“Not a typical Business Hotel”
Review of W Mexico City

W Mexico City
Ranked #28 of 310 Hotels in Mexico City
O'Fallon, Missouri
“Not a typical Business Hotel”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

How to describe the "W". Let's say it is sleek and modern but not made for business travelers. Or for that matter any traveler over 5 foot tall. There isn't a comfortable chair in the room. They are all way too low to the floor. The hamock in the shower is another interesting touch. Not sure what the purpose or intention of the hamock is supposed to be. The room itself was very large and clean. I just wish it was more user friendly. Traveling alone I didn't have an issue with the open floor plan of the bathroom/shower but this could be an issue when traveling with someone else.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
W_Experience, Manager at W Mexico City, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Sjack80724
Thank you for the complete feedback you have provided. This level of detail is important for us so we know exactly how we can improve for future experiences.

I offer you a sincere apology for the inconveniences, please rest assure that we already started working on your observations and we aim for nothing else but to create wonderful experiences.

Regards from Mexico City,

W Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Greek first
new york city
Reviewed July 20, 2013

It feels old and tired. The design of the hotel is there but everything seems old and needs to be updated or replaced. The room has a weird bathroom, the bathtub is a round bowl shaped tub. There is only a rain shower over it, basically you'll have to wet your hair when you shower, and if you shower normally the entire area around the tub (the whole bathroom will be wet. There is a toilet room which is extremely small, you'll have to maneuver around the toilet seat to close the door. The wifi is good and dependable. The spa (I didn't use but took a peek) looks amazing. The location is great, near Palanco, close to some fantastic restaurants and shops. Check out Lincoln (Emilio Castelar 163), a fantastic Mexican restaurant in a beautiful mansion in Polanco and also the ultra chic lifestyle and fashion store Common People nearby.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gnewey
W_Experience, Gerente at W Mexico City, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Hi Gnewey

Thanks for your comments.

I offer you a apology for the inconveniences, we definitely will take all the good and not so good and work with it so we can meet all of our guests expectations.

Looking forward to see again in a near future!

Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Planned a weekend getaway in my hometown to the W hotel in Mexico City.

Got a Spa+Hotel package. The spa is OK, however the steamroom is old and there are many tiles missing. There is no pool in the Spa, only a lukewarm "hot tub". The room we got terribly maintained, broken marble pieces, peeled paint, old furniture. No minibar in the rooms. The WC had a leak and we had to give it a fix after every use. The beds are super soft and the pillows are clearly synthetic, also super soft. We stayed from Saturday to Sunday, and started hearing hammering in someplace in the building, don't understand why they would do maintenance on a Sunday. There is a concrete wall at the very entrance of the hotel, under a "green" wall. The plants under the green wall are totally dry and dead.
The lobby bar is cool but unfortunately very empty, it did see better days years ago. The personnel is friendly and helpful. The hotel location couldn't be better.
We truly expected much much more from a W hotel, moreover being the only one in Mexico. Don't think we would go back, there are many other great options in Mexico City, such as Las Alcobas, Four Seasons, St Regis or Westin.
Too bad they have not invested a penny in years at this hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
W_Experience, Manager at W Mexico City, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Hi Gerardo K

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered. I want you to know that we have taken action in this matter.

Mr Gerardo , I do hope you will give us a new opportunity in the near future to redeem ourselves for your complete satisfaction. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me. luz.madrid@whotels.com

Regards,

Luz Marid
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

I just came back from a two night stay with the W in Polanco. It was my second time staying here.

My girlfriend's bag was left in Cancun and arriving at 1am meant the airline was as good as useless.

At checkin the staff not only helped with some basic amenities, a change of shirt for her but also helped us plan out our day. The welcome drink helped too!

We were given a high floor room with great views.

When we woke up the concierge had already been in touch with the airline, located the bag and arranged to have it brought to the hotel. Vacation rescued!

The only negative I would say is having to pay for a late check out which is included at most Starwood hotels with my SPG status. However in light of the exceptional service dealing with our lost bag I can hardly complain.

• Stayed July 2013
W_Experience, Manager at W Mexico City, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Vanderjas

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and observations. We definitely will take all the great, good and not so good and work with it so we can meet all of our guests expectations.

Looking forward to welcoming you at any time!

CHI
Reviewed July 7, 2013

First my recommendation, if you can, stay in the St Regis, Four season or Hyatt before this one, I had better experiences in all of them. If you have no other choice (since the others are usually booked) then DO NOT send any laundry or asked for anything extra than the room, the service is not good. Specially the experience manager Luz Madrid. Avoid contacting her at all cost, it seems she is running the hotel in practice (instead of the Manager) and she is not nice, believe me.

We stayed for the weekend in W City because it´s close to a cool area called polanco. The infrastructure in general was OK, according to W standards, the big problem they have is with people management, in particular problem resolution, it is way worse than W standards (check my W Chicago review). It took 2 days to follow a solution I had to proposed since they could not think on how to solve a minor problem. And they fixed it because I booked the room using a corporate account, so someone from my office had to call to have them fix a 80 USD problem when the total stay was around 1000 USD.

(As a minor extra they don't have a pool)

People avoid it if you can. Don´t use anything extra if you can't.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank HernanCHI
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Reading a few of the other reviews of the W in Mexico City on TripAdvisor, I started to wonder if I stayed at the same property. I did NOT consider the property to be dated in the slightest. I loved everything about it. Wonderful service, delicious cocktails at the bar, beautifully decorated rooms. 'Tired', a buzzword used by a few other reviewers, just doesn't come to mind...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
W_Experience, Manager at W Mexico City, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Hi Aferdeline

We are truly thrilled about your great comments and we thank you for takin the time to post them.

We look forward to seeing you again really soon and rest assure we will too your last experience!

See you

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Outdated rooms, poor attention to details, especially on how clean the rooms are. Great location but you can expect more. Hope they do a renovation soon as the careless attentions to details makes them look bit cheap

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Cazfab
W_Experience, Manager at W Mexico City, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Hi Cazfab

Thanks for you coments,

I offer you a sincere appology for the incoveniences, please rest assure we will take your suggestions seriously

Regards,