“Style over substance”

Hotel Downtown Mexico
Ranked #118 of 313 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Most negative reviews of hotels I read are over-the-top, people seem to be annoyed about things that I would let pass me by. But, a few things you should know about Downtown Mexico:

1) It is very noisy, we couldn't sleep at night without ear plugs (I have never had this anywhere before). We asked what the banging sound at 5am was, we were told that this would be raised with the manager, we heard nothing further.

2) The rooms are (exceptionally) dark.

3) The room was not clean, as in you would walk accross the floor and your feet were filthy by the other side.

4) The staff were untirely uninterested in assisting with any request (we asked for directions to some decent local bars, we were met with blank faces).

If you can put up with these things there is a great bar (albeit sometimes busy with private parties), cool pool and the hotel looks great, the design features are impressive.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dinnerathon
Adalberto R, Director General at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Thank you for your review. For us at Downtown Mexico, all the feedback is very valuable. We strive to offer the best service to all our guests. We have created a concierge book so that all our front desk personnel has knowledge of everything that sorrounds the hotel. Our rooms are cleaned daily and I can assure you that your room was properly cleaned prior to your arrival, anyhow we have reinforced this issue so that it does not happen again.

I hope to have you stay with us again, we will find a more suitable room for your needs.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Cool hotel and would give it a 5/5 for design...
Heard some negative comments before about noise etc. but decided to book anyway. Unfortunately reviews were pretty accurate. When we arrived the floor was a bit dirty and dusty, maybe because the rooms are so dark they think they can get away with it but felt a bit sup par considering the price of the hotel.
Staff are incredibly unengaged and have absolutely no knowledge of the city. Are there any bars near by to get a drink? was a question that had them stumped. Luckily the security guy pointed us to a few. Upon checking out, one guy who we'd seen for the last 3 days asked if we were checking in!
Lastly, the rooms are really noisy, they supply earplugs and you really need them. Stayed in room 9 and there was lots of strange noises in the middle of the night plus you get woken up early (about 6) by the busy restaurant downstairs dragging tables.
All in all, it wasn't terrible and it is a cool place but considering it was the most expensive place we stayed on our trip round Mexico, expected a lot more.

Room Tip: Ask for anyone with decent windows, think for the base rates, there is only one so would request in...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheFoodieHunter
Adalberto R, Director General at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Great place to escape the city and have a top quality drink and lounge by the pool and enjoy the city views. Hip, modern and stylish I am sure you will find yourself wanting to lounge here a bit longer than first planned. I had the lime lime caipirinha and Cristina had the Pibirita, which was meszcal, jamaica and maracuya made into a daqauri. Afterwards we had Mezcals to drink. Explore the rooftop bar and also take a walk around the building's shop area, which is wonderful. It is a beautiful building, well designed and with some great shops, cafes and restaurants. Also, Design Hotel's Downtown Mexico hotel is located here too.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Adalberto R, Director General at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure having you in our terrace. I hope next time you visit us you also stay with us at the hotel. Don't hesitate in contacting me for any request.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We have stayed at Downtown a few times. It is located in an extraordinary building and is most assuredly not your cookie cutter kind of a hotel. There are two interesting restaurants in the courtyard - one with a vertical garden on the main wall which is fantastic and really a must see. Location is perfect - just a couple of blocks from the Zocalo.

The biggest drawbacks as detailed below - are that the rooms don't have AC and the interior rooms which face the central courtyard get warm and they are indeed dark.

We like the rooms facing the road - but if you want to sleep in - noise will be a factor.

The rooftop bar is a great place to grab a drink with lovely views.

We like the Downtown - it def has a young, hip vibe but clearly not for everyone.

Room Tip: Rooms on the street are a bit noisy ...but definitely cooler than the interior rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Adalberto R, Director General at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

As always it is a pleasure having you stay at Downtown. Your comments are always welcomed. We hope to keep being your option for lodging at Mexico City. Do let me know when you have plans to visit us again. We have plans to add a/c to all our rooms.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the Downtown. It is a beautiful property with lots of wonderful restaurants and shops. I loved how much of the outdoors was incorporated within the hotel with its large open atrium. We felt very posh lounging by the rooftop pool and dining on the terrace.

While the beds are very comfortable, I was not impressed with the rooms and their layout. Most rooms are small, and none of them have windows. Since the bathroom doesnt have sepearte walls, when you shower the entire room becomes steamy and muggy. Since there are no windows, if you want fresh air, you have to leave your door open. The hotel is not air conditioned. They provide fans which help, but the high ceilings make it very hard to keep the room cool.

The rooms are also extremely dark with no good lighting and again, no windows to provide natural light. This was a major problem for me, a lady trying to put makeup on before a formal wedding. There were fluorescent lights over the sink, so I had to stand in the bathroom which was muggy and hot from the shower and try and do my makeup. My face kept sweating and it was impossible. Finally I went into the terrace lobby and did the makeup with a small compact. Talk about a hassle! Bring your own makeup mirror, and some skimpy clothes to sleep in your hot dark box of a room.

Very few staff members understand English, so be prepared for that when dealing with any requests. The design of the hotel overall is beautiful, but I'm not sure I would stay here again. Come enjoy cocktails and the atmosphere, but you'll be more comfortable sleeping at a larger, airconditioned hotel with LIGHT!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank passport2earth

Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for choosing Downtown as your hotel during your Mexico City stay. All feedback is important to us as we try to excell each day with our service. We have already plans to install a/c in all our rooms. This will help the rooms to be less steamy and muggy as you mention. More lighting is also being considered. I would appreciate if you contact me on your next visit so that I can inform you if these changes have already been made.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I stayed at the hotel Downtown Mexico last week and was very impressed. Not only is the property stunning but the service was outstanding. Our daughter has a life threatening tree nut and peanut allergy. When we emailed the hotel ahead of time Adalberto, the hotel manager, responded back immediately. He assured me they could work with us on safe dining. When we arrived the food & beverage manager Daniel and staff member Luis took great care of us. The food was great. We ate all our meals there. Overall we had a wonderful time. The beautiful property was only outdone by the service we received.

• Stayed: August 2013
Adalberto R, Director General at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure for to be at your service. We appreciate your review. Please contact me when you plan on coming back.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

The good: beautifully restored building, with restaurants (choices include: hip, fine, snack) in patios that are outstandingly nice designed. There's a few nice artesian shops, a great Mezcal bar and beautiful art (huge mural and huge hanging garden).
The rooms aren't big but nicely designed, with bricks and other nice materials. You can connect iPod to stereo system.

The bad: rooms don't have window and no air condition. Means: pitch black, dark, no fresh air (in humid Mexico). Might be a personal thing, but I can't sleep well at all in such condition. And that's what a hotel is for in the first place.
Also, hotel charged my credit card twice with security amount, the first time even before I arrived!

Therefore: would def not come back, don't recommend it as hotel (but go have a look at the building!)

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Adalberto R, Director General at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I regret that the hotel design was not suited for you. Regarding the A/C, we are planning to install them this year. Regarding your credit card being charged twice, as I mentioned to you during your check out, it is a verification, this is a normal procedure done by hotels. No money was charged at that moment. When you plan on coming back to mexico, please let me know and I will inform you about the changes made so that you can consider staying with us again.