“Careful! Noisy! My worst experience ever”

Hostel Amigo Suites
Reviewed April 29, 2012

My worst experience! People! be careful with this hostel, it seems to be a good choice - well located, not expensive, offer some excursions like many others, but it is SO noisy that you just can't sleep! I didn't have a lot of expectations, but at least a safe place to rest and resulted that I could sleep only 2 hours per night and It spoiled my short stay in Mexico city. Plus a noise from outside workers who were repairing the hostel made a huge scandal every morning at 7 am, literaly they shouted and didn't respect anybody!!! In fact after they were asked to calm down they started to shout even more loudly. The rest of the staff was very nice and helpful and also the tour guide was excellent.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
josearo, Propietario at Hostel Amigo Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2012

We are very sorry that you experienced this problem, the reparations and the workers were not from the Hostel and was not in our hands, fortunately they are over, we hope that you enjoyed the rest of the Hostel

There are newer reviews for Hostel Amigo Suites

Reviewed April 17, 2012

It was great to get to this hostel and be able to talk English, I loved rooftop bar. It's worth the extra few $$ to get a private room if there is 2 or more of you.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Located a few blocks from the Zocalo, this is a good option for the area. The price includes a basic breakfast and dinner on the rooftop terrace. The staff was helpful.

The block where the hostel is located can feel deserted at night. The private room we stayed in was clean but average. Unfortunately, mosquitoes camped out in the room made for an uncomfortable night's sleep. While I would stay here again, I would recommend surveying the other options that are only blocks away and even closer to the Zocalo.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Came here to chill for a week in semi-comfort at the end of 2 years on the road...

Easy to meet people as a single traveller, good atmosphere and plenty of food! Can put your mp3 over the sound system at the bar, great showers and a big roof terrace... The staff are the best bit though - they all speaka da English and they`re very friendly and helpful, it`s easy to arrange tours if that`s your thing, and I`m having an emergency situation with my flights out of here and they`re being absolutely brilliant. It`s a great base for exploring DF, when I come back I`ll be staying here again.

Room Tip: Dorms are small and have en-suite, tis all pretty plush by my standards.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Ed W
Reviewed March 22, 2012

We stayed here at the beginning and end of our visit to Mexico and not many places live up to it. The staff are friendly, the breakfast and dinner, although simple (and nothing wrong with simple when you are travelling) were nice. We were in a double ensuite room which was comfortable, huge, and clean. The staff were incredibly helpful and helped arange a taxi in the early morning for us. The tour guide for the Market tor and Teoticucan is so cute and good at her job, I recommend those two tours, and dont forget to tip her!

One compliant... We had come in late in the evening from a very long journey from the UK (via Germany and the US!), we were exausted and just wanted a good night's sleep. We were on one of the top floors and around midnight really loud (awful) music started blaring from the terrace, echoing through the building. I couldnt sleep and thought I would give it til 1am to quiet down. A little after 1am, being jet-lagged, sleep-deprived and pretty cranky I went upstairs and asked the three people including the big chap who works there if they could turn it down a little out of respect for the guests trying to sleep. I asked politely and I didnt think it was an unreasonable request: this is not considered a "party hostel" and it almost 2am on a Sunday night, plus the sound travels in that building. They turned it down a little but by the time a got back to my room it was back up louder than ever. In the end I took some sleeping tablets and bought ear plugs the following day, although I didnt need them again until Mexican independence day which was the night before we flew out... fair enough. I also got asked to keep my voice down when I was using the computers once - I think the staff should all have the same approach to music/chatting in communal areas late at night.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2012

This place is, like the other reviews say, a hybrid hostel/hotel. It's not doing either real well. I don't expect a lot from a hostel but the included breakfast and dinner was very average-the main problem is there isn't enough to go around-it's like the bare minimum. Better off spending a bit less and going somewhere where you get your own dinner/breakfast, I'd say-since there are so many good options for food in Mex city! The other bad thing was the beds-plastic wrapped mattresses that were sooooo hard I woke up with a sore back everyday. Also the bunk beds aren't secure so everytime the person on the other bunk moves, you get shaken about.

You could find somewhere much nicer and probably cheaper I'm sure.

On the bright side, location is good, it was clean and the staff were really friendly and helpful. The tour you pay for are good too-I did the wrestling and pyramids tours. The free walking tours weren't operating and I was annoyed they hadn't told me this when I emailed to make the reservation.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed January 14, 2012

We stayed here for three nights. It is clean, nice rooms, great shower but hard beds! Great terrace! But... They offer free airport pick up, but nobody came. The number they gave us didnt work. When we got to the hostel the owner didnt apologize, he just gave us a look and blamed everything on us. Not very service minded! The price include breakfast and dinner, which sounds good. But the dinner is more like a light snack, and it rans out straight away! Same with the breakfast.. So dont expect getting any food. They also offer different tours, which also sounds good. But they dont really want you to joine the tours. We signed up for a walking tour, and later that day they told us nobody had sign up so it had been cancelled. Apparently they need 13 people in the group! Then the next night we met some others from the hostel that had been on the walkingtour! It was not cancelled at all! So in the end we just felt like they offers a lot, but it is only on the paper. The receptionist er really friendly but dosent know anything. We also asked for a discount on the wrestling tour, because nobody picked us up at the airport, and ofcourse we never heard back. They just want your money, I would not go back. We went on the Wrestling tour which was great fun, but not because of the hostell. In that tour you also get BBQ, but they BBQ only last for 30 minutes, so eat fast! Again, it all sounds good, but in the end they just want your money...

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple