“Overpriced, needs paint and a vacuum cleaning”

Camino Real Aeropuerto
Ranked #92 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed March 15, 2013

For $150, it would have been ok, except that the property is dated. Three lightbulbs were out in my room, the carpet needed a good cleaning, hairs were on the carpet, I am not positive that the sheets were fresh. The bathtub needed a good caulking. The walls in the halls atrium needed cleaning or paint. Not recommended.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Camino Real Aeropuerto

Reviewed March 9, 2013

What makes this place great is the location. If you have an early flight or have a short overnight between flights, this is the place. Walk to the airport (it can be a long walk to some of the distant corners of the airport), but convenient all the same. No cab rides, no money hassle. The rooms are nice and clean. A small desk for convenience in the rooms. The rooms are a bit tight, but the price is very reasonable for a hotel attached to the airport. Internet requires a password from the business office or the front desk and paid by the hour or 24h.

Room Tip: this is a huge hotel, many many many rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank beachseeker14
Reviewed February 12, 2013

The airline put us at the Camino Real overnight because of a missed flight. I do not know if it was because of the airline rate but they kept sending stranded passengers to the secondary “north” building, which did not seem as recently renovated as the main building. When we complained, they changed our room from the “north” to the main building. Rooms seem a little shabby, it seems that they have renovated or changed certain parts of the room (beds, for example) but left others as they were, giving a mixed impression. I do not remember hearing any airport or airplane noise in the room, though.

The airline compensation package included breakfast, which is very good at the Camino Real. It includes typical Mexican dishes (molletes, sopes, chilaquiles…), as well as an egg station, waffles, pancakes, pastries, cereal, juices, etc.

I still do not know how hotels can get away with this, but there is no free Internet anywhere in the hotel.

Reception staff does need improvement, when we approached the counter, a lady told us to go back and wait behind the line even when there was no one else in line and three members of the staff were available to help.

Note that the hotel is located in Terminal 1. If you are in Terminal 2, you can take the train to T1. Not far from the train arrival, there is the tunnel that connects the airport to the hotel. If you are staying in the Camino Real and are flying out of the T2, you can either take the train as previously mentioned or take the free hotel’s shuttle. The shuttle is quicker and easier.

It is an OK option if you need to spend the night at the airport, just do not expect a great hotel experience. I believe there is an NH Hotel at the T2, though, which might be a better option.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is on the main building, not the north one.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 12, 2013

The hotel is extremely convenient to the airport and it is connected to terminal 1 by a short sky bridge. That is the only thing going for the hotel! Maybe I'm a terrible American but I was shocked by how poor the staff's English was. At most hotels the staff speak excellent English - especially at the main airport. I asked for help with a flight reservation. The front desk woman (awful) told me to speak with the concierge. He wouldn't call the airline but instructed me to walk across the road to the terminal and speak with someone there!

The lobby is pretty but the floors are ratty with buckling carpeting and extra beds stacked up against the hallway walls- 4 right outside my door alone. The first room smelled and the second was very hot. (I had to go downstairs to request a change). The second room wouldn't cool off and I noticed the thermostat said 80 degrees and the temp was set for 50! I caled downstairs and a maintenance man came promptly and worked for 45 minutes (I couldn't go to dinner because I didn't want to leave him in my room). They finally told me to move rooms because the AC was broken. Bellman brought me a key and left me to pack up and move myself. The new room was fine but I realized my Internet had lapsed while I was moving etc. Back downstairs to the lobby to request a credit (you can never get anyone to answer the phone) and it took 15 minutes to try and make myself understood and a credit arranged. The bathroom was great but the Internet was very spotty.

Restaurant was just ordinary but edible. Had to call several times until they answered for my wakeup call (alarm clock was broken) The best part of this hotel was leaving it!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere! There's a Hilton nearby and it has to be better!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We booked through an on-line agency. We had an early AM flight and wanted to be close to the airport. The rate was right and after arrival we found the hotel is on the airport property, which was not mentioned on the booking site and not clear on the map.

Not being familiar with the hotel and knowing the area is confusing we took a cab as they assured us at the fixed rate taxi desk that it was the best way to get there. I caught a smile between the taxi line supervisor and the driver so I was sure we were being played but we had a lot of baggage so we went for the ride. It cost us US$15 to find out we could have walked the sky bridge across the street to the hotel in less than 5 minutes. The desk clerk told us they have a free shuttle, which again was not mentioned in the booking info. This of course was not the hotels fault.

The next item was Wifi. US$23 for 24 hours. No thanks. How about lunch. There are 4 restaurants on the property. The one we chose had a buffet or a menu. Price worked out about the same either way. So US$54 for two buffets. Breakfast only slightly less expensive.

The room was ok. Beds very soft. Not our preference. My wife wanted a hair dryer which had to be sent up by the desk. There is a minibar in the room but no key. The bellman said he could get one but by now having a feel for how things work I decided we'd pass on it and found the hotel shop was a bit more reasonable.

We wanted some bottled water. (We noticed later that the tap water is potable) We could call room service but prices were very expensive. I looked for an ice machine or a vending machine. None. In checking the floor I passed several signs which said I was in a secure zone. I also passed several exit doors which were not locked. One lead to outside stairs and was propped open. I couldn't close it. Also, the security lock on the room door has been removed. Use the in room safe.

On the upside. The rooms are almost totally sound proof. No aircraft noise. The airport shuttle train ran about 10 yards from our window. No sound. The entire staff are extremely courteous and seem to speak English.

The hotel is very convenient to the Metro (subway). Just be sure to note the name of the stop because the system map doesn't say Aeropuerto.

So in summary, we travel a lot. These things happen. You can't win them all.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2012

A had a short unscheduled overnight stay at the Camino Real due to a disruption with my flights. Landing at Terminal 2 late at night it was not that easy to find the hotel (not realising it was actually at Terminal 1 - and quickly working out most of the people working late at night at the airport do not speak English). Thankfully a security guard worked out what I was talking about and bought be a ticket for the shuttle bus to Terminal 1.

Check-in at the hotel, when a finally arrived, was reasonably quick, the rooms were perfectly adequate for a quick overnight stay, clean and in good condition. I didn't dine in the hotel but much appreciated the proximity to Terminal 1 for my Aeromexico connection early in the morning.

I think most of the other airport hotels are in or around Terminal 2 so Camino Real seems like a good choice if Terminal 1 is where you're arriving and leaving from.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank RRRP
Reviewed December 17, 2012

one night room 1130
Reception need a course on dealing with customers, no greating ,no welcome just (yes, your name) booked delux room, 2 people with breakfast
asked for a king bed, was told i had booked 2 beds ok can have king no delux king fully booked, no breakfast, went get my copy of booking, he shouts me back yes but only for one person tired travelling sort out when book out}

Delux room, can someone from Camina real go to other hotels see what a delux room looks like, first the view, multi story car park, 10 ft away from the window a 8 foot gas tank, room was as basic as budget hotel beds ok no hairdryer, has 2 beds but in the bathroom shampoo ect for one person
Breakfast was ok not big selection, but waiters were eff, quick to any request
booking out the reception staff are cold as ice, asked if there were king delux answer yes, asked then why was told your fully booked, withing second reply oooo we were fully booked but didnt recheck her computor befor answering
internet USD 25
BIG LET DOWN, stayed at other camino hotels this worst for customer service and room

Room Tip: go another hotel
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family