“Viva Mexico!”

Crowne Plaza Hotel de Mexico
Ranked #68 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed July 16, 2012

This was a business trip to Mexico City for a Symposium with hairdressers from Mexico, Latin and Central America. As I do not speak the language and was traveling alone I was a little gun shy about the language barrier but as I checked in there was no problem what so ever. I was greeted and directed to check-in and was given great service and was informed about everything I needed to know about the hotel and what was near by.
The bellman brought up my bags and trunks and made sure I knew how to work everything from the AC to finding the hidden service bar. I do not think he was expecting a tip as the look on his face when I handed him 150 pesos was priceless and he must have thanked me 10 times!
The room was cozy but dark. There was a large window but when I opened it anyone could have see in as the hotel and other buildings were very close. I usually keep my windows open all the time as I love the natural light and to wake up with it as well.
The room was spotless and a little dated but it was a good size with a desk an extra table and a large bench at the end of the bed. The AC was not strong enough for me but I was really only in the room to sleep and adapted to the room not going below 75 degrees F. I like to sleep at about 70 degrees.
The bathroom was large with a jacuzzi and a stand up shower but the shower leaked all over the floor every morning and I had to use 2-3 towels to sop the water up. Still, it did not bother me.
The lobby of the hotel is large with very nice couches, big screen TV and a bar. The 2 restaurants had decent food and the larger one had a great breakfast buffet.
The hotel is just a couple blocks to the Trade Center and the sidewalks are very much in need of repair, ladies, bring an extra pair of shoes! Your heels could be ruined! Lot's of street food vendors and convenience store and pharmacy across the street.
The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. I had to purchase an ice pack and the concierge actually walked with me to a large grocery store about a block away!
I felt very safe as there were police around everywhere due to the presidential debates that were taking place.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
CrowneP, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel de Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

Dear Iyagirl,

Thank you for your comments and i would like to remind that because as a part of InterContinental Hotels Group we need to be pendient for our guest - Just because for our guest this Hotel was made - .
It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staffs efforts and takes the time to say thank you.
Kind Regards
Frnt Office Manager

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Average because I think price is just OK. Location is great if you are on business trip, easy to reach from everywhere.
Service is OK

1  Thank Diego S
CrowneP, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel de Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Dear Diego S,

We hope you will continue to use Crowne Plaza Hotel de Mexico as your lodging of choice and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Standard hotels, services are ok. Can go again. Not one of my favorites.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Mr. Esteban Z,

Your willingness to share your experience is genuinely appreciated; Thank you for your comments and we look forward to your return visit.

Regards,

Reviewed July 11, 2012

I've stayed in this hotel over 20 times, it is dependable and clean. Located near Insurgentes Sur close to the World Trade Center, the rooms are relatively spacious with nice showers and separate jacuzzi tubs. The lobby has a decent bar that serves food and two restaurants with a good selection of food choices. There are several restaurants within walking distance and I've never had, heard of or seen any issues with being out and about in this part of the city. The workout room is not good; its small and has very cheap equipment.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Dear Denis B,

Thank you for your positive feedback about our Hotel and location. Our apologies about your thoughts on the Gym, we already have a better equipment.
We are glad to know you are a repetitive guest; Thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Hotel de Mexico in this cosmopolitan city and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!.

Kind Regards

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed there for 4 nights during an exhibition in the WTC last June.
It's a very big hotel focused on businesspeople for the World Trade Center, which is just around the corner.
The room is spacious, airco works well, free drinks in minibar, good bed.
Rainshower didn't work and you can't open a window, which I regret a lot, but that's often the case in these kind of hotels.
However, my room was on the third floor, just above the huge ventilation fans outside which cool the whole hotel. The noise was very very loud and 24h/day. I was really tired fortunately so I was able to get some sleep anyway, but I've never experienced this before. Maybe I should have asked another room, but I had already unpacked my luggage and didn't bother.

The food is unfortunately very bad. In the restaurant I had a simple lasagne, but it was heated in the microwave, there was no salt and pepper on the table, just some dry bread, no oil or balsamico, no salad with it. Very poor for a 5 star hotel?? The housewine was like vinegar.
In the bar we ordered several dishes to share and to eat like tapas. Also this food was very poor quality. When I ordered proscuitto, they served me cubes of normal ham, saying that there was no proscuitto available? As if normal ham can substitute prosciutto, better to just tell that it's not available I suppose.
The breakfast is even worse. I've eaten in many 4 and 5 star hotels, but this breakfast was the worst I've seen. Even in a 2 or 3 star hotel or B&B, it's better. The selection was very limited and the quality very bad. I ended up eating fruit and cornflakes every morning. For coffee, we had to ask for it ourselves after 15 minutes and it took another 15 minutes to be served!

The gym is even the worst experience of them all. All of the equipment is very bad and doesn't work. There is also never any personnel present. I found it incredible in such a hotel.

The positive side of the hotel is the staff, they are very friendly. As well at the reception, the restaurant and the concierge. Another positive point is the central location and proximity of the WTC.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel de Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2012

Dear Simon D,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Crowne Plaza around. We appreciate your wonderful comment regarding our friendly staff, spacious room and good bed.

However, It sounds like we fell below your expectations especially on the food selection, the noise on your room and the gym. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed June 25, 2012

I stayed for business in the Hotel de Mexico, and I was nicely surprised with very good service and very cozy rooms. Althoght you may hear a big airplane coming by (the hotel it is just beneath the landing path), most of them pass unnoticed. Breakfast buffet it average, but works very good if you are ina hurry. You wil not find a nicer hotel south Viaducto and near Insurgentes sur.

• Stayed: June 2012

Dear Signore_Colomo,

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments about your stay, we appreciate your feedback and are glad you enjoyed the guest service and guest room.
We hope you will continue to use Crowne Plaza Hotel de Mexico as your lodging of choice.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

Nice room, with an inward looking aspect that meant that it was quiet. Very close to the World Trade Centre. I ventured out a couple of times at night for dinner and found the area around the WTC to be busy and safe.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
CrowneP, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel de Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Dear freq_biz_tripper,

Thank you for your positive feedback about our location and guest rooms
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Kind Regards,