Hotel Downtown Mexico
$159
$141
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsrooftop barazul historicocomfortable sleepingxvi centuryunusual hotelopen courtyardgreat designrestaurants downstairshistoric buildinghotel groupan enjoyable stayfun place to staybeautiful spaceloved this hotelhour room serviceour honeymoonbigger room
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Hotel Downtown DF was hands down outstanding, I felt like I was among family and close friends while in a stunningly beautiful building and comfortable room.I’ve been all over the world and this place by far stands far above many of the luxury hotels I've been to. Attention to design and comfort is highly detailed as well as cuisine and service. People are wonderful, location, assistance for guided events and recommendations all on point . Priced very reasonably not to mention the hostel for the economical traveler. The mixed use concept in the building offers a cool dynamic, shops and all the amenities one may need along with a variety of dining. Look forward to returning soon... and to those who have poor things to say are missing out on the culture of Mexico and the way life should be lived. I highly recommend to all types of travelers, you will be satisfied !

Dear Hotel Downtown:

"su hospitalidad y el servicio eran de la más alta calidad, nos sentimos muy bien acogidos en su hogar. Sigan con los chicos de trabajo excelentes. Nos sentimos en familia. Cuide bien, con ganas de la próxima visita. Salud y Muchas Gracias ¡"

Room Tip: all rooms of good quality, stayed with several couples. each unique in there own way.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jonathan W
Adalberto R, Director General at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Jonathan,
It was a pleasure having you with us. It pleases me to have been able to have caused such a great impression on you. Don't hesitate on letting me know when you wish to come back. On behalf of all our staff we would love to have you back.

Best regards,
Adalberto Reiter

Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

I loved this hotel, the ambiance and all the restaurants and shops make it a great value and experience. I was sad to find out hat the service is just ok, I couldn't get a sewing kit since apparently they were out and never came to pick up some clothes for ironing.
Besides that, I loved the lack if light and the ambiance, the room was pretty perfect for
My husband and I, and the restaurants were great, I think far is the most beauyuful habita hotel I've stayed so far.

• Stayed: February 2013
Adalberto R, Director General at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear Cyngtz,
Thank you for your review. We loved to have you stay with us. I can assure you the service issues have been taken care of. Hope to have you visit us soon.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed at Downtown Mexico during a short weekend trip to Mexico City. We had read the reviews and expected some noise, but nothing prepared us for how loud it actually was during our stay. Yes, it was the weekend, but a peaceful nights rest should be expected at a hotel of Downtown Mexico's pedigree and price.

The noise is as a result of the hotel's layout. Basically, it's not a hotel. You have a massive courtyard downstairs with dozens of shops and restaurants (all of which are really cool). Every room opens up into the courtyard, so there's really no way to avoid the late night party noise and early morning cleaning noise. When you're there, you can't help but feel like the hotel aspect of Downtown Mexico is a complete after thought. Non guests were just wondering around the property right outside of our room. We felt like the property prides itself on being a "seen and be seen" place in the heart of the city. Anyone and everyone is welcomed to come party it up at the restaurants and rooftop bar/pool. There is no exclusivity at all. In fact, it was nearly impossible to find someone to help us. We didn't feel prioritized at all. As hotel guests, don't expect any privacy whatsoever.

We loved the design and architecture of the restored building. As I said before, the shops and restaurants there were all really fun. Ultimately, it was the basics where the place fell short. Our room had no exterior window. For even the slightest amount of privacy, you have to sacrifice any light entering the room. In fact, there was a window in our bathroom that looked out onto the courtyard. Everyone walking by could see you in the bathroom. We had to ask the hotel to put up a blanket so people couldn't see in. This is just such an obvious flaw that we couldn't believe has been overlooked.

I really want to love this place. It's teeming with potential, but until they prioritize hotel guests even slightly over the rest of the city, I can't recommend this place. Instead, stay somewhere else (perhaps in Condesa) but make sure to visit for some good shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hoyabliu

Dear Hoyabliu,

Thank you for writing. Downtown Mexico is commited to improve all that is necessary in order to offer the best experience. Your suggestions have been taken into consideration and we will do what is posible within our reach.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

My opinion is similar to Mr. Goldsmith's. The rooms are dark not for lack of lamps, as management seems to think, but for lack of natural light. Many of the rooms have no operable windows. As a result, the rooms are not only dark but airless. The bedrooms are open to the bathrooms, which have no mechanical ventilation, and the toilets, even when the lids are down, give off the smell of Mexico City's ancient sewer system. Try sleeping in that. The solutions are simple: operable transoms above the French doors, exhaust fans in the bathrooms and a lighter color palette.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on the smaller courtyard, except rooms 10 and 17. These at least have operable windows in the bathrooms. The rooms on the larger courtyard have operable transoms above the doors, so you can get some air.
Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jamesgauer
Adalberto R, Director de Recepción at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear James,
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry that the room design was not right for you. Your suggestions will be passed on to the corresponding departments to try and make these adjustments.
Best regards,
Adalberto Reiter

Reviewed February 6, 2013

The Downtown is a great concept: an historical building renovated to include two very nice restaurants in handsome courtyards, a mezzanine level filled with stylish shops and a rooftop
bar and pool. As a public place it is a triumph and has clearly become a magnet for well to do residents of Mexico City. BUT... the rooms are another matter. Ours, which was located on the smaller of the two courtyards, lacked natural ventilation. The only light entering the room was through the doors and once these were closed, the only way to get air moving through the room was with a rather noisy fan. The bathroom which is large and luxurious also lacks any form of ventilation. The bathroom was, in fact, oversized in relationship with the room which was rather tight and lacked any draw space for clothing. The ultimate problem with the room was that it was dark . The mid-gray color of the walls soaked up most the light coming through the door, creating a cave-like space. Great for a late night partyer but not particularly pleasant for someone who wishes to linger in the room. Bottom line: a fun place to visit, but don't stay there

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank nkidw
Adalberto R, Director General at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Dear nkids,
Thank you for your review. We will take your comments into consideration and see what arrangements and modifications can be made. Light is no longer a problem since we just added a few lamps in the rooms, I apologize that we didn't have them by the time you were here with us. If you come back to Mexico City, please let me know and I would love if you come have a look and see the changes that have been made.