“Embarrased and cheated in Bice restaurant”

Camino Real Aeropuerto
Ranked #99 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed May 26, 2010

We were attracted to the Bice Bistro restaurant in the hotel by a lot of advertising within the hotel. Actually we enjoyed our Mediterranean inspired meal, until the bill came. The prices were high but we sort of expected that. What we didn't expect was a "cubierto", a cover charge of about $2 US each for the priviledge of sitting in our chairs. We have never experienced this before in any restaurant unless there was entertainment, but there was none.

We signed the check to our hotel room and were walking out when just outside the door, in front of several people, the waiter stopped us and said something about not paying the bill. We showed him our room key which matched the bill we signed and he seemed satisfied. However, when we were passing the front desk, a restaurant hostess stopped us, waving the bill and saying that we had no credit at the hotel. Apparently the hotel had forgotten to ask us for a credit card on registering and did not okay the charge, a mistake on the part of the hotel. A very heated and very public conversation then occured after which the restaurant agreed to cancel the cover charge and the hotel agreed to accept the charge. Later the hotel apologized but the resuarant did not.

We were very embarassed by being stopped twice, publicly as though we were common thieves.

We are experienced travellers and have stayed at this hotel at least 10 times before during trips between Mexicoa and Canada. I don't think we will again. In addition to the embarrasing restaurant experience, we noted that the maintenance has gone down. It was very hard if not impossible to turn the taps off in the bathroom and the bath tub stopper would not hold water in the tub. The only plus in our stay was that the hotel staff were all very pleasant but that is not enough.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tristed

Reviewed March 25, 2010

Okay for a stopover I used this Hotel frequently as it is handy for the airport for the next days flight. Food is average,,,, bar service was good with a very entertaining barman.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed February 13, 2010

I stayed here for 2 nights on a business trip. The hotel is very convenient to the airport - a short shuttle ride from Terminal 2 or a bridge that connects to Terminal 1.

When you walk into the hotel though, you are overwhelmed by a smell of mold and chemicals. The rooms are very dated and the smell is worse - damp, moldy, with a chemical cleaning smell on top of it. I switched rooms 3 times - the first room I tried to live with, but after being in there for 30 minutes, my throat hurt from the chemical smell. The 2nd room was just as bad. Finally the 3rd room was bearable, but still noticeable.

The furnishings are horribly dated - feels very 1970s. Pillows are flat, sheets worn, old tube style TV, etc. The bathroom of the first room was very small, and the faucets turned on easily but were then hard to turn off. 3rd room bathroom was bigger and faucet functioned. Unlike the previous reviewer, I had hot water, but little water pressure. My alarm clock was broken - the numbers displayed in nonsense form and you couldn't shut it off, nor could you unplug it b/c it was wired to the wall. So I had to turn the volume down low and put a pillow on top to block the static noise. I asked for it to be replaced but it never was. Luckily the wakeup calls were reliable, and even came twice- once from a computer and once from a human.

The internet system is EXTREMELY frustrating and expensive. ($20 US for 24 hrs) They have no wireless in the rooms - so you have to call downstairs to the business center. They will bring you a cable and a login/password for the internet. Even once you have the cord, you still have to call down for the code once your time expires. The code has to be brought to you on a card that you sign for. Very frustrating to have to wait 15-20 minutes for the card to arrive when you just want to hop on line to check email. For a business hotel, this is nothing but silly. When I pushed them to give me the code on the phone, the staff member put me on hold and never came back (TWICE this happened!).

The rooms either overlook the airport or slums in the back.

Breakfast buffet was ok but expensive ($25 US) for what it was.

Business colleague had her car in valet and when we needed to get it out, it was a huge process that took 45 minutes.

I will say that the staff (other than the internet guy who put me on hold and never came back), was very polite and friendly, and were very accomodating at switching my room, etc. That's really the only positive thing I can say about this place.

I've stayed in the Camino Real in Mexico City proper, and that was very nice. I'd never stay in this one again, however. There is a Ramada nearby and other airport hotels - choose one of those if you need to stay by the airport.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank CaboGirl
Reviewed January 12, 2010

I need it to stay close to the airport to catch an early flight; the facilities are renewed but nothing to compare on the service to the other Camino Real Mariano Escobedo; there was no hot water in my room, a baby cried all night on the next contiguous room and sound like there where no walls, denied a glass of water and invite me to purchase a bottle of water for $2.00 Us dls.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 10, 2010

The story of a dying hotel, the Camino Real at the Mexico City Airport.

This is a sad report of the downfall of the great Camino Real Hotel. What was once a well maintained and well staffed crown jewel of the General Benito Juarez Airport, is now just a crumbling mess.

It may be the new Hilton next door, or the cheaper Ramada that matches the current quality of the Camino Real, or it may simply be the economy.

