“Rooms and People”

Ranked #188 of 305 Hotels in Mexico City
Fortaleza, CE
“Rooms and People”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I believe the Hotel El Diplomatico could be the better in Mexico DF, but the lack of tolerance and friendliness of your staff will never come. Situation that happened to me: I was sharing an apartment with a friend who came from Argentina and were going to spend 6 days, then each paid 3 daily at the hotel, but my friend had problems on the credicard and just unlock it after 3 days. On the third day, they blocked our access to the room and just let us pay rise when the rest of the day. OMG! Every hotel in the world you can pay at checkout! Really can not recommend the lack of friendliness of the staff.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Lapua, Finland
Reviewed October 30, 2013

This was my second time in Mexico City and from the previous experience I learned to request a quiet room. Reception personnel was not too fluent in English and they look each other when I made my request. The bell boy took my luggage and lead me to 1st floor room on the side of the main street. I explained to him that I wanted a quiet room, well, this one is not. We headed back to reception and he got me a 4th floor room at the back side. This time the room was quiet, very good!

Room is OK albeit a bit old fashioned and had a bit worn furniture. It was equipped with aircon which I did not need in October. Safe yes, but I newer bothered to get a key for it. No bar in the room but one could buy food & drinks in the empty fridge. Bath room was OK. You can hear some noises from the outside and from the other rooms but nothing that would bother too much. In the evenings cigarette smoke got into room (416), I do not know how. It was bothering a bit.

Breakfast was a Mexican style buffet. Luckily they also have youghurts and fruits available so it was OK.

I spent one week in the hotel. It is good enough work work trip when you do not spend much time in the room. The desk was not ergonomically right for me, I got my shoulders aching after working besides the desk with laptop.

Not a Hilton but supposedly good value for the money. Good access to the Metrobus station and subway. Plenty of eating places around. Including large McDonalds and a couple of Japanese restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, higher floors and not on the main street side. Go back to lobby if you do not...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Jari K
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We spent 6 nights at this hotel. It is reasonably priced and well located if you need to be in the southern part of the centre. The rooms are large and comfortable, as is the bathroom, though the furnishings are a bit worn and old-fashioned. The staff are friendly enough but stretched thin. Don't ask for information at reception, go straight to the bellboys near the front door, they know their stuff. The main problem is that the key cards need to be reactivated constantly; if you manage to get into your room three times in a row without reactivation, you're lucky. There are different choices for breakfast. The buffet is possibly too Mexican (chicken mole is not standard breakfast fare), but the fruit selection is nice. The hotel offers a taxi service. It is a bit expensive and they take a commission. You're better off walking to the "taxi de sitio" round the corner, next to Fogonazo, a nice Mexican fast food eatery. It is perfectly safe to get a cab there and you pay a lot less. We took one of their taxis to the airport.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank rsitman
Norman, Oklahoma
Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I are staying here for 3 weeks and then another week towards the end of September 2013. My husband is working here in Mexico City for 4 weeks and this hotel was recommended to us. I read the reviews and had mixed feelings about staying here. That said I should mention that we have lived in Mexico City many times and twice we have had long stays of 3-4 months in different parts of the city. I have to say that we are both very pleased with this hotel and especially the location. True there are other hotels in Mexico City that are most likely nicer more elegantly appointed, but this hotel is perfectly adequate for us. We did follow a trip advisor review recommendation and requested a room in the back. These rooms apparently have been renovated and are relatively quiet considering we are next to one of the busiest streets in Mexico City.
The room is fairly large, larger than what we expected. It has two double beds, a desk and a nice love seat as well as a separate closet and armoire. The bathroom is fine and very clean, good hot water every day. The room has good AC and the best thing is that wi fi does not have to be reprogrammed everyday anymore and it works pretty well from the room.

Have not eaten at the restaurant yet as there are plenty of street vendors selling all kinds of great stuff for breakfast. This includes chilaquiles, tamales of all kinds, chocolate, atole and a lot more.

Staff in the lobby has so far been courteous and the check in was very quick.

The gym is small but adequate if you really want to work out. There is a small refrigerator that works well for keeping milk, drinks and cheese cool. You have to leave the wood door open if you want your refrigerator to work better. These refrigerators are enclosed inside a wood frame.

Two good size bottles of water are provided everyday. We brought our water purification system and it has worked great for us so we always have safe water to drink in our room.

The room comes with an ironing kit and a safe.

The location is excellent, the hotel is less than half a block from a beautiful park called “parquet hundido” or sunken park. It is fairly large and very clean. We don’t walk there at night but in the daytime there are many people jogging or walking their dogs. This alone is a good reason for us to stay at this hotel as walking for exercise in Mexico City is not something easily done on the streets.

Lots of restaurants very close to the hotel. Less than half a block there are 2 or 3 places that are open late and are not expensive. A Mac Donald’s and a subway are also fairly close. An excellent high quality bakery (el globo) is also nearby and there are other restaurants all within walking distance meaning no more than two blocks.

Over all this hotel is a good deal with very reasonable rates for Mexico City given the excellent location. The beds could be softer, but we have been able to sleep ok. I would stay here again if I were returning to work in Mexico City.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the parking lot towards the back have been remodeled and are very large. They appe...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Sarracenia
Nottingham
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Mainly used by business people, judging by the looks of them at breakfast and the location which is full of office blocks. Useful for the metrobus stop which takes you up and down the main drag (Insurgentes) through the middle of the city. Be prepared to speak Spanish, not just here but everywhere in Mexico City. Some of the staff had some English, particularly the excellent bellboys and one or two of the waiters. We changed our room because of the noise from the street (car horns) and there was no fuss. In fact we found all Mexican people to be patient, relaxed and totally un-pushy. Don't expect to have people running about at your beck and call. Go with the flow.

Room Tip: Change your room if you overlook the street.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 24, 2012

This hotel would have looked OK in the eighties but nothing has been done to make it seem current or welcoming. That, however, was the leasdt of this hotel's problems. The first room was like an oven with air conditioning that did little to change the situation. So we asked to be moved and they did give us a better room. However, we discovered that the air conditioning did not work at all in this room. The extractor fan for the bathroom did not function either. At 8.30 in the morning, the bell at the door was rung by the cleaning staff asking if we wanted our room cleaned. When we complained yet again, they offered us yet another room and guess what back where we started. Although we were given a room in the newer part of this hotel, there were no signs about how to get back to reception. There were no pictures on the walls in the corrdiors or even a potted plant to break up the empty, empty corridors. Needless to say we decided to check out. They refused a refund and we're now taking it up with the consumer bureau and the tourism ministry. I have never reviewed a hotel before but the attitudes of the staff leave no choice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Mexico City hotels

San Antonio, Texas, United States
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Because of its location we have stayed at this hotel several times and this was by far the worst. There was a large group of students who decided to have a fist fight in the early morning hours right outside our door. This went on from 1:30 am until about 5:30 am. It took several calls to the front desk to get them to call the police. We complained to management and they were very unapologetic. Their attitude was "these are young students." They moved us to another room, but the situation was not remedied. Uncaring, unprofessional, and lackadaisical management attitude. We will never stay there again.

Room Tip: AC sounds like an F-16 Elevators broke down constantly Old, unkept rooms
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family