“Consistently good”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Angel
Reviewed March 18, 2013

For straight and traditional Mexican food, be it desayuno or comida, in a bright, clean environment at reasonable prices, Cardenal is hard to beat. Their breakfast is rich and with excellent produce (notable the chocolate and their sweet breads), their 'moles' deeply tasty but balanced, their tortillas perfectly made, their salads and fruits top notch. Given the high numbers they serve, this is a remarkable, very professional, operation.

The room is very spacious and comfortable. Prices are very fair. Service is kind and efficient.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Impeccable service, delicious food, vast variety of mexican dishes and good music: I must say I was impressed with my dinner at this place. I had reviewed the ranking of the best restaurants in Mexico City, skimmed through the reviews of El Cardenal and pondered on a possible future visit. We ended up encountering it almost by coincidence while strolling around the city and relished a savory dinner. The excellent rating did not lie, the place was almost full when we arrived.
The restaurant is located inside an old building dating back to the "Porfirian" late 19th century period, its interiour decor is sober but classy and it offers the opportunity to listen to live music (I liked a lot the pianist's performance, whose songs were loud enough to be appreciated but not intrusive, hence people could keep on conversing without problems).
One downside to this place is that it is so popular it gets very crowded and a bit noisy: if you are looking for a break from the caos of the city you may be a bit disappointed. However, it is rare to find a restaurant that presents you with dishes such as tacos de suadero (which is considered a cheap and conventional dish available only on the streets) and at the same time chinicuiles and escamoles (high class, expensive delicacies), ergo you should take advantage (although I would like to point out that I am a vegetarian and there was not much choice for me, but the tortilla soup, the fruit salad covered in a maguey honey dressing and the huge slice of chocolate cake that I had were excellent).
One last note, the coffee needs to be improved.

1  Thank MisSpectre
Reviewed March 17, 2013

(English version below)
La sucursal de San Ángel ofrece todos los elementos necesarios para una comida extraordinaria: el servicio impecable, un ambiente refinado y elegante, y muy buena comida a un precio razonable. Aunque éramos los únicos con niños/bebés no nos sentimos fuera de lugar. Nos acomodaron muy bien. Incluso la música estuvo muy agradable: tranquila e interesante sin llamar la atención demasiado sino complementar el ambiente. Pedimos la sopa de tortillas, la ensalada de frutas y hortalizas, y el filete de res en salsa de queso de cabra. Todo estuvo delicioso. La relación calidad precio me pareció excelente.

The San Angel version of this famous DF restaurant offers a superb dining experience, including impeccable service, a beautiful atmosphere, and excellent food at a reasonable price. Despite being the only ones with children we felt completely welcome--the wait staff accommodated us very well and other customers did not seem to mind in the least. When the musicians appeared we feared it would be obtrusive mariachi music that would ruin digestion, but were very pleased to hear elegant, well-played pieces that complimented the ambience and dining experience perfectly. We ordered the tortilla soup, salad w/ fruits and nuts, and steak in goat cheese sauce. Everything was delicious and we were impressed that the bill wasn't exorbitant given the level of quality across the board. All in all, a wonderful place to spend an afternoon with loved ones.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is by far the best and most tasty Mexican restaurant that I know here or elsewhere. My Mexican girl friend jumps at the chance to eat there. Their breakfasts are fabulous; my girl always asks for nata (cream) which you spread on fresh bread. The fruit juices are top notch and the many varied dishes from different Mexican egg styles to chilaquiles to pancita de Michoacán-- basically anything on the menu-- are all worth trying even if you have to come back several times.

At lunch you can have very popular (and expensive) escamoles (Agave cactus worms), huautzontles (stewed young tender amaranth flowers), huitlacoche (corn fungus), chiles en nogada (a special stuffed chile in walnut sauce serrved in the Fall to celebrate Mexican independence for the green, red and white colors) and much, much more. I cite these because I saw an American woman only eat a bit of an ordinary steak and not dare to try these incredibly delicious dishes-- I think even the squeamish would like any of them. I do urge you to try them. If you don't know which mole to have, have your company order one and you another and that way you can compare their exquisiteness. And for the less adventurous there are excellent cheese, fish and meat plates to choose from.

This restaurant has several locations in Mexico City, so check their web page for the one most convenient for you: http://www.restauranteelcardenal.com I have eaten several times in the one in the historic center (the prettiest) and also in the one on Ave la Paz (very attractively done) in Colonia San Angel, right near the monument to Obregón on Ave Insurgentes and on the other side it is near the flower market-- so if you need some for your girl it is just around the corner on Ave Revolución.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Up until dining at this restaurant I thought Mexican food consisted of tacos, enchiladas, burritos and re-fried beans. I don't speak Spanish so just pointed to what others were being served. Each dish I tried was better, or should I say just as good as the last. I hadn't expected fine dining in Mexico at cafe prices. Each dish artfully presented and just cooked to perfection. The only negative was they only stocked one red and one white wine!