I checked in at 3pm on a Thursday. A strong pungent odor that was seeping up from the carpet. They have a process of drowning the carpet in the lobby with a liquid air freshener from a spray bottle. That constant dampness has created a mold smell that reminds you of a nursing home. The multiple pieces of opaque stone have been damaged and repaired so many times that they are more humorous than impressive. Even the manicured mound of moss and palm trees that use to captivate the has been dug up so many times without replacing the moss that it looks more like a work zone than the old tropical setting.

I took the elevator to my room on the 7th floor. The heavily textured walls of the atrium have been accumulating dust and dirt for years. Looking down at the atrium walls I almost changed my mind about staying, but of course the trip and the immigration lines get the best of all of us, so I was just looking for a good night sleep.

I opened my room door, and was initially happy with the look and the feel of the room. The style was dated, but it was not until I looked at the furnishings that I realized how the Camino Real keeps their rooms. The desk chair had changed, but the desk had not. It was chipped, cut and scraped all over. The television closet was also full of damage. No big deal, I was just wanting sleep anyway. I grabbed my toiletries kit and headed for the bathroom.

One of the things the Camino Real brags about is its bath tubs and marble walls in the bathrooms of each room. Again the problem is that there is no proper upkeep of the equipment. Both the sink and the shower head were damaged by so much lime deposit that they would not work properly. Maybe take a bath? Not able to. They had decided to repair a broken drain plug with the old rubber plug on a chain. The problem is that the plug was not the right size and the tub would not hold water. I resigned myself to a drizzle of a shower, brushing my teeth and going to sleep.

It wasn't until about 2am that I was able to get to sleep. It wasn't noisy guests that were keeping me awake, it was Camino Real Employees. I don't know if the Camino Real has opened its hotel to all of its employees as living quarters, but what I saw and heard were Camino Real employees along with friends, partying in the hallways of the hotel.

The next morning I woke up and set out to attend my scheduled meetings. I returned at 1PM to work on some paperwork, but was disheartened when the business center was closed. I fully understand the siesta culture, but it was not until almost 5pm that the business center re-opened. During that time I tried to work in the lobby, but during those hours the hotel applies another application of a vaccuum and a ton of the deoderant spray to the carpet. The whole atrium stunk for a half hour. It was a completely over the top, wet baby powder and musk smell. I had to get up and go outside the hotel for the half our it took to clear part of the smell. At 5pm, the business center reopened and I purchased my Internet connection. ($30 USD/day) and went to my room for the rest of the night.

The rates have not changed. It is still about $250 USD a night. (Always try to use pesos and ask for a lower rate.) I came back a second night the next week with a spanish friend and the room rate was about $100 a night. If you go to the restaurants, ask for both the spanish and english menus. The english menus are twice the price of the spanish menus. So you can see that the old grand Camino Real Hotel is now simply seeking to leverage its brand, and the images so many of us have of the old Camino Real, to simply rip travelers off.

The bottom line is that the Camino Real is in a downward tailspin. This is NOT the Camino Real of old. Advice: Stay at the Hilton for luxury or the Ramada for value. The Camino Real has lost its luster and the value simply is not there any longer.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank 789LLC
Reviewed January 4, 2010

I was not expecting much and the Mexico airport Camino Real met my expectations !

I booked the cheapest rate I could find (with Orbitz it turned out, under $100) as we had a 15 hours layover in Mexico between flights. The hotel paid us back in return by giving us a crappy small smoking room with a queen bed. Everything there was old and tired and of dubious cleanliness: the bed and bedsheets, bathroom, AC and TV. The internet never worked and cost $20, but this was refunded at checkout. The breakfast buffet was greasy and dry and not cheap ($20 each again). The swimming pool was undergoing repairs.

What was good about it? The location! Getting there was a breeze, no need to rely on these elusive airport shuttles, only an overpass to cross from T1, we loved this. Also, it was interesting to walk in the streets behind the hotel and see that the airport is surrounded by a dense city with housing and restaurants! Finally the style of the hotel, although very tired and a bit tacky, will very much please the 70s lovers!

I am not recommending this hotel but not exactly telling you not to go either. Go with low expectations if you get a low price and it is convenient for your flights.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CuriousFlyer
Reviewed October 26, 2009

Indeed excellent hotel, very convenient after a long flight, basically in the terminal 1. connected with it by a tunnel that crosses the street. we had a beautiful view towards the airport which was great for some airplanes spotting.
The room is very big for european standards, nice amenitties, big screen tv, large bathroom, comfy bed, excellent breakfast, though a little bit expensive for Mexico (480mxn for two) good staff. Did not have time to try the pool&gym. Be ready to tip anyone and everywhere.
I really reccomend it especially if you arrive late night after a long flight. The hotel itself is a 5 star.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple