“How to fall in Love with Mexican Food”
Review of Alegria in Mexico

Alegria in Mexico
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Ruth Alegria Tours/Mexico Soul & Essence ranked among the top 5 cooking schools in Mexico by Saveur magazine. For every season in Mexico, there is a celebration whose main focus is the cuisine and rituals of that place and time. Join with the people and communities who celebrate and preserve their culinary traditions.Immersing cultural travelers and cuisine lovers to the culture, gastronomy, art and history of Mexico. Discover the pleasures of Mexican cuisine while learning how to prepare its most iconic dishes.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“How to fall in Love with Mexican Food”
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We had a fantastic 3 days with Ruth. We came from no knowledge of Mexico City and its Cuisine to leaving with a love and appreciation of some of the best food tasted ever. The knowledge of the culture, food and city was extremely informative, here passion for the cuisine and energy made our trip absolutely brilliant. We didn't have enough time but are destined to be back and learn and eat more

Visited March 2012

Springfield, Massachusetts
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“The experience- and meal- of a lifetime!”
Reviewed March 12, 2012

My husband planned an incredible trip for us to Mexico City this past December. Knowing my love for cooking, and especially my adoration for Mexican cuisine, he connected with Ruth who planned an absolutely memorable day for us. Both of us being vegetarian, she took care to research and prepare a delicious menu that educated us on the roots of Mexican cuisine and left us inspired by all the vegetarian options within Mexican cuisine. Our market tour was such a highlight- the sights, smells, sounds and tastes- and traveling through the market alongside Ruth we felt assured that we wouldn't miss any of the best parts- I saw foods there that I'd previously only read about in cookbooks. We spent the rest of the afternoon cooking what was likely the most delicious Mexican meal of my life, and were even sent back to our apartment rental with leftovers! While all of the aforementioned details certainly sell Ruth's tour and cooking packages, more special than any of that is who Ruth is as a person- warm, friendly, funny, caring, knowledgeable and clearly head over heels in love with Mexico City. If you want to really taste and experience Mexico City, make plans with Ruth. We know for certain that we will again!

London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Brought Mexico City, its food, and culture to life for us”
Reviewed February 13, 2012

We were looking to do something different that really put us in touch with what life in Mexico City was like. My friend bought us a class with Ruth, and it was definitely the highlight of our trip!

Ruth took us to an amazing market and took the time to explain absolutely everything to us, as well as translating for us when we needed help. She had infinite enthusiasm and patience with us throughout the day, even when we would wander off mesmerized by this that or the other.

The class itself was terrific--it was as hands on as you wanted it to be, and the food was fantastic. The meal couldn't be beat, nor could Ruth's company! We relived our shared memories of New York, and she told us about the Mexican food scene--much more sophisticated than I would have ever thought! She has been available for questions ever since, and I've made a few recipes since getting home--they're fantastic! I'd highly recommend an afternoon with her; Mexico and its food will never seem the same!

SPRING, TX
“Wonderful day learning about Mexican markets and authentic cooking.”
Reviewed January 18, 2012

We started the day with a tour of a fantastic market specIailing in flowers as well as fresh produce, meats, etc. Hard to resist the food vendors so we didn't. Great street tacos from some apparently famous Mexico City vendors in the market. After selecting the fresh ingredients for our meal, we went to Ruth's home and had a great time cooking a beef stew recipe with lots of concurrent education re the ingredients, cooking techniques, etc. Highly recommend the cooking school and the market tour. Ruth is a very gracious hostess and a true gourmet chef.

Denver, Colorado
“Traveling in Mexico is always amazing. But Ruth helped make it better!”
Reviewed January 14, 2012

I had the opportunity to travel to Mexico City "D.F." for the first time in May. I have traveled to Mexico many times which has become my favorite place in the world. When I travel to Mexico, I love walking through the markets, walking into the local taquerias, and just losing myself in the amazing Mexican culture. So when I heard I could meet with Ruth and be guided through the local markets and actually have the chance to cook local dishes, I knew I had to do this. The day I met with Ruth, she was so kind and warm. When we started walking, Ruth told us many interesting facts about the local neighborhoods, restaurants and of course the food! When we arrived to the market, the smell of fresh fruit, spices and meats cooking on the hot grills filled the air. Ruth then guided us through the market and started telling us all about the ingredients that we were buying to cook with. Once we were done at the market, we traveled back to Ruth's house and started cooking. It didn't take long for all the wonderful smells to overwhelm my senses. In conclusion, this was one of my favorite experiences while traveling to Mexico. Basically, if your interested in Mexico and cooking, meeting with Ruth is a must. She is very knowledgeable and will teach you many things.

Visited May 2011