a 128K ISDN connection.
One positive rating: the beds were comfortable, and I slept quite well. I guess that's all that matters!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank erger78
Reviewed May 23, 2010

We have stayed in other Camino Real hotels over the years and have found them to be very good.
This time we spent 1 night and got a very good price (aproximately $140 US for 3 pax) through Expedia although the rate they have posted on reception is $400 US !!!
They claim to be a 5 star hotel which is overstaing the truth by at least a star and a half .
The room had large stains all over the carpet which immediately gave the impression of dirt and since the hotel is widely used by the Angeles Hospital next door we did not even want to think about what the stains might be. The bathroom only had ONE hand towel although we had paid a U.S $40 surcharge for our daughter to share the room. and nobody ever showed up to turn back the beds which had enough bedding on them for Alaska in December.
Our main complaint was that the a/c did not work:
Since it was up in the 90°s the a/c not working quickly became an issue and we called reception for help and they said they would send somebody from maintenance. We waited and waited and eventually fell asleep as we had driven for 5 hours and my daughter had got off a 14 hour flight. None of us slept for long and sweated it out all night.
The "courtesy" coffee in the room cost $35 MXP and we were astonished on checking out to be charged a 10% service charge on the coffee that we ourselves had made. We refused to pay it on principle. We also called for the duty manager to complain about the a/c and he was completely did-interested and never bothered to apologise. It is a constant problem in Mexico that the customer is NEVER right.
We will never, needless to say, stay in this hotel again and anybody wanting a hotel in the south of the city would be much better off at the Radisson Perisur.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank archibalda
Reviewed October 8, 2009

I read the reviews here and wasn't really sure what to expect, but overall, I had a very good experience there. I was there for two full weeks.

The room was very well-kept with a huge window and a beautiful view out to the mountains. It was thoroughly cleaned and restocked every day, and the staff were very friendly when I ran into them.

I had some initial problems getting connected to the internet, and I was disappointed to find that the fees were not included in the price of the room (this is unclear on their site). It ended up being roughly $10/day for internet, and I had to call the front desk every day to request a new username and password.

I don't speak Spanish, which could have been why I had a hard time explaining what I needed. Enough of the staff spoke English pretty well, but certainly not all did.

The restaurant on the second floor, Maria Bonita, is a taverna style restaurant with good food and a nice bar. The first floor restaurant is an Italian bistro that I only ate at once, and it was decent. You can also order any of the menu as room service - they were very prompt and I had some delicious room-service meals. The food at both is probably more expensive than local places (especially at the bistro), but not bad for a hotel.

Online sources about the hotel are vague about the existence of a pool (I never found it) and a convenience store on site. I think both used to exist, but I'm not sure if either still does.

You do have to pay for bottled water (although their water from the tap is filtered), but that's fairly typical at U.S. hotels so I wasn't surprised by it.

Sitio taxis from the airport were in the $30-$40 USD range.

For a business trip, it was perfect - I was also in short walking distance to my course, which was convenient.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 23, 2009

This was my third stay at the Camino Real Pedregal. I have written two other reviews, which appear below, and have previously given the hotel very poor marks. This time there was an improvement.

The reason I decided to stay here again, despite all my past problems, is the fact that I really only have 3 choices in hotels in this area - this one, the Radisson Paraiso and the Royal. I have stayed at all three. I could not sleep in the beds at the Radisson and the Royal is very very dated.

First off, let's talk about the rate problems I've had in the past. Again, as usual, the rate was confirmed in U.S. Dollars ($99). But now, when you check out they put the exchange rate in a very conspicuous place on the invoice. Previously, there was no exchange rate. So, this was an improvement. The exchange rate was also fair. Previously, I had complained about the rate being adjusted in their favor.

Service wise, everything was fine. Check in was efficient. Housekeeping was efficient. I really had no reason to complain.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo