“Great place, bad service, bad food” 3 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Roma
Mexico City, Mexico
“Great place, bad service, bad food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2012

Slow service, bad food. The place is amazing! Recomended just for drinks

• 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Macbordo

“Different and great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

Mexican fusion food, great menu and service!
cannot go without having a couple of cocktails and dessert are delitefull as well.
thumbs up for the restaurant!
has valet parking too

4 Thank Viridiana O
Mexico City, Mexico
“Nice concept, still needs some work.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2011

First off, this restaurant is in one of the old and very lovely houses that inhabited the then suburbs of Mexico City at the turn of the 20th century on the street of Alvaro Obregon in Colonia Roma. Once you get inside you´ll see that the décor is pretty campy to say the least but I heard some people find it charming. One thing that is not charming is the very slow and distracted service from the waiters. After a long wait I had to flag down a passing waiter who I guess was ours because he waited on us the rest of the evening. Still, service remained a sticking point because the meal started without any of our drinks arriving and our glasses of water getting there after we finished dessert. First they brought a salad with caramelized nuts, goat cheese and a red wine dressing which was pretty good, no complaints. After that came an eggplant fondant with tomato chutney and basil leaves. Also beyond reproach.
Then the mixed feelings started.
My partner ordered a flounder dish that I found rather dry and over cooked but she thought it was fine so this came down to a question of taste. What was not a question of taste was my octopus that arrived charred and oily tasting which was a shame because the beans that came with it were perfect. After that a good but generic slice of chocolate cake and again, mixed feelings because it came with an excellent chili jelly that deserved better. Prices are a little on the high side and I don´t think it warrants a second visit until they address the service issues and food quality. The owner, a well-known soap opera actress is constantly bouncing from table to table chatting up diners but I was under the impression that people were more awed by her presence than by the food. I can´t say it wasn´t good but I´d sure be hard pressed in recommending it.

• Visited December 2011
4 Thank Ariel T
Here, There & Everywhere
“Quite Good... but still a little rough around the edges”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2011

Went there on a friday evening, quite full as you might guess... they we're also filming a TV show segment about the place, onto the place.. it's a very old house... a duplex actually so the place is divided into two mirror images, they remodeled it extensively .. the dining room is downstairs, the bar is in the middle floor and there's a sort of private pool room/bar/terrace... about the food, there are a lot of interesting dishes, for starters the frog's legs were very good, also had the grilled octopus and some scallops... my wife had a "Sencillita" salad quite good, I had a crab chilpachole with shrimp meatballs ... too fishy for some people but I liked it but it's not for everyone..... for main courses you can never go wrong with a ribeye... if they mess it up, well IMO you're not fit for cooking... but thankfully they did it just right, we also had a linguini with mussels & clams in a huitlacoche sauce with a touch of chipotle, I know sounds weird but It was tasty, I'm not sure I'd order it again.. but there are many interesting choices on the menu.. I will definitely be back and try some other dishes... maybe the "al pastor" duck tacos... or the soft shell crab... for dessert we had a lemon/lime merengue tart, called "La Imperdonable"... delicious.

The decoration is really kitsch, a mashup of styles... quite an interesting mix.. the dining rooms are so-so, I mean nice, some old sewing machines for tables, a mix n'match of chairs... but what really grabs your attention is the upstairs bar... the furniture is made out of some old suitcases... and the outdoor terraces are really comfortable and interesting to look at...

Ok with that settled... the service.. so unbearably slow!! They had a lot of waiters but they seemed to be doing nothing... even the maitre'd had to shake em up so they would get moving.. also the kitchen..very slow to bring out the dishes.... even the owner had to go yell at them to hurry up... oh yeah, the owner she's a telenovela actress... say what you may but the girl was on top of everything... taking care of orders, bringing drinks.. very personalized attention.. if it wasn't for her I would have given the place a zero in service...

Anyway... you should visit and give it a try, see what you think... I'm going back and see what other goodies I try... I just hope the service improves..

• Visited October 2011