WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of W Mexico City

W Mexico City
Ranked #27 of 307 Hotels in Mexico City
Mexico City
“Looks old, dirty and ugly...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2011

Ok, I have never liked W hotels, but sometimes I need to stay in those... this one in Mexico City was the worse I have stayed at.... First, the insisted about my card being debit when it was credit so they charged triple the total of my stay... and then, gave me the money in cash !!! just imagine, what was I supposed to do with all that money in pesos and cash ? silly. The hotel looks horrible.... very old... need new paint.... and it is ALL red, RED ! I think red is supposed to turn you mad and angry.... horrible... even the ceiling of the rooms is red...
The looby is so small and look abandoned during mornings... at nights it is ok... like a lounge... Security people is so arrogant. Ugh... If you need to stay in the zone, please, stay at the Marriott or at the Intercontinental...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Majito
W_Mexico_City, Manager at W Mexico City, responded to this review, November 1, 2011
Dear Guest:

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us at W Mexico City.

We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. I do apologize for the inconveniences you faced and would welcome the opportunity to speak to you in more detail regarding the service received from our security staff so I can investigate this further. Please contact me at stephen.hertzberg@whotels.com so we may discuss this further. I look forward to hearing from you.
Best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Greek first
Mexico City, Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2011

The hotel definetly needs renovations and lots of mantinance. It's located on one of the best citie's neighbourhoods, but the hotel does not have any luxury feeling. It seems a low class hotel in a perfect location. Service is good, as well as the size of the room, but the decoration has a cheap look.
Presidente intercontinental and jw marriot are just next door with similar prices. They both are better choices.

Room Tip: The higher the nicer view
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
W_Mexico_City, Manager at W Mexico City, responded to this review, October 27, 2011
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear of your experience and would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly and explain our plans to renovate the hotel making sure all maintenance issues area addressed. Please contact me at stephen.hertzberg@whotels.com so we may discuss, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2011

This was my first stay in a W, and maybe they're all like this - if so, this will also be my last stay in a W.

The overall impression was of a hotel that thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, and that no one there was actually good enough to be there - that we should pay three times as much for the privilege of breathing the same air as the staff.

From the extra toilet roll labelled "back up plan" to the snobby staff giving misleading and sometimes downright wrong information, the entire stay felt weird and uncomfortable.

As other reviewers have said, they also seem to charge extra for everything. Nowhere else in the world have I EVER had to pay for water in the room. And nowhere else has ever taken the liberty of adding their own tip to the bill after it has been paid - a 'mistake' that I luckily caught at check out (and boy, were they annoyed at being asked to explain the charges to me). This all added to the feeling that the hotel looked classy but was lacking in true class and customer care.

I felt more like a person overstaying their welcome at a frosty in-law's than a guest who'd paid through the nose to enjoy a friend's wedding. Couldn't wait to get out of there.

Plus points: Concierge was helpful and pleasant. Nice roof terrace. Hotel was clean and modern. Extra charges were taken off when a complaint was made (although done in a very dismissive and patronising way).

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest:

Thank you for posting your feedback from your visit with us. The staff service issues you encountered during your stay are not typical of the service we offer, and I regret that you were unable to address these concerns prior to your departure. I welcome the opportunity to speak to you directly regarding the service from our staff, the extra charges and the issue with the tip so we can try to correct this. Please contact me at stephen.hertzberg@whotels.com so we may discuss this further.

Fresno
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2011

Great hotel, great staff, great location.

Pluses: The rooms are whimsical without being overly pretentious, a nice mix of elegance and sass. The shower experience, with three heads, is incredible.

Minuses: Don't try to read in bed. When this hotel is freshened up, which it's due for soon, I hope the decorators take into account how difficult it is to actually read in bed. The only option now is for a glaring overhead light. Also: be warned there is little privacy in terms of the bathroom when you're staying in this room with another person. In particular, the toilet, while private, offers little in the sense of sound protection.

As for the restaurant: Service was always great, and the breakfast spread was amazing two out of three mornings. But one day, the coffee was cold and the Eggs Benedict off the menu was a complete miss. We ate there for dinner one night, and my main course -- salmon -- was delicious. But the desserts were a huge disappointment. We ordered pears in chocolate sauce, and it was, simply put, terrible. It tasted like a kindergarten teacher had cut up a not-ripe pear and poured chocolate sauce over it. The manager wandered by and asked how our meal was, and I told him how inadequate the dessert was, and he just smiled and moved on.

Also, a tip on seeing tourist stuff: If you want to see the Frida Kahlo Museum, do not under any circumstances take the concierge's advice of using the hop-off-and-on tourist bus to get there. The price is reasonable, but it takes literally three hours to get there, after first traipsing through half of Mexico City. (Frida is stop No. 14.)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future. Thank you for your comments about the reading, food quality and privacy issues you encountered. Please feel free to contact me at stephen.hertzberg@whotels.com, as I would appreciate the chance to prevent similar events from occurring. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2011

I'm an avid traveler for both business and pleasure. I booked the W Mexico city considering past experiences with W Hotels and the peace of mind of a chain hotel.

Here is what is:
1) Comfortable beds 2) esthetically pleasing 3) hotel w/ great location 4) great service 5) great gym 6) great spa 7) great breakfast buffet 8) offer great amenities

Here is what it's not:
1) a hot spot to hang out 2) among the top half of W hotels 3) inexpensive when it comes to food

One additional tip, consider that the hotel taxi service is 50% - 100% more expensive than other "sitio" Taxis.

At the end of the day, the W Mexico city DOES have the styling elements one expects of other Ws and the amenities of this chain hotel. However, if you are looking for a fun place to hang out, this place is not a hot spot at night. The location is great as there are several restaurants nearby (particularly the Polanquito area) and feels safe.

• Stayed September 2011
Dear Guest:

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at W Mexico City. I am glad to hear that the majority of your stay with us was satisfactory. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all positive and negative feedback we can get. Again, thank you for the comments because we are always looking for ways to improve our service. Please feel free to contact me at stephen.hertzberg@whotels.com prior to your next arrival so we can make sure your needs are fulfilled for the duration of your stay.

Brighton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2011

I only stayed here for 1 night but wish it was for my entire stay however my other hotel was closer to where I was working. The hotel is perfect for leisure travellers in a safe district but still closer to Zona Rosa, Historical Centre and all most the out of town tourism attractions. Additionally, pool area and rooms size & comfort are excellent. highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Hello there:
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent experience. We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at the W Mexico City.

Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.

Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2011

We stayed here while passing through on our way to Campeche. This hotel was in a GREAT area - walking distance to fabulous restaurants and shopping. If you like nightlife and good dining, you cannot go wrong with this location. It is a very safe neighborhood, with lots to do. There are many parks within walking disance as well. The hotel is very new, clean, modern, and up-to-date. It was a pleasure to stay here.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Hello there:

We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments - it’s always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels.
Thank you for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!