“Event Hotel First”

Ranked #167 of 310 Hotels in Mexico City
Brooklyn, NY
“Event Hotel First”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

This hotel is very modern, clean and artistic. The continental breakfast included with the room is wonderful.

However, I have a couple big issues. For one thing, when we reserved our room there was no mention that there were entire 'smoking floors.' We were assigned a room and on the second day started smelling strong cigarette smoke. We told the front desk and they said they would handle it, but then the housekeeping staff told us that we were on the smoking floor. Kindly, our housekeeper offered to put a damp towel by the crack in the door at night, but it was still not great. There is so much more smoking in Mexico City than we are used to in NYC and it would have been nice to have our hotel room at least be an oasis to get away from the smoke.
Also, my bigger issue is that this is an event hotel, first and foremost. I never got that impression from their website but it became very clear as we stayed there all week. Pretty much every single day there was an event of some sort being held on the rooftop and/or by the pool. That means a check-in table in lobby, tons of random people entering the hotel (and easily able to ask for a room key at the front desk if they wanted to, making it not very safe for hotel guests), and the rooftop and/or pool not being available to hotel guests. On a Saturday there was seven hour event. Because I made it clear I wasn't happy about not being able to use the pool, they did say we could be there but the truth was that all chairs and lounges were put away so we couldn't have done anything but stood around anyway, which would have been awkward and not the point of relaxing at the pool. I made it really clear to the front desk that I thought that wasn't fair to hotel guests paying money to stay at a hotel with a pool and that I wasn't happy. Nothing was done to ameliorate the situation or attempt to make their guests happy.

In short, I simply feel the hotel should be more clear about it's status as the hot spot for events so that guests can decide if that is the type of experience they are looking for or whether they would prefer privacy, access to all hotel areas and relaxation.

Room Tip: Not the 4th floor if you aren't a smoker!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AnnieH43

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Israel
Reviewed May 18, 2013

The hotel is located on the main road in Polanco.
It is a small modern hotel, with spacious room.
Breakfast - good selection of cold buffet. (Be careful not to order Cappuccino instead of café with milk. Same preparation, but you will be charged extra for this)
Price is a bit on the higher scale

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Hotel Habita is a favorite. Prefer this hotel over many others. The location, neighborhood, accessibility to best restaurants, metro nearby, as well as a low key professional staff. Great rooftop bar. Offers surrounding view of Polanco. Always planning my return before I check out.

Room Tip: Mid level floor. Street side.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Madrid
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Design is great and location very convenient. Food at the restaurant is also good but the service is unhelpful and sometimes unpolite. Personnel at the reception is cold, too junior and not welcoming. There was extra charges in the final bill and nobody apologised for the errors. made me feel they wanted to cheat with this complicated and endless bill. I have stayed there 3 times and always the same problems.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank BaganChueca

Travelers are raving about these Mexico City hotels

Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I booked this hotel for a 8 nights stay in March 2013 due to it's location and the fact that it belongs to Leading Hotels of the World. To make a long story short, I decided to check out after one night stay because you simply cannot deal with a 5 star hotel where the front desk is attended only by 1 staff member - not very helpful, the room could not be heated, the internet was so slow that I never succeded in reading a single mail on my iphone or computer. It was very cold everywhere in the hotel - probably due to the low quality of the Building. Breakfast was acceptable but you needed to enjoy it sitting with your coat. After having many starys at Leading Hotels of the World, I simply do not understand that LHW is willing to put their brand at risk with such a poor propertry on all aspects. The location was the only thing I could rescue from this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Gabin68
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed there for just one night and it was not the best experience. When we got there, the check in was fast. We arrived to our room, small and with a nice terrace. After we were installed, we saw not one but two roaches! Really?! We called the front desk and they offered to send someone to kill them for us, but my husband already killed them. Killing them was not the problem, the cleanness was. I did not want to find a roach around my stuff…disgusting.

Anyway, they moved us to another room, which was bigger and had a balcony. It was clean, but had a funny smell, like if someone smoked there. The following morning we were in a rush, so we ordered room service. Our breakfast was mediocre. How hard its to make some decent scrambled eggs? I promise you can find better places for breakfast than what we got. We called the front desk to get a taxi for us to go to the airport. When we get there, they haven’t called the taxi for us yet, so we had to wait. As I said before, we were in a hurry and that’s why we called beforehand. My husband said how disappointed he was, and the breakfast was on them. They apologized for the roaches inconvenience, but did not seem to care about the cab. I wouldn’t stay there again. I mean, the location is great and the rooms are nice, but they need to make sure that the rooms are clean and roaches free. More so, the service has to be on top of things.

Room Tip: Don't stay in a room with a little indoor terrace.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Geniegirl1
Reviewed March 8, 2013

No hassle stay, even though a bit apprehensive after reading the reviews about noise. Stayed mid week so no noise problems other than the morning traffic, but this is due to an outstanding location close to shops of all sorts and great restaurants.
Room was very modern and lots of magazines to entertain.
Only slight concern was the slight sewer smell in the hall way (level 3), but absolutely no issue inside the room.
Very nice pool deck and very fresh cocktail (super good value $, by Australian standards).
The value of the room could be an issue for some (myself included even with a discount deal through hotelsclub.com), and I would recommend a repeat visit for those who feel the need to be trendy and like to be within walking distance of boutique shopping.
Very fast and tasty room service light breaky too.

• Stayed March 2013