Hotel Downtown Mexico
Ranked #124 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I had the most incredible experience in Downtown Hotel.
The location of the hotel is just perfect, I was so close to everything.
The rooms are so cool, you just can get involved in a real mexican experience involving traditions, fashion and perfection later then when you open the window you get the best view.
Great service from the very first moment I arrived, everybody was so nice to me and they had the best dispossition to help me with everything I needed.
The architecture of the Hotel is so beautiful they have a great mural and the rooftop where the pool is located is the perfect combination of history and fashion.
I really can't wait to go back, this place is just amazing and the service is perfect. I love the whole experience I went through in Downtown.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Adalberto R, Gerente at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Dear Jay,
It was a pleasure having you around. Thank you for your compliments on our service and instalations. We hope to have you back very soon. Please let me know when you're planning your next visit.
Best Regards!

Reviewed August 26, 2012

It is very nice new equipted hostal with very nice, kind and helpfull staff. I stayed there for 2 nights in 8-beds room, but nobody else came, so I finnaly was the only one in this big room. Everything is clean and I had no problems there. I really recommend this place if you are looking for something cheap and nice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Adalberto R, Gerente at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Thank you for your nice comments. We are glad to have had you here with us. Let us know when you come back. See you soon!

Reviewed August 24, 2012

It was my first visit to Mexico with business and I wasn't sure quite what to expect. Arriving at the hotel close to midnight, we found the place still full of life and booming with loud music from the rooftop pool bar.

The check-in staff were friendly and dealt with us quickly, which was a relief after a twenty-four hour journey via Dulles.

Breakfast was a little slow to get going in the morning, but once the waiter arrived we were able to order the basics from the menu.

The hotel is perfectly situated close to the major city centre sights as the name suggests. It's just a couple of blocks to the main square and the cathedrals.

The hotel itself has beautiful architecture and the rooftop pool/bar is opposite another photo worthy colonial building.

We had dinner once at the hotel, and this was tasty and good value although who cares after four margaritas!!

There was a party at the pool bar on our last night at Downtown, and rather than try and sleep through the noise and booming bass from the PA system we decided to join in the fun. In retrospect this might have been a mistake seeing as we were up at 06.30 for our flight but when we staggered down to reception after three hours sleep some party goers were still there!!

To summarise, if you're in Mexico City for a party and a good time, stay at Downtown.

If you want a good night's sleep with business the next day, perhaps try the larger hotel chains to the west of the city.

Room Tip: Far from the street and the bar!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JoshMainka

Dear Josh,
Thank you for your review. After your review we have worked on the level of noise from our rooftop and have talked with the owners of the other businesses and have lowered the noise level. We appreciate your nice comments regarding the architecture and good attention from our front desk. We would like to make notice that our first priority are our guests so any feedback is taken into account and worked on.
Best regards!

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Yes it looks nice but if you want to sleep, go somewhere else! Clearly the priority of those guys is not the hotel, it's the bar and the restaurant.
NOISE:The rooms are overlooking a patio-restaurant which is opened until 11pm every day, except Sundays. We were staying on a Sunday so instead there were some (recurring, not one-off) works in the courtyard until 11.30pm. The rooms are also underneath the bar of the hotel (Opened-air bar-terrace). The music stayed on until midnight. It looks like we were lucky it was Sunday as it normally stops at 2am. At 7am, the noise that woke us up was the one of pulling tables etc from the same restaurant.
FACILITIES: we couldn't use the pool on our second day as the whole area was full of workers preparing a corporate party for the evening. All the deck chairs had been removed anyway... we really felt welcome. Also there is no A/C in the room but only a very very noisy fan. And the water is not complimentary - first hotel ever in Mexcico. No window either, just the door,hence very little light in the room.
RATES: they claim that a "continental" breakfast is included but it's only fruits, coffee & juice,no bread, eggs or pastries... except if you pay for them. The reception also tried to have us pay for additional extras (namely a “sexy kit” :-) and some additional tips for the mini-bar (!)) that we didn’t use and therefore refused to pay for. Looking at what was debited from my bank account, it looks like they charged us for it anyway, or they didn't apply the 10% dicscount rate we were supposed to get. Not sure I'll ever see my money again...
Probably our worst night in a hotel ever... and we do travel a lot...
Small Luxury Hotels should kick them out asap

