“excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Morimoto

Morimoto
Reserve with OpenTable
Morimoto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #85 of 4,236 Restaurants in Mexico City
Cuisines: Japanese, Seafood, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Leibnitz-Kant
Transit: Polanco - Anzures
Description: The highest expression of Japanese cuisine, using ingredients with vibrant and exquisite presentation mulched by the famous Shoos Studio into the legendary Camino Real Polanco; Morimoto's design encompasses Mexico City lifestyle of the city in conjunction with the Japanese tradition. The main dome and a large window offer a perfect view of the sky. The wooden floor extends to the outside; the lamps represent elegance and fragility of Japanese ceramics. The furniture and walls of glass result in an atmosphere of comfort during the day and night.
Cancun, Mexico
“excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

The restaurant is very nice, but I think the smoking area has a better atmosphere and decor that the non-smoking area. I'm not a smoker, but I decided to stay in the smoking area, fortunately no one was smoking. We decided to order the "omakase", this is an eight-course Tasting. "omakase" means that you trust the chef and he chooses the dishes that you will dine. The care was excellent, each of the dishes were delicious. I do not eat red meat so the chef made ​​some adjustments for me.
The decor in the bathroom is great, so be sure to visit them.

• Visited May 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
girdwood
“If only the service could have been as good as the food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

It is with a heavy heart that I write this review. I would like to start by saying that the food we did receive was wonderful, exactly what I had hoped for when I learned there was a Morimoto in Mexico City on our last night in town. Unfortunately, I'm not writing this review to tell you how much we enjoyed the tasting menu. Or that the Morimoto inspired drinks and menus were better than we had hoped for. Instead, I'm writing to say that Mr Morimoto should be ashamed to have his name attached to the restaurant that I ate in tonight. If I had anything to do with the management of Morimoto DF I would be replacing my entire front of the house staff from May 10th 2013. Including the bartenders and hosts I counted at least 12 people working. When our night fell apart we were one of only two tables these untrained professionals had to wait on. I am a chef and my wife is a restaurant manager, and the lack of service and or management we witnessed tonight made most of the rest of our trip to Mexico seem like an evening at the French Laundry. Anyone who has ate out in Mexico will appreciate the irony in that statement. So now the review.
Up until the third course we had been mostly waited on by one person, with the food being run by another person. The only complaint we had at that point was that with a limited wine list, they did not have our first two choices. No problem, that's part of being a restaurant, sometimes you run out. When our fourth course came out, beautifully done octopus in awesome sauce with pickled? cucumber, our server was nowhere to be found. Who cares right, there's 11 other people with nothing to do, they'll take care of us, right? Nope. It was from this point on that I started pouring the wine for my wife and myself, always noticed once the glasses were full, but never as they sat empty. I won't mention this again, but it went on for the rest of dinner. When our fifth course came out it was what the menu had described as the sixth course. Now is where the night really started falling apart. We ate the duck, the best either of us had ever had, and then asked about the missing course. First we were told "oh, let me find out", then another waiter said the sixth course was the fifth course. Now I only speak limited Spanish, but I read 1 - 6 easily enough, and sixth is fifth doesn't make any sense to me at all. At this point, had any one been in charge, any kind of management at all, they could have said, " give them a piece of nigiri and call it the sixth/fifth course. But with no management, and no one willing to do anything to resolve the problem, nothing happened. And I mean nothing. It took at least ten minutes of everyone talking to decide that they would ignore the error and serve us dessert, with no more explanation than the one I already provided. Sixth was fifth?. And there is no sixth. The last thing we heard from anyone for forty minutes was a quick description of the dessert. And then we sat there, as twelve employees avoided us in any way possible. Sometime while eating dessert our waitress reappeared, but was no longer our waitress I guess, because she made no attempt to come by or check on us or even look in our direction, the middle of the restaurant. After waiting for anything or anyone, my wife finally went to the host stand to ask for assistance. Again we were told that the missing course should not have been on the menu, something I agree with considering it was non existent, and that she would have someone help us. They then offered us a free cocktail, but had not yet given us out sparkling wine that comes at the end of the menu. We refused the free drink, asked for the wine and figured perhaps our cocktails (2) would be removed from the check. Nope. Nothing. And then our original waitress came over with the check and explained that we would need to add gratuity to the bill before she could run it. What gratuity! For what?! We left about fifteen percent I think, in pesos if management reads this review and checks the bill, something we felt obligated to do because of how we make our money, but It made me mad because I had made such a big deal about eating somewhere like Morimoto and the level of service we would receive, and then we just gave them money for nothing. As I said I am a chef. If I saw this in my restaurant, we would seriously consider hiring a new staff and reopening once we had trained them. But with no management available to see the lack of anything resembling a trained service staff that I saw tonight I imagine it will continue on, while dragging Morimoto's name, and everything he's done to get to this point, down into the same abyss that most great chefs fall into after opening too many restaurants and letting them run themselves, without the attention to detail that made them famous in the first place. If possible, I will be sending this same review to Mr. Morimoto himself. Hopefully he will feel it necessary to correct these problems before you dine at Morimoto DF. I am attaching a picture of the tasting menu so there is no doubt that the mistake was not ours, but theirs. I also invite management to reply with contact information so that we can discuss how they failed us tonight and how they can avoid these mistakes in the future.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank deathhat
Brazil
“Morimoto is just an awesome Japanese restaurant in Mexico!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Morimoto is located at Camino Real Hotel in Polanco. This would already be a great excuse to have lunch or dinner to see the beautiful Mexican architecture of this hotel. More importantly is the great service and food quality of Morimoto. One of the most tasty Japanese restaurants I’ve been to! If you like the more traditional style, you got it. If you’re more into contemporary and fusion style you also got. Don’t miss it!

• Visited April 2013
Mexico City, Mexico
“A culinary experience as unique as delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

My husband and I are both foodies, in his case he is also a chef and we both look for experiences for our palate as a spice to our marriage. When we heard Morimoto had opened a new restaurant in our hometown we were excited. We just had our second baby and had been planning on a special night out to celebrate the completion of our family and our 10th anniversary. Morimoto was our choice and we definitely did not regret it. We asked for the 1st tasting menu to share (apparently they have multiple ones) and 4 different dishes that sounded great. By the tenth course we were regretting asking for too much food, because although it was delicious, our stomachs were about to be full, each dish is well served so even for two people, sharing one tasting menu and 2 dishes would have been enough. It would have been 7 courses and it was 10 with all the extra dishes we asked for. Each course was delicious, the services was fantastic and we were glad they did not push us to order alcohol which can be a problem sometimes for us, with waiters pushing it to run up the check. It was fantastic and we are looking forward to going back. We will save up for a few months to return.

• Visited April 2013
Los Angeles
“Marimoto was just ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

After watching Chef Marimoto on various cooking shows over the years, it intrigued me that he had a restaurant in Mexico City. Although I am not a fan of having sushi in a city that is so far from costal areas, I tried it last night. I live in Los Angeles and typically, when you go to an expensive Japanese restaurant, the service is incredible - and knowledgeable. At this restaurant, it was like hearing a bad actor read his or her lines. They also seemed to be in a rush all the time. We got in about a half hour before closing time but if two people are going to spend $300 in your restaurant, you either tell them not to order the tasting or you suck it in and let them enjoy each course. The food was ok (just ok) but not what I would have expected from an "Iron Chef". Some of the ingredients did not seem as fresh as they should have been. I was also surprised at the quality of the sushi (which was one of the courses) as it tasted like the type of sushi you get at a supermarket sushi stand. Long story short, I can take this Iron Chef's place off my to go to list - but I am not going back. It did not help that they asked us to sit in their "lovely" courtyard - it ended up being very cold in there and to top it all, this morning I wake up with the sniffles !

• Visited March 2013