“Decent hotel in an excellent location”

NH Mexico City Centro Historico
Ranked #41 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sydney, Aust
“Decent hotel in an excellent location”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I stayed at this hotel from 30/11/12 to 4/12/12 (will be checking out today) in a single non smoking king sized room.

Pros:
- Excellent location, can't get better than this. The hotel is one block away from the Zocalo. There are plenty of shops of all description around the hotel and also within walking distance.
There is a restaurant called Wings (not part of the hotel) that is next door. This restaurant opens till quite late each night and so is ideal for when you don't want to venture too far out after a long day of sightseeing. I ate there twice and found the food decent and the prices reasonable.

- There is a branch of Banamex opposite the hotel with attached ATM machines (2 machines) that accepts foreign cards and has helpful instructions in English. I found it very useful for withdrawing additional pesos as needed.

- The reception was very helpful, always replying to queries and requests promptly with a smile.
Unfortunately they do not have foreign exchange services but with a bank opposite the hotel I don't see this as a problem. I found them always willing to break up big Mexican notes into smaller denominations for me and also giving me notes in exchange for a whole bunch of coins.
They were willing to give me advice on places to see and do and also provided me with a map of the area which I found quite useful.

They also provided me with an iron and king sized best on request.

- The in-room Wireless internet was fast and hassle free. I understand that it is not free but it was included in my tariff so I can't comment on that.
What I can advise is that they give you a code for the internet on check in that equates to 24 hours. The 24 hours is NOT continous but can be spread over 3 days. Since I stayed here for 4 nights my internet ran out on the 3rd day. I called reception who provided me with a new code and away I went - relatively hassle free.

- A bottle of water is provided free in the room (500ml). There are also 2 other bottles of water in the room (1.5L each) which are not free - 35 pesos each.
I used one of those bottles the first day that I was at the hotel since I arrived late at night. My advice however is to go the the 7 eleven store in the next street where you can buy 1.5L water (albeit not of the same quality but ok) for 8 pesos each.

Cons:
- There is no fridge in the room so any food items bought elsewhere have to be consumed pretty quickly.
Room service (which I used on 2 occasions) was not cheap. The food however was decent and the wait not long.

- Laundry: I ended up not using the hotel laundry service since the first day I left the laundry to be collected & arrived back that night to find that it was still sitting in the same location.
It is possible to hand wash everything in the sink (decent size). There is nowhere to hang clothes to dry in the bathroom. However, I found that clothes hung in the closet with the door open dried within the same day which tells me that the ventilation in the room is quite good.
I managed to wash and dry a pair of jeans so unless you have very heavy and bulky clothes I beleive it is possible to avoid the hotel laundry service altogether if desired.

- Housekeeping can be improved: sheets and linen are changed promptly each day but my box of tissues was never replaced and the toilet paper provided sometimes is not enough. However, requests for more toilet paper is answered quickly and with courtesy.

- Coffee maker is provided in the room but the coffee is not free.

- The room can get quite dark. I found that I always have to turn on all the lights.

- As had been mentioned in previous reviews the bath tub is a strange design that is not good for short or mobility restricted people, even though a step was provided.
It is not as slippery as some people has mentioned but you do have to be careful getting in and out. The water pressure however is good and the provided amenities (soap, bath gel and shampoo) decent.
The biggest problem for me is that there is no door to the bathroom, which means that theoretically anyone who has access to the room can open the door and see you standing in the shower, having a direct line of sight.
It is also very easy to flood the bathrrom since the screen to the tub/shower combination is tiny.

- There is no radio or clock in the room at all.

Other:
- TV included the usual channels, CNN etc...

Overall I beleive that the pros outweighs the cons (provided you are a reasonably mobile person due to the bathrooom issues mentioned above) and would recommend this place.
As a single female traveller it is hard to beat the location and sense of security felt.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the lifts - soundproofing is excellent.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank austraveller007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
Paris, France
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Booked thru booking a 3 night stay mid-late november 2012, for about 125 USD per night, room only and inclusive of all taxes. The first=wonderful, the second=HORRIBLE, the third=wonderfull....

