“Wonderful Experience”

Gotan Restaurante Argentino
Ranked #53 of 4,897 Restaurants in Mexico City
Cuisines: Argentinean, Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Timetable. Monday to Friday 1 pm to 9.30. Saturday from 2 pm to 10.00 Pm No card
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My daughter and I dined at Gotan during our final evening in Mexico City before flying home the next morning. It turned out to be a great way to cap off our 2-week vacation, which was spent mostly in Oaxaca. This is a delightful, small family-run restaurant, and I hope the owners aren't overwhelmed by too many customers once word gets out. I snapped the photo below of their new sign, which was being installed the evening we were there.

Our hosts made us feel comfortable and at home, as if we had been invited into their dining room. All the food was carefully and perfectly selected and prepared. When we had finished our meal, we were disappointed to find that we were simply too full to order any of the tempting desserts. But then, to our delight, we were brought a complementary creation to share. We had enjoyed our meal so much that our hostess simply wouldn't permit us to leave before sampling another of her grandmother's recipes. Absolutely, incredibly delicious.

I was sorry that we only discovered Gotan on our final evening in Mexico City, for had we known about it sooner, we would have dined there every night! I look forward to returning in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,051)

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Absolutely delicious meal here. The meat and sides were fantastic, and the service was top notch. They did not speak English, but surprised me with a tablet and translated on the fly, super impressive. Highly recommend this place. (Note: They do not take international credit cards)

Reviewed August 19, 2013

If you are in Mexico City, or even near Mexico City, this is the one restaurant you absolutely have to go to! It was the best food I had during my vacation, and one of the best restaurants out there for sure. The service was amazing, and the people were very friendly and kind. The owners are so generous and welcoming! All of the food was incredible and delicious. The next time I visit Mexico, going to this restaurant will be on the top of my to-do list. Make sure to go to this fantastic restaurant during your trip!

2  Thank 221Zoe
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Let's be honest, I also went to Gotan to check if reviews were not fake ones. And I thank God to have made me a suspicious guy. Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez...What an experience! This is not a restaurant, this is a place where food and people make you feel not good but better. It's a happiness machine.

Let's talk about food. Fried empanadas were tasteful and light, meat just amazing of taste and tenderness (best colita de cuadril of my entire life), the milanesa a la napolitana escalope perfectly cooked and spiced, and the cheese cake desert worthy of best Belgian pâtissiers (connoisseurs know what I mean). By the way, I'm Argentinian (and Belgian too).

I did not drink wine because there were not 37,5cl bottles (I like to see a bottle being emptied) but they propose wine per glass and 75cl ones. A Negra Modelo made it perfectly.

The service... As amazing as food. Viviana and Juan don't only make you feel as an important guest, but as a friend. I took a book as I was eating alone and I could not open it... And I did not want to. Juan and Viviana are passionate, talented and generous. So generous that the bill is also a pleasure. And they do that on purpose because they welcome everybody.

Gotan is a unique experience, and is what a restaurant should be. And I'll be back in my next biz trips.

1  Thank Gaucho_belga
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I left this restaurant beaming. The food was delicious combined with amazing service. I recommend the meat dishes and the four cheese spagetti. Although a little bit hard to find it was worth the push as all in all it was the best dining experience I have ever had!