All reviews buffet breakfast and dinner rooftop bar small balcony desk clerk templo mayor third floor light sleeper yogurt stay in mexico city amigos dorm metropolitano pesos papaya cathedral soap
Selected filters
Reviewed March 2, 2019 via mobile

We were supposed to stay for 4 nights in Hostel Amigo Suites in a double bed room, we stayed one night and decided early on to book somewhere else.

It is in a good location and the man on at the desk night time as very helpful though we had some other issues, the bathroom was riddled with mould and the smell was overwhelmingly strong that I struggled to use it and would hold my breath when in there - you could also smell it in the main room. The other issue is the noise, everything echoes and we were below the rooftop bar so struggled to sleep even with ear plugs in. If you’re just passing through sure this place is fine but if you’re staying for longer would strongly recommend looking elsewhere!

Date of stay: February 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2019

From the exterior, this place looks pretty cute. The desk clerk was SO nice. That is where the positive aspects of this place come to a screeching halt. I understand simple and no frills, but my gosh. There is no elevator, which is okay, except if you are staying on the third floor and have luggage. Once in my room, I examined the bath towel, which felt amazing! But then I unfolded it to find a hole the size of a dinner plate. The water in the shower was blessedly hot, but the shower wasn't exactly clean. The sink faucet was a piece of PVC sticking out of the wall with a knob on top. It reminded me of camping. The waste line from upstairs ran through my bathroom, so I could hear every shower and toilet flush from above. All night long. The sheets on the bed were worn out and scratchy. The pillow was a collection of disintegrating foam particles. The door to the little balcony wouldn't completely close. A live band across the street played into the night, which, needless to say, affected my sleep quality. Onto the "breakfast," which was served on the roof outdoors. In December. On the "buffet" was blue jello (I am not making this up), cantaloupe, papaya, frosted flakes, funny-tasting milk, weird coffee, whipped beans, and some odd bean dish with soggy chips on top. I'm sure there must be better budget places to stay in Mexico City.

Room tip: choose another hotel!
Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed January 27, 2019

OK, it's a budget place so don't expect boutique, but the location is why I chose it and I would definitely recommend it for the price. The beds weren't great and the immediate area after dark seems dodgy but I think it looks worse than it is. Go to an internet cafe if you need internet as the wifi sucks. Like I said, it's a budget place and it does include 2 basic meals.

Date of stay: January 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed December 18, 2018 via mobile

After staying one night, we decided to cancel the second night of our stay due to the poor state of the amenities. In summary;
- the shower walls and shower head had hair from previous occupants
- the shower floor was dirty from previous use
- no hot water, I had to shower with cold water in sub 10 degrees celsius temperatures

After politely asking for a refund from the reception for our second night we were told to wait for the manager to rock up at 11 am. After waiting 2 hours, the manager told us she refuses to accept our cancellation -her reason being it is too difficult for her to process the reversal. We decided to contact our banking provider who advised a reversal can be processed from my end if the manager writes a one line statement saying the hostel will not claim the funds.

Upon giving the manager an easy and straightforward 'out' from the supposedly 'difficult' transaction reversal process, she flat out refused to co-operate. At this stage, we raised the point that we are checking out due to the poor state of the amenities, she said 'it doesn't matter'.

Ultimately, we checked out without being refunded for the second night of our stay.

Date of stay: December 2018
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed April 23, 2018

The Hostel Amigo Suites was a pleasant surprise for us in many ways. This was not what we expected from a “hostel”. It was more like a small charming hotel. Although there were “dorm rooms” with bunk beds and no private bath, it was very quiet and not rowdy at all. There was a wide range of patrons, from older couples, to singles to young adults – and everyone was very nice, polite and friendly. We had a room with two double beds, private bath and small balcony, for about $45 a night, including a breakfast and dinner buffet.
Most importantly, Hostel Amigo Suites has THE most perfect location. You are one block from the main sites: Templo Mayor, Cathedral Metropolitana and the Zocalo. Even though you are so close, this tree lined block is very quiet. In the afternoons it comes alive with tiny food shops and the sights and smells of Mexican cooking. The location was great because we could go out for a good part of the day, and it was convenient to come back to the hotel for an hour or two to re-group before going out again. This was key as there is so much to do and the day gets hottest in the mid afternoon.
Every member of the staff was amazing. The young gentlemen at the front desk all speak excellent English, were extremely helpful and always had big smiles. The ladies who work so hard to clean and prepare the delicious meals were all very kind and courteous, again, with big smiles all around.
The room was very basic: bed, linens, towels, TV, chest of drawers, safe, toilet paper. That’s it! Bring your own soap and mini bottles of shampoo. Our room was clean and attended to every day by the staff.
The breakfast buffet was plentiful and filling: coffee, tea, delicious cornflakes, milk, bread, jam, butter, yogurt, a huge tray of fresh fruit (watermelon, papaya, cantaloupe) and one or two dishes that changed every day. One morning it was rice and beans, another it was a tasty dish of baked tortilla strips with onions and cheese. On our last day we had soft halves of torta bread with ham, cheese and beans baked on top. We filled up on coffee and food and were set for the entire day! Dinner buffet was a basket of bread and two hot entrees. One night it was rice and a zucchini and tomato dish, another night it was cut up hot dogs and cubed potatoes cooked in a light, white cheese sauce. Always a surprise, and always surprisingingly good! The buffets are served on the roof deck, so there was a lovely view and breeze. There is a bar on the roof deck as well (open 3pm – 11pm) to order water, beer, etc. The friendly young man behind the bar also helps the staff prep and serve the meals.
Negatives: For us, a breakfast that starts at 8am is too late. We need our coffee much earlier! There is a wonderful lady down the block on the corner of Republica Brasil who opens at 6am and sells fresh, huge buns and “coffee” (instant, 10 pesos) but it did the trick until 8am! There are also two 7-11s on R. Brasil but their open times are negotiable – anytime between 6:45 and 7:30.
Second “negative” is beware of opening your window. We did that the first night to catch the breeze and woke up with mosquito bites.
Remember, don’t drink the water – don’t even brush your teeth with it. You can get a huge bottle of water in the lobby for 15 pesos, but the cheapest we found was the same size at the 7-11 for 10 pesos. Either way, buy bottled water and it is very cheap.
Overall we had a wonderful stay at Hostel Amigo Suites and in Mexico City. Make sure you take advantage of the great location by taking a walk in the evening to see the temples and Zocalo lit up – eerie and breathtakingly beautiful.

Date of stay: April 2018