“Nice Place but too Noisy”
Review of Condesa DF

Condesa DF
Ranked #142 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed February 15, 2010

Very chic hotel. Friendly staff. Love that the hotel allows dog. Nice restaurant/bar. However, it was too noisy. Can't sleep at night.

• Stayed: February 2010

Reviewed December 13, 2009

If you are looking for a nice little boutique hotel -- look elsewhere!

The room the put us in was dirty (used toothpaste and bits of hair in sink, filth in toilet) and the door look was broken (in fact it looked like someone had tried to break it down - split wood around the hinges)
They apologized and said they'd get another room ready and move us in about 20min. In the meantime they cleaned the bathroom so we could use it while we waited which was convenient although i would hardly call the toilet "sanitized for my protection".
We waited for 40 min and they had still not called to say the new room was ready. When i called down they said it would be another 20min or so as there was a problem with the other room. I told them we were going to eat and asked them to move our luggage to the new room. When we got back to the hotel 2 hrs later the room was still not ready. When we finally did get into our new room it was presentable but definitely not up to the caliber one would expect. If our trip was not so short we would have switched hotel then and there but it seemed silly to waste a couple hrs changing hotel when we could be out exploring the city.
Even if you dont mind dirty rooms and rude serve, keep in mind that at night the hotel turns into a night club and is loud.
The neighborhood is great though. Very quiet and clean by Mexico City standards looks of good restaurants and cafes.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank traveler_jim91
Reviewed November 13, 2009

We were astonished at the terrible service at this hotel. My husband and I were here on the first week of November and were so looking forward to our visit, having read about the hotel on several magazines. To our dismay, the service was blatantly terrible, snotty and unapologetic. We had breakfast there on Sunday, after having read about their sumptuous breakfast on Travel and Leisure magazine, hoping that just maybe this would sweeten our overall experience some. Alas, the service was so bad that we had to cancel our order after a 40 minute wait. We were for sure not being unreasonable - the couple seated at a table nearby also cancelled their order and took off. If anything, seemingly, travel magazines are not looking into this or are merely being tipped off to speak wonders of this hotel.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AGGIE_DFW
Reviewed November 7, 2009

Yes, the hotel can be a bit noisy. I had a suite on the 1st floor and I could just about hear the music whilst in bed. I was too jet-lagged to notice and slept through it without any problems. There was only music played loudly on 2 out of 5 nights that I stayed, so it was not loud every night. Also the walls and windows are a bit thin and you get noise from the neighbours.

However, the neighbourhood is very quiet and the hotel is well situated in attractive Condesa. The roof top bar really is a nice place to take a drink in the evening and the staff throughout the hotel are pleasant, friendly and professional. Breakfast is also good.

I would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 10, 2009

Everything at the Condesa--from the room-to the food-to the service-to the location---was perfect. My boyfriend and I have stayed in some very expensive hotels and nothing so far even compares to the amazing Condesa. We just had dinner tonight---one year after our trip--and spent the evening reminiscing about our amazing trip and the most relaxing vacation imaginable. Yes, that is right, in the most chaotic city we found absolute peace and tranquility. We had great adventure and culture all day and came home at night to heaven. I love this hotel so much. We are going to Playa Del Carmen next month and are staying at the Basico and the Deseo which are both Grupo Habita hotels and are so excited.We have high expectations for a fabulous trip after our wonderful time at the Condesa. Next time we go to Mexico City we plan on staying at the Habita for part of the trip and of course the Condesa! Recommendations for food--the rib eye tacos are amazing! Also, the drinks are fabulous.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2009

My husband and I stayed here in February after debating between the Four Seasons and the Condesa DF. While the hotel is aesthetically pleasing (some say over-stylized), it is style over substance and was not worth the expense. We opted for a balcony room so were very surprised when there was no balcony. Further, the service was pretty nonexistent. I think everyone was too busy practicing their hipster poses. On our first night, we went to the roof to have a pre-dinner drink. The bar was totally empty as it was 7 pm and we were told we would have to sit at the bar (which was cold and not covered) instead of on the comfy sofas with blankets. I explained that we were only staying for one drink and after a few minutes of consideration we were permitted to sit in the covered "lounge" area. I had high expectations for this hotel and I thought it was average. The location was in the Condesa neighborhood, but I wasn't terribly impressed with that neighborhood either. On a positive note, the hotel had wonderful croissants, excellent toiletries and a really nice gift shop with gorgeous jewelry.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2009

This is a really cool hotel - the furnishings, bar, courtyard etc are all really beautiful, modern and impressive. The location is also sensational.

We had a problem with noise. Aside from the people noise (the bar upstairs till 2am, the atrium inner courtyard dinner till 1.30am, the ground floor night club till 4am) we had an additional motor humming noise in our room. I rang the front desk at 1am and they eventually managed to shut it off, but by the time we awoke the next morning it was going again. Also, the people noise was going again (breakfast starts at 7am in the central courtyard). We told the front desk about our noise issues, and they promptly moved us to another room (an upgrade to a suite too, which was lovely). The noise was a million times better in the new room.

I guess what I'm saying is that among all of the glowing reviews you read on this place (and in fairness, it IS a beautiful hotel in an awesome location), you never read about the noise issues. I felt I had to get it out there. If you can afford a suite, then you probably won't have any issues, but if you're after a standard room, watch out. Even in the suite the people noise was still in the background - they provide you with ear plugs for this reason.

Go to the Condesa df for a drink on the upstairs terrace bar. Then, go back to another hotel for a good night's sleep!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple