“A LOT OF NOICE!!”

Hotel Downtown Mexico
Ranked #118 of 313 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We didn't like this hotel at all!!! We have suite num 7 the noise from the street Isabella Católica starts at 5 am with the trash buses,so it is not a place to rest, not only that but in front of the hotel there is a business call CASINO ESPAÑOL that has a power plant all night long in front of our room, so can you imagine all that noise? We arrive very late at 10.45pm and try to eat at the restaurant and they say they close at 11pm so they where´n able to feed us.
The bathroom is for a very open mind people haha and really open to smell every thing that could happen in a bathroom no doors neither for the bath or the shower. only a cortain one black and one with. I will never recommended for a real client that likes boutique hotels. This is far away from that. Also is dark must of the time even at the elevator there is not enough lights.
The only part I like is the demodulation they did to the building and the 2 restaurant they have in the first floor, Azul Historico (traditional gourmet mexican food) and another restaurant that I forgot the name but it has a big wall this a bike in it. and they serve breakfast and diners (mariscos)

Room Tip: All the rooms that are located in front of the street Isabella Católica are super noise especially i...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MARUKA33
Adalberto R, Director General at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I regret the hotel was not the best suit for you. We will take into consideration what you mention about the noise levels. This neighborhood is noisier than other zones. Regardless of this, we are looking into finding a functional way to reduce the noise level from our street view rooms. Please let me know when you are planning to come back to mexico city so that you can stay with us and note the solution the hotel has done.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

First and foremost: this hotel is trendy, hip and has great design but it is not your "typical" hotel so make sure you book there if you are looking for a unique and fun experience, not a run of the mill hotel stay with standard amenities.

Front desk: The staff is overall very friendly. Check in process was efficient. Check out (early at 4am) was also a breeze and they helped me get a safe sitio taxi

Building: Very historic and is truly beautiful. All design throughout is AWESOME

Bar & Restaurant: The terrace bar is great, especially at night with great lighting. We had dinner at Azul Historico and it was wonderful, great flavors, top notch service and a great ambiance underneath the trees.

Wifi: Worked great all around the property.

Rooms: very modern and sexy. However, no doors separating toilet and the rest of the room. Not your first date room. Since it is a historic building, there is no AC but they do have fans inside. It was a warm night so I had the opening above the doors open all night but it was difficult to get the air cold and there were some mosquitoes that found their way inside. Great sound system in the

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Adalberto R, Director General at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for review. All reviews are important for Downtown Mexico since we appreciate all feedback so that we can strive to be the best. It was a pleasure having you stay with us. It is great that our concept fulfilled your expectations. It would be a pleasure for us to have you visit Downtown Mexico again. Please let me know if there is anything I can help you with on your future trips.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

First and foremost I must applaud the Habita Group for their beautiful design transformation of this historic property in the midst of El Centro Historico. The conversion of this old building into a hotel with restaurants and shops surrounding 2 gorgeous outdoor courtyards is brilliant. The hotel rooms, on first blush, share the same innovative design until function comes into play. The rooms are universally so dark that one needs a flashlight even to navigate around, let alone dress or get some work done at the desk. Not sure how this slipped by the hotel's owners or operators but please add some brighter lighting throughout, maybe on dimmers. You can still retain the drama without sacrificing being able to see.
Perhaps most crucial however is the lack of air conditioning. Admittedly we visited during the warmest month of the year in the DF, but the location of the hotel in a busy downtown location makes it noisy nearly all day and night. Without A/C and given the noise the common refrain in the morning from everyone in our group (we had 5 plus rooms at the hotel) is that they couldn't sleep. I understand that converting a historic property has its challenges but A/C cannot be sacrificed if you want repeat customers.

My remarks are made with the very best intentions as I truly admire the design and intent of this property. With the addition of lighting and A/C this could be a top rating property.

Room Tip: The large rooms facing the street have beautiful balconies but can be noisy at night.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank MLehmanEsq
Adalberto R, Director General at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. For Downtown Mexico and Grupo Habita it is important to get all the constructive criticism. I would like to comment on the issues you mention. We are working on a project to install A/C in all our rooms. As you mention, the hotel is a historic building and there are some limitations that we have to work around but we will find a way to make this adjustment as quick as posible. Regarding the lighting issue, we have aditional lamps that are placed when requested by a guest. With this comment we will leave them in each room instead of having them as reserve so that there can be more light if the guest wishes to have.

If there is anything else you need or would like to comment and if you plan on coming back to mexico city, please email me at areiter@downtownmexico.com

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for three nights in May, and were really excited about our visit. Especially knowing that they are member of Design Hotels and Small Luxury Hotels, we were particularly curious about our stay.

What we liked:
The hotel is very small (17 rooms) and located inside a 17th century colonial building. Beautiful architecture and beautiful design. There is an amazing roof terrace with pool and bar overlooking the city.
The location is very good: Two streets away from Zocalo (main square) and close to some of the city's main attractions (Bellas Artes, Cathedral, Mercado de Artesania, Templo Mayor)

What we didn't like:
The staff at the front desk has no knowledge about the city, and we had to consult our guide book and the internet for EVERYTHING.
The staff in general is not very friendly or helpful except for one of the bartenders at the roof bar - a young gentleman with a moustache - he was welcoming and very nice with us.
On one day there was a huge pool party on the terrace. If you choose to stay at a hotel of 17 rooms the last thing you want is to find a party with hundreds of people at the pool. We found this unacceptable and a sign of not showing respect towards the hotel guests.
The hotel is quite noisy in general since there is a restaurant in every patio of the building.
Our room had no window, and thus no fresh air (especially difficult at night).
On top of all that, there was an important mistake on our bill at check out confirming me yet again that the service level is not up to the category standards.

We hope this hotel will improve. They have great potential but seriously have to work on their service standards.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gian L
Adalberto R, Director General at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Downtown Mexico as your destination hotel and thank you for your review. Downtown Mexico takes very seriously all reviews. I regret that the room design (no windows) did not suit your needs. We are working on finding a solution to this issue you mention. I apologize for the bill mistake but I believe your bill was corrected the moment the error was noted. I invite you to come back and give us an oportunity to change your previous experience for a completely satisfactory one.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Very stylish and central to the Centro Historico of Mexico City, it was just a short walk to many points of interest. The rooms were comfy (especially after a along flight) but a little noisy. Has a great roof top bar where the bar food is good and generous, and the restaurant in the central courtyard, Azul Historico, is excellent and well priced.
The only down side was that we didn't think the pool looked clean enough for a dip. Maybe that was due to the poolside party the night we arrived.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Adalberto R, Director General at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the Downtown México team, it was a pleasure having you stay with us. Thank you for taking your time and writing a review. Please let me know if you come back to Mexico City.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

I have to say out of all the Grupo Habita hotels I've been too, this is my favorite. It really has it all, an amazing hotel in a historic building, two great restaurants below, a world of little shops, cafes and bars all within the hotel grounds. We only left the hotel once to see the Torre Latino Americana and Cafe La Opera, but it's really nice to have everything right there. I was there for three days and it started to feel like home, the warmth of the history in the building is really great when combined with modern design.

The staff is very friendly and accessible to all your needs. There were three things I would have maybe changed but other than that it's still my favorite. 1/ The sheets were kind of hard, not soft at all but we did mention it to them and hopefully they can work something out. 2/ No windows in the room to let natural sunlight in, there was an option to make the door into a window but people walked by and could see in. 3/ The bathroom door was a sliding door, and it wasn't really private since it was open on top. But these are only observations I made, they would never stop me from coming back.