We decided to go for the Junior Suite, to enjoy extra room, and to be on the corner of the building. As it was advertised so from their website. And regretted every second on the second night.

This happened to us :
The first night was thursday, nothing special. The second was friday and we had the LOUDEST music playing from a speaker placing right in front of our window, from the KARAOKE-nightclub across the street, from 8 PM to 6 AM next morning, NONSTOP. We eventually called the reception by midnight and received the assurance they would move us to another room the next day, but by that time, the hotel was fully booked. Then we went back to bed with earplugs (sigh). We were move to a superior room next day, facing the patio, and leaving the crazy saturday music to the unfortunate folks who have been assigned to those terrible street facing room.

We liked (this does not mean the hotel is bad by itself, it was very good in fact):
Location is great, near the Zocalo and even if everything goes quiet at night, there are enough choices of restaurants and convenient stores. Wonderful bed to sink into. Free wifi. No kettel but a coffee machine helps us make boiling water. Decoration is warm and tasteful. Reception is all time polite and efficient.

We did not like :
Nothing if we could have avoided the weekend stay... And the noise coming from the floor above can be annoying to some sensitive ears.

Tips :
Stay where you want on any day of the week, as rooms are of high standards. On weekend, ask for those facing the courtyard, where you won't hear even a honk from the street, but then your window will be small.

Conclusion:
It was for us a so so stay and we still regret the reception did not prevent us upon check in, from this inconvenience, so we could have moved to another room when it was possible to. To us, there is NO WAY they don't know this. And it was an inexcusable professionnal fault, that we intend to pass to all tripadviser readers, so fellow travellers would react accordingly towards this hotel attitude.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard are quieter
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ogutierrez2017, Gerente at NH Mexico City Centro Historico, responded to this review, May 3, 2017
Dear BEEPfromPARIS,

We are sorry that you had a disappointing experience during your stay with us. At NH Mexico City Centro Historico we always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for and valued. Your feedback will help us deliver this brand promise, let me tell you that I have taken your comments to our team to ensure that in the future we do a better job.

We really hope you consider to stay with us again in the future and demonstrate this is not how we usually treat our guests.

Olivia Gutierrez
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We only stayed one night so it was fine .... but the bathroom was an awkward design with an extra door into the toilet and a stool to climb into the bath. The buffet breakfast was a bit chaotic and there wasn't much variety. Our relatives who stayed for three nights said it was a good location for sightseeing and close to the Zocalo.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear jilly13_11,

Sydney
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Firstly, thank you so much to the great staff at NH Centro. We got robbed on the way to the hotel and the staff were very considerate and helped us immensely. Thank you so much !
The rooms are a pleasant surprise, given the price we paid i wasn't expecting too much but the rooms and bathroom were newly decorated and comfortable. Nothing flash but it was fine for a few days. We ended up with two single beds which wasn't ideal but it was still ok (we just pushed them together). The bathroom is a little small but it was probably the best bathroom we had in mexico - the shower head worked properly and the water pressure wasn't weak.
The hotel has a computer in the lobby which you can use the internet on, it also has a gym with basic but new equipment.
The location is really good, very close to the pedestrian mall with shops, restaurants, cafes, and also close to Zocalo station and all the sightseeing parts in historico.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 9, 2012

When my partner and I arrived, we were taken to a room with two single beds. We asked the bellboy if we could move to a room with a queen-sized bed. He called the lobby and they told him that we had to wait until the room was clean or until check-in time and to bring our luggage downstairs for storage. So we went to Zocalo to tour around and came back to hotel and they told us there were no rooms with a queen-sized bed unless we upgraded to a junior suite. They only had rooms with single beds. Then she offered to put the beds together. After the drama, I told the hotel attendant, "OK, put the beds together." And she said she had a room with the beds together. Why couldn't she offer this from the beginning? The shower has European style glass, where the glass only goes halfway and doesn't cover the shower area completely. Additionally, the area under the glass had a gap and it was very easy to flood the bathroom with water escaping from under. Needless to say, when we took showers, we made sort of a mess.
I tried to increase the room's temperature on the thermostat but it would go back to 70F. I didn't feel like complaining because that would mean changing rooms which I didn't feel like doing. Usually rooms come with an extra blanket in case one needs it and this one didn't. The desk didn't have a chair. Does it not come with a chair or was this one missing? Isn't this supposed to be a hotel for business persons? There is a safe that will fit your laptop.

