“The hotel is in an amazing city!”
Review of W Mexico City

W Mexico City
Ranked #23 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed December 13, 2012

What we liked about this hotel was the location, this is at the heart of Polanco neighborhood, not too far away from the airport. We saw lots of peace in the city, very unlike any forecasts about the dangers of this city that we warned our travel agency in our country. We had a very pleasant stay, the hotel staff was the best in Mexico City!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MorrisAlden A

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Stayed at the W Mexico City for three days with a bunch of friends. Standard 'W' experience, with friendly staff, hip bar downstairs, funky rooms, etc.

A few things to note:
We got the suite on the 25th floor - probably not worth the price for a suite. It was two levels, with no bathtub and a really small balcony. It felt like it had the same exact square footage as the regular rooms, but just spread over two floors. Perhaps save your $$ for a great dinner out as opposed to a suite. The regular rooms were very spacious and comfortable.

We had some issues regarding the breakfast buffet and breakfast bar downstairs. We had a card in our room that said complementary coffee, tea, pastries, fruits were accessed downstairs at the bar however we were charged for them (and there are no coffee makers in the room). The bartender was confused about it when we showed her the card. Also, we were told that our room included breakfast by the front desk, to then be told it wasn't included, to then be told it was included which made for an interesting discussion upon checking out (ultimately they ended up taking it off of our room bill, but not without a bit of an uncomfortable battle).

Perhaps the hotel should just be much clearer about what is charged and what is not - it would save a lot of confusion in the future.

Gym was great - no pool, just a very large hot tub, which was also nice.

Other than those few issues, I would definitely recommend.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Location:
Awesome - Is located in Polanco, one of the most upmarket part of the city, well connected, easily reachable and barely 30 minutes from the airport.And dont forget to walk around to the Chapultepec Park and try the small restaurants around.

Rooms:
The rooms were cozy and quite and the bed was comfortable. But the lack of a separate/closed bath and toilet and the wash basin being part of the bed space made it quite uncomfortable. Because there is no dedicated toilet space, you will have to keep your toiletries in the space near the TV. People who prefer keeping toiletries out of the bedroom may not prefer this place.

The beds are big but I felt there is not enough space for 2 people to keep their stuff in the room and the room always seemed so full when 2 of us stayed.

The thing I missed most was a coffee maker. Your morning coffee option is to go down to the lobby or if you have asked for a wake up call, they send the coffee up to the room after waking you up.

Opt for rooms overlooking the avenue or the ones overlooking the Chapultepec Park. Go with one overlooking the park and maybe the 10th floor or higher so as to get a better view.

Service:
The service was good, the staff were super friendly and courteous but on the whole, the room service nor the front desk was not what you expect from such a class of hotel. I had a lot of reservation screw ups by the desk staff. I just dint find the empty water bottles replaced everyday.

Food:
The restaurant in the hotel looks good and includes outdoor seating. The quality of food is above average but expensive too. If you are someone looking for a bit more genuine Mexican food or less expensive stuff, step out of the hotel and within a 2KM radius you will find a lot of small and not so small restaurants serving good Mexican food.

Room Tip: Go with the rooms overlooking the park and also opt for the 10th floor or higher to get a better vie...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 7, 2012

2 nights here on our way back to Europe after 3 run-around-the-country weeks, we decided to upgrade a bit our last days, and chose the W.

Polanco is really nice at first glance and everything can be found, from fancy restaurants and chic bars (plenty plenty and packed with fancy people) to streetside stand-and-eats on the run (a bit hidden away, with plenty of workers who eat on the run), trafic jamed with latest BMWs and MINIs, as well as desperate housewives chatting in style with their Vuittons while sipping a Chardonnay. Sure this is a rich enclave for wealthy people. But Polanco is far from everything in this huge huge city. 1 hour taxi ride to the airport, as long in alarming packed to the top metro to the Zocalo. So the location can be good, or bad, it only depends on which side you want to be.

We like :
Our SPECTACULAR room was very edge design, large and plenty of storing room. On 17th floor, it looked over the fascinating never ending city. Loved the view from the room.
The bed is very large and very comfortable. The bathroom side is also funny with a hammock and rain shower
Staff was very efficient and always polite or asking to help us.

We didn't like :
The biggest concern was from the noise generated by the canalisation. At one point in bed, we suddenly heard a roaring noise coming from somewhere around, it took some time to us to understand it was the neighbor's shower. After that, it did not bother us again, until all our neighbors used their shower when the morning came.
Also when people talked in the corridor, we heard them very well. There was not enough soundproof from the main door.
Furniture were a bit worn out, needed some refurbishing to our opinion
Internet is extra, as almost always with big names
No kettel, but a coffee machine can be delivered to the room with a fee.

So, mixed feeling about this place, even if the W is really nice, not sure to be back.

Room Tip: No idea, make sure your neighbors don't take a shower during your stay ?
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BEEPfromPARIS
Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

While I like Starwood in general and many W hotels, this particular W may be trying too hard. For example, the rooms feature a shower room, complete with floor to ceiling windows AND a hammock. I appreciate their trying to have style, I do, but despite the wood blinds, it's a bit over the top, right?

Also, VERY expensive, even for the premium location.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Excellent location. the living room area is second to none, the service is excellent and the rooms are chic and quiet. i do not have much more to say but need to fill this ith 200 characters so that is why i am writing more. the hammock in the bathroom is curious and relaxing

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I have avoided W hotels in the past, as I generally find them overpriced and a bit gimmicky. I was here on business and the company booked the hotel, so not my choice. I was pleasantly surprised: even though it is a bit gimmicky (hammock in the bathroom?..), the location is great and the rooms are nice.
The good:
-service is outstanding. When I was there, the hotel was full and I never had to wait for anything, either at the front desk or at the restaurants. The staff is very helpful, friendly and polite.
-as all other reviewers have mentioned, great location.
-rooms: very clean, good size.
-terrace: there is a very nice terrace where you can sit and enjoy a drink. When spending the whole day in conference rooms, it is nice to get the opportunity for some fresh air.
The negative:
-while I liked the room, I was travelling alone. Personally, they are a bit too open-plan for me for sharing with someone else, even a partner. I like my rooms to have a solid wall between sleeping area, bathroom and toilet, especially if you can't open a window.
-can't open a window. Vents and fans are fine, but after a bath/shower the room resembled a sauna. I also prefer fresh air to aircon.
-aircon/heating/water. Like some other reviewers mentioned, this does not always work very well. I changed room half way through my stay and while my first room was fine, my second room was freezing cold and had hardly any hot water. Even their staff, who helped me move, commented on how could the room was. It didn't get fixed. It was only a couple of nights, so it doesn't matter, but I wouldn't put up with it, if I was personally paying $300/night.
As opposed to other reviewers, I had no issues with the WIFI connection, piped music or noise. Overall, despite the little glitch with the heating, I'd definitely recommend the hotel and would not hesitate in booking it again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business