WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Nice House” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hostal & Casa de Huespedes Tamayo

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mexico City
Hostal & Casa de Huespedes Tamayo
Ranked #45 of 130 Mexico City B&B and Inns
Vancouver
“Nice House”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

I was there for two weeks, interrupted by two weeks in Puebla. When the cab dropped me off at 10:30 pm, I saw no signage and had to guess where it was, since the address was on one door and the intercom was on another. The street is not well lit and I had to drag my luggage down the street to read the address I had written down in order to properly confirm that I was in the right place. I did ring the correct intercom after ringing an incorrect one just next to it and was graciously received by Consuelo and her husband Carlos. The room they showed me was large and cheaply furnished with a stained carpet and a lack of colour. It was quiet with a view of the garden but very drab and sad looking. The bathroom is large with lots of hot water, but badly lit making shaving and, if you're a woman, putting on make up difficult. For toiletries I was given only one small cube of soap that was not replaced even though it was so small by the end of the week I could hardly see it. Towels were okay. Bed sheets had stains on them. When I returned from Puebla there was no plastic bag in the garbage container. There is only one garbage container by the way. It is in the bathroom.
Consuelo and Carlos were usually missing in action making it difficult to make contact in order to communicate concerns and get tourist information. There is no guests' computer in the house and since I did not have a cell phone with me I had to contact her from an internet café. There is no professionally trained staff. There is an elderly indigenous woman living there who is Consuelo's childhood "nana" and a man who works around the place and no one else.
There is no breakfast served, not even complimentary coffee. There is a large kitchen available to guests.
There is no TV in the rooms and it got noisy at times with guests and family members (this is also Consuelo's home) talking at the top of their voice late at night and doors being slammed. When I returned from Puebla and tried to tell Consuelo about the cab driver's attempt to swindle me she was more interested in getting back to her guests since she was hosting on the premises a dinner party at the time and of course the paying guests were not invited.
Since at the end of my stay I was going to need a 3 am cab to get me to the airport for a dawn flight, I was a bit worried that there would be no one present in the house to give the keys to or contact in case something went wrong or the cab didn't show up. I did manage to persuade Consuelo to be present when I left, but also had to remind her to call the cab the evening before.
I was up early enough. When it was ten to three I took my luggage outside to the patio where I waited for the cab. At three I heard the taxi pull up, left the keys on the patio table and just as I opened the door to get into the cab Consuelo appeared and said good bye.
Throughout my stay there I was basically on my own and the owners seemed interested primarily in collecting their money. This is a shame because it is a nice house with a lot of potential but it needs to be managed and staffed by people who really care about their guests and don't seem to view us as life supports for bags of money.
They do have a nice dog, a golden retriever named Teo. The owners could learn a thing or two from their dog about how to be good hosts.

Room Tip: Room 2, where I was, has a nice view of the garden but looks drab, faded and colourless.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Aaronbz

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Canmore, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

I was thrilled they also happen to have a cheap single room that is situated on the roof! It is like a hostel room or student room with a single bed, it's own shower/bathroom. Very narrow winding staircase to get up to it from the deluxe accomadation below. A door to the rooftop and a place to rinse out a few things and hang them on the clothesline I found. Perfect for a backpacker travelling alone! 5 minutes from the fun and busy Coyoacan District of Mexico City! Cafe's restaurants, music, artists, and historic properties. This Pasada/guesthouse is a modernized historic house located on a residential street with old trees and is suprisingly quiet when you check out the city view from your own private rooftop. Consuelo is the owner and is very helpful and even had a map and a lonely planet book to lend me.

Room Tip: if you're used to hostel travelling, you will love the secret rooftop room in this upscale B&...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo