“Stay here!!!”
Review of Hostel Moneda

Hostel Moneda
Reviewed March 13, 2010

If you're not picky or fussy (remember this IS a hostel) then Hostel Moneda is a great place to stay. The staff are excellent and very helpful, and they don't mind having a chat unlike some places. The rooms aren't too shabby - I stayed in a 6 bed dorm and the mattresses are thick and comfortable and there was an ensuite bathroom with hot water (and a good bit of water pressure to boot!). Could do with a bit of ventilation or a fan, but luckily it's been cool enough to sleep. Free breakfast and dinner buffet is a huge plus... overall a great hostel in a perfect location.

Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed December 1, 2009

The hostel was recommended to me by a friend and I was really pleased that I stayed there. The location is brilliant, only one and a half blocks from the Zócalo, and the roof top bar is a great place to relax. The staff are really friendly and all speak English, there is free internet (intermittent but I think that's just Mexico for you), free breakfast and dinner (which includes hot food - great way to save money) and the rooms are clean, beds are big and comfortable. Laundry is also reasonably priced.

My only complaint would be the tiny, low pillows - but really, I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed November 13, 2009

This was my 1st hostel stay, I had connected with fam/friends coming from the UK, and they were way more seasoned hostel style that I was - they claimed this was decent, for me - it was a bit "rough" - the water pressure sucked, the water in shower backed up, which had you showering in a pool, the towels were like sand paper. And I couldn't get past the prison bar doors that was in addition to your room doors, not all rooms, just some, but the place was not empty, so you did not feel isolated. At night however that place could get very dark... so I would not recommend for solo travelers, groups fine.

And the NOISE, this hostel is located in the central shopping area of Mexico - NOISE CITY! And each morning at 5am - if there's a bday, cannons are going off.
Now the best of this, was breakfast, and the rooftop. Again this was my 1st hostel experience, so the breakfast was basics, but got better next day, when I got up earlier..
fruit, cereal, eggs, beans, bread, butter.... and jam - think they had a toaster too, that was cool. The rooftop view was great - and internet comps provided on roottop style while you took in the view - That was sweet. Best part of the hostel.
The staff was not organized, which you only saw at the front desk, they were more business then friendly.... there's a small community room, but nothing where you can really mix with folks.
I would recommend this for last minute stop overs - onto your nxt destination, but not for more than 1 night, or if your traveling alone. Two or more...

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 19, 2009

good location. rooms cleaned daily and helpful staff. tours and day trips organised at front desk.

BONUS - dinnner on roof top terrace included in price.

• Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed June 12, 2009

I can't actually rate this hostel bceause we didn't end up staying there but I would like to warn people that despite what their website and Lonely Planet say about this place, it's quite a dangerous area of Mexico City to stay in.

I was travelling with a girlfriend and we had organised to stay here on our first night in Mexico. We were fortunate enough to have a friend pick us up from the airport and he offered to drive us to the hostel. It was around 10pm when we were driving there and the area looked very dodgy. There were no street lights, there were very few people around and those who were did not look to be the friendly type (many were transvestite prostitutes). Our friend refused to let us out of his car because HE was terrified of being in that area.

Like I said, I can't rate the hostel itself but from my experience it's not the safest place to stay.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 16, 2009

we stayed there 5 days, and used to thAT HOSTEL, AS IF IT WAS OUR HOME. Staff is so friendly, helpful and funny. really, everyone of them. Breakfast is so great that you even don't need to take snack for the rest of the day (but certainly you will need to get water tres per diez). Especially you enjoy breakfast because it is served on the roof. Hostel is located 4 min. from metro (subway has very easy system to use). In the evening , while eating dinner, one can enjoy metropolitan catedral, national palace. Very close is Templo de mayor. I think it's the best hostel !!!!!!!!!!!!! I highly recomend!!!!!!!!! They offer lots of cool tours. Alejandro (guide) knows all possible facts.
Thanks guys!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 4, 2009

The terrace was a fun place to hang out. The free internet was great, though not available 24 hours as some sites indicated. Breakfast on the terrace was excellent (starting it at 7:30am rather than 8am would make it even better) -- all you could eat of fresh fruit (watermelon and bananas), pancakes, eggs, cereal, tea and coffee.
Staff were very helpful and friendly, and I appreciated the locked luggage storage area, though some sort of system to make sure people take out only their own bags would be a good idea. There also was a locker (bring your own padlock) in the room.
The sheets, blankets, and pillows were quite old and thin, but freshly laundered. The bathroom had spots of black mold on the caulking and the walls, but hot water was plentiful. Also, the room was spare and stuffy, but this isn't a place meant for spending more time in your room than is needed to rest.
Overall, this is a good place if you want to meet people, take advantage of their tours, and see things in this area, like the Templo Mayor. However, if you're planning to take up a private or three-person room, already have your own itinerary in mind, and willing to pay for your own breakfast and a little more for taxi fares (Hostel Moneda provides good taxi deals) there are hotels with very similar prices and nicer rooms elsewhere in the Centro.

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank KMone