“Awesome (As Usual)!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Barro Negro

Barro Negro
Ranked #444 of 4,170 Restaurants in Mexico City
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Reforma / Zona Rosa
Description: Barro negro nace con la intencion de promover y enaltecer la cocina mexicana en especial la Oaxaquena. Actualmente contamos con 3 sucursales Hamburgo 222 col Juarez D.F Moliere 48 Col. Polanco D.F Calle 38 Col. Shangri la Playa del Carmen los invitamos a disfrutar de la autentica cocina oaxaquena. Ingredientes Autenticos - Arte Culinario Oaxaqueno.
“Awesome (As Usual)!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

This was my third trip back to Barro Negro, the first since last summer. I was so pleased to see it doing so well. Anyone who has never eaten Oaxacan food needs to try it ASAP. I decided to veer away from the mole negro since I've had it twice before and know it's delicious. I decided on an appetizer sampling of three Oaxacan treat, and lucky me: one of them came with mole negro on it! a win/win for me. I cannot describe how good the appetizer filled with Oaxacan cheese was - the crispy grill charred tortilla on the outside and the rich, moist cheese on the inside was too much to bear. I had to stop after each bite and savor it. Dinner was a gamble that paid off big time. I ordered a dish of pork marinated in chiles and spices and grilled then topped with pickled onions; it came accompanied with huitlacoche (one of my all-time favorite things to eat in Mexico), Oaxacan cheese, and guacamole - a basket of warm, freshly made tortillas made this a terrific way to end my stay in DF. I love that it has an open kitchen in such a formal dining room and that you can watch the chefs prepare each course. At the end of the meal, the host poured my a complimentary glass of mescal to enjoy with my espresso. All this cost just $26.00 US (and I had two (non alcoholic) drinks as well). Barro Negro is officially a stop for me on every trip I take to Mexico City.

• Visited June 2012

Saint Louis, Missouri
“que chulo!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

Excellent service and great food!! I am not sure how often one can get Oaxaquena food, even in Mexico. DEFINITELY worth a visit to Barro Negro. Nice outdoor patio seating, as well as indoor seating. Good margaritas. Definitely recommend a visit - and if you are new to the restaurant, give the Platon Barro Negro a try - perfect as appetizers (or as a light dinner) for two. The more the merrier!

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Delicious Meal; Reminiscent of Oaxaca if you can't get there”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2012

Late night dinner last night; solo. I've spent a lot of time in Oaxaca and appreciate the excellence and subtelty of Oaxacan cuisine. This kitchen clearly does as well. Great mixed appetizer of three different filled tortillas (forget what they called it on their menu); followed by a fish dish (dorado -- mahi mahi -- marinated in mezcal and served with a lovely sauce). The "aguas" were also good -- Agua de Jamaica in particular. As were the tostadas served along with an assortment of three salsas. Really a lovely meal. Lots of options in Polanco, but this is certainly easy to recommend. Service was delightful; prices quite reasonable for the quality (not expensive by Polanco standards).

Visited April 2012
Munich, Germany
“Not a favorite”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

We went for lunch after reading raving reviews of this place – and were disappointed. We had very high expectations, but Barro Negro did not live up to it. The wait staff seemed overwhelmed by approximately 10 guests, service was hectic, spotty and uncomfortable.

The food was ok, but uninspired, mostly bland and lacked the amazing flavors that I got used to in Mexico. I am used to the type of cuisine they serve, but this was just badly executed. I rather have Tacos on the street from one of the vendors than go back to this place.

• Visited March 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Edinburgh
“Be Warned !!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2012

Four of our party dined in this restaurant during March 2012 after reading Tripadvisor Reviews. I think the owner and his staff have written the glowing reports themselves..

We hunted the place down and were surpised that we were the only customers, this worried us slightly. Then we were asked if we would be paying `CASH`, because there would be a 5- hour delay if we used Credit Cards. This worried us even more.

The owner/waiter was all over us like a bad rash and wanted to select our food and wine. We refused his offer. He then suggested he would provide us with a tray of regional starters for us all, but did` not give costs,again we refused his offer. He said we would get a free dink at the end of the evening, we did`nt .

He had no wine menu but served us very small 125ml glasses of Malbec at 85 Pesos a glass. The food we ordered from the menu mainly included Molli sauce. The food was average but the prices were not.

The very worst part of the evening was when we paid the bill. The money including a tip was placed on the table. As we got up to leave the owner/waiter rushed over, lifted the money and counted it out on the table in front of us, None of us had ever witnessed such actions in our life. We all got the strongest message that this restaurant was struggling to stay open.

• Visited March 2012