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank EdandYo
Adalberto R, Gerente at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Good morning,
Thank you for your feedback. The hotel is our priority and to ensure that every guest has a great experience. I regret that your stay wasn't as good as it was to others. The noise that comes from the restaurants on the main floor are not part of the hotel but anyways they should respect our guests sleeping hours. That is something that will be taken care of as of now. Regarding the continental breakfast it does include bread and pastries, this should not have happened. There should not be any charges for minibar that you did not consume. If you wish to contact me my email is areiter@downtownmexico.com

Reviewed August 19, 2012

As the latest property in the trendy Grupo Habita chain, there is no doubt this very recently opened place will soon become the "it" hotel in Mexico City. Despite an unfriendly location for both business and nightlife, it has all the prerequisites: trendy restaurants (Padrino, newest in an upscale Mexican group of semi-Meditteranean bistros, and Azul Historico, the third run by a well known Mexican chef), local boutiques (i.e., Pineda Covalin) and an outdoor rooftop bar and lounge with a jaw-dropping view. Member of both SLH and Design Hotels, this place would seem to have everything going for it from the start.

I arrived early on a Monday morning, having reserved a Colonial King room for Sunday night in order to be able to sleep when I arrived after a red-eye. Was met by a security guard at the entrance and escorted through the open air courtyard to the hotel reception, where I was greeted and efficiently handled by a friendly desk clerk, then taken to my room. There was no expense spared in the renovation of the colonial building housing the hotel and the result is quite impressive. The hotel's 17 rooms and suites are all on the second floor, overlooking a central courtyard. Upon first entering my room, I noticed two things. The spectacularly high ceiling. And the heat. I asked where the air conditioner was. The bellboy pointed to the small fan above the entrance. I asked again and he said that the government wouldn't allow air conditioning in the colonial building and offered to bring another (bigger) fan, which he did. The room was an open concept, meaning no separate bathroom with doors. There was a bed and one chair at a long shelf that functioned as a desk and the only table in the room. There was no window facing outside, but the door could be configured to open with a view to the courtyard and the upper part of the entrance could be opened to allow for some ventilation.

My room was beautiful and cool (but not in the literal sense of the word). It was sweltering in Mexico City during most of the time I was there and despite having two fans at full speed, the room frequently was too. The hotel provided glass bottles of the Evian of Mexico (Aqua de Piedra), which I chilled in the mini-bar and which helped cool me off after returning from meetings in the afternoons. After a day, I began to notice that design frequently took precedence over function. The only two places from which to watch TV were in the one chair or on the bed. The chair was against the wall and so was the TV, making the bed the only comfortable option. Problem was that there were no side tables, just a headboard with a shelf on top, so there was really no place to put things while watching TV. Spills of wine and water were frequent, as I tried to balance the glasses on the bed. The lock on the door to my room was below my knee level, and it was a pain to open the door both coming and going. And the hotel was dark in many areas with dim lighting, very dark in fact, especially after coming in from the bright sun. Mini-flashlights were provided with the room key, and I need to use mine frequently in the halls, elevators and upon entering my room.

Transportation was a disaster. Located on a busy street in the historical 'Centro' of Mexico City, the hotel is convenient only for those who want to stay in the Centro. Taxis are necessary to go to/from other places in the city. There are two options: the hotel taxis and the street taxis. Having lived in Mexico City for 20 years, I am comfortable taking street taxis during the day, but they were hard to find during peak hours. The first time I asked for a hotel taxi, the security guard told me 10 minutes, and after 30 minutes and several unpleasant discussions with him about timing, in which his attitude was "that's the way it is" and highly dismissive, it arrived. While waiting, I noticed several other guests coming and going via street taxis, and the guard did nothing to help them with packages, open doors, etc. When my taxi finally arrived and we were underway, the driver wanted to charge me the $US22 for what is a $4 ride. He said the hotel fixed the price. I told him to take me back, which he did. When questioned by the security guard, I told him the price amounted to highway robbery and once again, he was dismissive. I found a street taxi while the security guard looked on with contempt. Upon leaving, I decided to take a hotel taxi to the airport rather than risk standing in the street with my luggage and hoping to find a local taxi. It took a good 20 minutes to arrive, and while the price was more reasonable ($15), the car was in terrible condition...way worse than most street taxis. I was helped by a hotel bellboy with my luggage.