I can give you my top three favorite observations now so you see how amazing this place is. 1/ The openness of the whole hotel was so inspiring and pleasant. There were two open patios with the restaurants below that the rooms surrounded. There was always sunlight coming in and when it rained they simply covered the open area. Two/ The brick material within the hotel gave it a true antique Mexican feel. Three/ The pool area is exquisite, with the view of Mexico's core, bright sun to warm you up and cold beers to relax next to the industrial pool. I could keep going with these details that make the hotel worth visiting, but I recommend going and discovering all these elements yourself.

Thanks Downtown!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank coordinatesdlt
Adalberto R, Director General at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure having stay in Downtown Mexico. All your comments have been taken into consideration. I know we will be seeing you soon. Please let me know when you plan to come back and visit us.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

DOWNTOWN HABITA:

LOCATION:

Any more “central” and you would be the center of the DF universe, if you count the Zocalo as the center of DF. The area is much more commercial than residential, compared to Roma, Condesa, or Polanco. It is, however, very close to many sights and points of interest for travelers. On the downside, it can be very noisy, especially suites that face the street. On the other hand, those rooms facing the courtyard are more tranquil. It is very close to Metro Zocalo, which definitely is a plus.

COMMON AREAS/FACILITIES

There is not a lobby per se. However, the restaurant functions as such and offers sitting areas. The design is super in terms of color and style. There is a pool and bar on the rooftop. The pool is small and more appropriate for dipping than actual swimming. Lots of locals come by for drinks and see the place.

ROOM:
I got a Revolution suite, which is the largest of the bunch. More space than what I know what to do with it. The only reason I wanted it was to have a window that can be opened to the outside. Even then, it is still very dark in the room. The bathroom is very large and open. It is not for traveling friends or for people who are modest. More appropriate for a couple. Toiletries work well and are well stocked.

Minibar is well stocked and expensive like most other places. A bottle of water costs about US$7.

There are many disappointments, however. The design is great but the actual execution is poor and disappointing. The bathroom screams out hostel and kitsch. Everywhere I look, it screams “cheap” from the bathroom curtain to the fixtures. The bathtub has a huge chip at the bottom. It is kind of bad for an 8-month old establishment. Towels were all frayed at the sides. It is hard to believe that this place belongs to “Small Luxury Hotels of World” organization.

Sofa fabric and bed sheets feel cheap. It is probably worse than some stuff from IKEA. They really need to improve on that. Lighting is also very poor. Even if all the lights are turned on, it is still very dark. None of the lamps have shades, and therefore the light is very harsh to the eyes.

Because it is an old building, there is no air conditioning. There is a fan and they can provide more if needed.

SERVICE:

Checking in was quick. They expected my arrival. But as I came in, the front desk person just stared at me. Then the bellboy asked if I am “such and such.” He brought the bag to the room and showed me various things in the room and how to use them etc.

I also had breakfast and dinner on two different days. The breakfast tastes great and different than most of places I have been too. The service is reasonable. I sit down at around 8:30 AM but it seems like too early for them. I had to wait a while for anyone to come. Finally someone (a cook or a kitchen helper?) emerges from the kitchen. And it was a sight for sore eyes. I saw many white stains on his black shirt. Really? Finally the server brings out the food and service is decent. Food at dinner is disappointing but service is better. Cost is on the higher side, about US$60 per person with a cocktail if I recall correctly.

RECOMMENDATION:
The location is great and the design is gorgeous but the actual execution is very poor. I am willing to accept the noise and the lack of A/C, but the kitsch bathroom fixtures, cheap sheets, and poor light don’t cut it for me. I would not recommend this to friends.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Adalberto R, Director General at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear SDWanderlust,

Thank you for your review. It is very important for Downtown Mexico to get feedback. Our rooms are designed to have few light but we do count with extra lamps that can be added to your room just by requesting it. The bath tub has been repainted. About the quality of the linnen we have checked with our laundry in order to solve this situation.
Regarding breakfast, this should not have happened.
Thank you again for your review and I hope you come back and notice the improvements. Please let me know if you visit Mexico City again.