The hotel has a package where for $110 pesos you get your mini bar stocked with several items. The friend I traveled with ordered the package. They didn’t bring it until late that day after asking for it about two or three times. He had left with reception a list of the items he wanted. He had to repeat once again the items he had ordered when complaining of why we hadn't received them. Though when booking the room through Booking.com the breakfast was included, the hotel didn’t get that notice and kept giving us a hard time about breakfast not being included with our room and trying to sell us the breakfast package. We had to speak with the manager on our last morning there and were asked to forward the e-mail from Booking.com to show that breakfast was included. My friend showing them the reservation with his Iphone didn’t have validity. The front desk clerk had said we had to deal with Booking.com and that we had to pay for breakfast. In the U.S., we wouldn’t have had to go through all that trouble and drama and they would have taken care of this right there at the restaurant.

I will give kudos to one of the girls at the front desk who took the time to explain to me which metro to take to the Ciudadela arts and crafts market, highlighting the map for me, etc. I do like the fact that the toilet is separated by a door, giving you a little privacy. The rates for a taxi taken from the hotel are very high. If you use caution and use the white taxis "de sitio" with the b at the beginning of the license plates, you don't have to necessarily use the hotel ones because the price is more than twice of what you pay for a street taxi.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Malena0909
Dear Malena0909,

St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed October 14, 2012

NH Centro was a very good place to stay in Mexico City. It was next to the Zocalo, and next to a pedestrian only street with many places to eat and get ice cream. The room was clean and big and had air conditioning. The reception was helpful and friendly. It was easy to walk to museums and shopping. The hotel arranged an excellent and reasonably priced tour of the pyramids.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Queretaro, Mexico
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights at the end of September 2012. I tried to book online and they said they only had rooms with individual beds for those dates. Since I needed a really late check-in and wanted to guarantee my stay, I called their customer service. They were really friendly and helped me a lot; the person who took my call made the booking for me and managed to get me a room with a King size bed, which was what I wanted in the first place.
When we arrived at the hotel, we found it alright. The room was nice and of a considerable size for the area. The bed was really comfortable, as well as the pillows. No additional bedding was provided, at all. The bathroom was simply OK. Toiletries were provided (and smelled delicious), and one complimentary 500ml bottle of water. There were other water bottles there, 2l ones, but the price was way too expensive: 35 pesos (approximately 2 pounds) is too much to pay for a bottle of water in Mexico.
As we were driving, we needed a place to put away our car, but the hotel doesn't own a parking garage. They have a deal with a garage that provides the service for a fee. The lady at the front desk told us it was a 24hr service and she gave us directions which were wrong. When we at last managed to find the garage, it was closed, so we had to pay in another one but reported the incident the next day. The area is quite safe, but I'd rather pay than not find my car the next morning.
The AC didn't work properly during our first night, but we asked the front desk to fix it and they did so very promptly. Our fee didn't include any meals, so I cannot comment on that. The area, however, is full with shops and restaurants that are open until quite late. There's a restaurant called Sanborn's just half a block away to the left, which is one of my favorites. To the right and halfway around the corner there's a Vips and just on the left corner of the hotel there's another restaurant called Wings. They're all good and reasonably priced.
The bathroom was a different story. To get in and out of an incredibly small bathtub, you need to either sit down on the unreasonably large edge of the tub (since I have no idea what to call it) or climb into it, since there are no steps. No handrails or anything of the sort are provided, so people with mobility issues might not even consider this hotel at all.
I know the area is quite busy, but the curtains blacked out the glare and either I was really tired or they have invested in noise-canceling windows, for it was really a nice and quiet stay.
I would not recommend this hotel for more than a couple of nights stay, since it's not really that comfortable, but location wise, it is excellent to get to know Mexico City's historical centre and the front desk can always get you a safe cab (taxi seguro) to take you anywhere else you would like to visit.

Room Tip: The last rooms on each floor are a little bit larger, we stayed on room 123, it had a small window b...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family