WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hotel Del Principado

Hotel Del Principado
Ranked #85 of 307 Hotels in Mexico City
Tampa, Florida
“Great location, great price.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for the last two days of a 16 day trip in Mexico. Through an online travel booking site, I paid 1006 pesos for the two night including tax, (worked out to just over $40 per night including tax). This was for a standard room without breakfast. (No need for breakfast at the hotel. There are cheap eats on every corner of Mexico City!)

The location, right in the middle of the Zona Rosa (the Pink Zone) couldn't be better. It's only 2 blocks off of Avenida Insurgentes (and the Hamburgo Metrobus stop) At this intersection, walking north on Insurgentes for just over 5 minutes will take you to Paseo de la Reforma. If you walk in the other direction for 5 minutes, you will reach the Insurgentes Metro station. So there's easy access to public transportation.

The room was rather small, but clean. A huge king size bed took up much of the space in the room. There was a very small closet, a small dresser with TV on top of it. and a small counter with a bench that served as a makeshift desk. The bathroom was tiny (especially the shower stall in the corner of the bathroom-very little room to spare) The furnishings almost had a European IKEA style look. In fact, that combined with the small quarters, especially in the bathroom, with every square inch serving some useful purpose, gave me the feeling that I was in a small hotel room in some European capital rather than Mexico City. There is a hair dryer in the bathroom. The room is equipped with a strong Wifi signal. The window looked out into an air shaft with a full view of another room's window 10 feet in front of you (make sure the blinds are closed!) Like everywhere else in Mexico City, there was no air conditioning. I was staying during the hottest months of the year there. The hotel keeps a fan in the closet to take out and use in case you get hot. There was only a couple of hours a day when even that was necessary.

At all times, staff was very friendly and helpful. They got a car for me at 5 in the morning to the airport for 150 pesos ($12.17) This is much more than what a regular metered taxi would charge, but much less than other hotels in the area charge for their own car service, and less than the ripoff taxis at the airport (238 pesos?? No thanks,I said)

You can have guests over in your room at any time, and the hotel doesn't care or charge any more for it. In fact, three different guys visited during the course of my two night stay and came right up to my room. No one at the hotel said a word or raised an eyebrow.

I would not hesitate to stay here again if the price is right.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Eric M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

I booked this hotel after reading reviews on TA. On arrival, the hotel was full and we had been allocated a king-sized bed instead of a twin room but my daughter and I didn’t have a problem with this so the receptionist rewarded us with a couple of Coronas. We were pleased with the room, comfortable bed and small but adequate bathrrom... but be warned – there is no A/C. Our stay was in early May so the fan provided was sufficient (though my daughter had some difficulty sleeping in the heat.) I can imagine these rooms can be stifling mid-summer.

Unfortunately, the hotel experienced a problem with the water supply the following morning. We had no water at all for a day and no hot water for a further day. A potable water tanker was parked outside the hotel on the first day. We were on a short stay in Mexico City and wanted to see as much as possible so I did not want to be side-tracked by looking for an alternative hotel so we stuck it out. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. Safety deposit boxes are provided at reception for no extra charge. There is free wifi.

We paid extra for the breakfast buffet and I would not do this again. Food was average and service was below average. There was an excellent coffee shop half a block from the hotel – Café Santa Domingo - where the friendly owner welcomed us like long-lost family!

We found this hotel well-situated for sightseeing in DF – a couple of blocks from Paseo de la Reforma and walking distance (20 minutes) to the Zocalo/Belles Artes. For the price, I would definitely stay again but I'm reducing my review to 4-star due to the water issue.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank AlexFamily
girdwood
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here at the beginning and end of our vacation to Mexico. Walking distance to bosque de Chapultepec. Taco stands and restaurants in all directions. Convenient store less than a block away. We didn't need our room cleaned everyday so the slow house keeping never bothered us. Great place at a great value.

• Stayed April 2013
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Rooms: clean, a little small but ok, really unconfortable beds!! They were extremely soft. Website offered air conditoner and we received a really noisy fan.

Location: great, really close of night clubs, restaurants and many other attractions.

Food: bad buffet breakfast, no vairety at just one waiter and must say not a really kind one.

Overall opinion, nice for one night stay but i would stay somewhere else if my trip was longer.

• Stayed May 2013
Ridgeland, Mississippi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

my husband liked this hotel but I did not care for it and there are better options available in this price range. for starters it was on the wrong side of avenida insurgentes thus inconvenient for where we wanted to go. (we usually walk everywhere as DF is so walkable.) the price was terrific and I read good reviews which was why we chose this hotel. we had an inside room opening onto an airshaft which made it very quiet. our room was not very clean when we arrived but improved thereafter when it got cleaned. we frequently arrived back in our hotel at 6 or 7 to find it not yet cleaned. I usually had to ask for towels or a bathmat. the staff here are very nice and very helpful and the breakfast buffet enjoyable. my husband said he would return but I will head next time to hotel florencia which is where we usually stay. if I sound wishy washy about this place....well, that's just the way it is.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank carolee999
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stay in this hotel the second time and we are completely satisfied with our choice. This time we stayed for 6 days. Del Principado is situated in a very good place, almost in the cetre of Mexico city, in 5 minutes from metro Insurgentes. The rooms in hotel are not very big, but clean, light and comfortable, with internet in the room. Hotel is so nice and quiet, the staff is very friendly and always ready to help you and ask any your question. You can reach many interesting places and sights by walking from hotel, without using any transport. Just take the city-map on reception and go on! I recommemd this hotel from all my heart to everyone for staying in the capital of Mexico

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lena Elena G
Vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

My room was quiet and reasonably clean, but often hot and stuffy. I didn't use the electric fan because there were no extra outlets in the room. Mosquitos were also a problem. The windows should have had screens.
The staff is kind, friendly and generally approachable..
The restaurant is a joke. The breakfast buffet was okay but most dishes contained meat and I'm a vegetarian. Also very few meatless options on the dinner menu and the waiter after being informed twice that I'm a vegetarian brought me a plate of fetuccini laced with ham. He returned it for me but when he brought it back, after I ate most of it I discovered a piece of ham at the bottom so I had to almost force him to not charge me for it. He held a grudge and didn't give me the time of day for the rest of my stay.The plasma screens (three of them) are also unnecessary, especially during breakfast. Music would have been much nicer. A communal table for guests to meet and chat would also have been nice.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the back are quiet.