The hotel plumbing was also an issue. Smells in my room at times ranged from mildly obtrusive to almost unbearable. I came home one night and thought something had died. The bathroom/shower area was beautiful and well equipped, but as it was open, I probably wouldn't want to share the room with anyone else, no matter how close the relationship.

Noise was a problem too. As there is no air conditioning and you need to access the courtyard area for ventilation, sounds from the restaurants, bars and people coming and going were frequently bothersome, especially at night when trying to sleep. A loud party one night kept me up until almost 3am.

There were not a lot of guests in the hotel while I was there, and the many uniformed staff members frequently seemed to be standing around with nothing to do. They were all unfailingly friendly and polite. I particularly liked the middle-aged blonde room maid in her black uniform and trendy sneakers. The few times I had room service it was good, fast and fairly priced. I ate at both hotel restaurants, as well as in the terrace area on the 2nd floor outside the rooms that I believe is reserved for hotel guests only. Food was always good, exceptionally so in the Mexican restaurant. The rooftop bar was quiet the one night I went up to check it out; I would have been the only one there, so I didn't stay. It seems uber-cool and I am sure it will soon be as packed as it's sister bars at the Condesa D.F. and Hotel Habita are in no time at all.

At check-out, I was asked what I had had from the mini-bar the evening before and I told them. They sent someone to check and was asked if I had any water. I said yes. Turns out, they charged for water...my water bill for 5 days was over $25. This p#$%ed me off to no end and I told them as much. It's Mexico City for C%*#st's sake...who drinks the water? What kind of hotel doesn't provide complimentary drinking water? This kind, apparently.

All-in-all, it was an ok stay in a beautifully designed new place, however, the lack of air conditioning, the plumbing smells, the noise, the taxi situation and the insulting water charge will keep me from coming back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Brian H
Adalberto R, Gerente at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Good Afternoon Brian,
First of all, thank you for having stayed with us and for giving us such good feedback. As you mentioned we are just finishing our first month. Everything you say has been taken into account and are doing are best to get better everyday. Regarding the whole establishment not all the wecurity guards are from the hotel since we do not manage the whole building, just the hotel. I will gladly pass your comments to the building administration since we always try to work as a team to offer the best service all around. In downtown mexico we have strict quality standards and work daily to improve anything that we need.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

I was looking forward to have a great experience for my 1st Anniversary, and I did! DOWNTOWN by Habita Group offered me such a nice place, great location, excellent service and really comfortable suits, the view is great, and I had the BEST Anniversary! Wiii Wiii

Carlos G.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Adalberto R, Gerente at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Hi Carlos,
It was a pleasure for me and my team to be able have you with us and assist you in enjoying your anniversary.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Hi,
We stayed in Downtown Beds, the hostel part, and it was fantastic. The place is bright new, they have done a great job in having a modern hostel preserving all the structure of the typical casa virreinal. The rooms were spotless and really quiet since they are all in an interior patio so you are right in the city centre but can have a nice rest. Communal bathrooms and showers were in perfect condition.
The hostel is part of a group of gorgeous bars and restaurants in a yard so if you make it there late or tired you don't even need to leave the place and it's comfortable, open till late and the atmosphere is cool. You can have nice dinner in Azul Histórico and even some mezcal in La Botica bar!!! The staff were very nice and helpfull and the big screen with huge sofas or the swimming pool on the terrace are super welcoming after a long day or night visiting this amazing city. Will most definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank cristina577_12
Adalberto R, Gerente at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Hi Cristina,
It was a pleasure having you around. We are glad to have been able to offer you the experience that we intented. Hope to see you back in Downtown Beds, let us know if you come back so we can great you as you should be greated.