“Don't hesitate”

Journeys Beyond the Surface Popular Culture Tours
Ranked #2 of 107 Tours in Mexico City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Custom tours in Mexico City, Oaxaca and now IRAN!! Together, we create a private tour to expose you to the many social, political and cultural facets of Mexico City, exploring streets and neighborhoods in a way that is engaging and safe. By the end of the day, you will come away with a deeper and more complex understanding of this city that we love so much.
NYC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Don't hesitate”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

HIGHLY recommend Journeys Beyond as the place to start before you leave home. Mexico City is amazing- it's big, with so much to do and see. Using the services of the fabulous Moshde really allowed me to maximize my time there. In advance of my travels, Moshde helped me plan my intinerary. She's loaded with information - incredibly generous, enthusiastic, and patient-- goes the distance to solve problems and investigate based on your particular interests. Once in the DF I spent an incredible day and a half with Alvaro -- a day in Centro/Anthro museum - half day in Coyoacan area/Frida House/Trotsky/Sunday Art Market. Could I have done this on my own? Yes, but it would have taken at least twice as long, and I would have seen/learned half as much. I had such a fantastic and memorable experience touring with Alvaro - he's an artist/art historian and also a really nice guy - he enlightened me to so much of the history, art, politics, religion, and culture of Mexico that I never would have gotten on my own. His detailed explaination of the murals was especially terrific. Moshde was in the States during my trip, but went out of her way to call me while Alvaro and I were walking around to make sure all was well. I had questions during my planning phase about Peubla, my next stop after the DF--she followed up to make sure I had arrived safely. A couple in my B & B spent a day with Sergio and raved about him and JBTS as well. I'm very careful about how I spend money - this first class, highly personalized service is a great investment and really enhanced my trip to Mexico. Muchas gracias Moshde and Alvaro - and to TripAdvisor and all who posted reviews here of JBTS.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Maddy4

Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great tour, great tour guide, great value!”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We had a day tour planned with Moshde around Mexico City about handicrafts. Even before the tour Moshde was very helpful and provided great tips to get ourselves settled in Mexico City. On the day, she had a great plan about what we will see and places we will go, however was very flexible and adaptable if that didn't suit. Not only did we go to see handicrafts but Moshde provided excellent history and facts about Mexico City. I would highly recommend her service. She is very thorough, planned and a friendly, knowledgeable person. It all made for a great day and tour!

Visited June 2012
Rio Del Mar, California, United States
“A Perfect 4 hour Tour!”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Alvaro was our "Historic District" tour guide that lasted 4 hours. We walked all over the place and got a look at Mexican History not just by walking around and through buildings but by an in-depth study of artwork that tells the story of Mexico from ancient days forward. Fascinating!

We were dropped off at the crafts market and spent a couple of hours there enjoying fine quality artisan jewelry and other crafts from throughout Mexico.

Moshdej is amazing as well, and met us later in the day for drinks. We had a wonderful couple of hours just chatting. Both Alvaro and Moshdej went to great trouble to make sure that we had a perfect day!

Thanks both!

Lisa and Lynne

Visited October 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great Tour Service in an Incredible City”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My husband and I chose Mexico City for our 1 year anniversary trip. It was his first time in the country and my second time visiting this great metropolis. I am fluent in Spanish, the language written or spoken is not a problem for me, but given my husband is not I needed to find a way to show him the city and its surroundings with some context of the history. So, we hired Sergio for a day. It was the best decision ever! We hired him for a day to visit the pyramids and to tour the downtown area on foot. It was a joy! Sergio is not only extremely knowledgeable and enthusiastic about what he does, he is also a pleasure to be around. We were especially impressed with his English and how accommodating he was to our needs. Regarding the tour setup, I corresponded with Moshde prior to the trip for a few weeks figuring out the most appropriate tour for us. She was always very responsive. I especially liked that she was thorough and took the time to contact us the day of the tour to ensure everything was as planned. We can't recommend this company enough! You will not regret the tour services they offer.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Myrna G
minneapolis
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Another Great Experience”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I just returned from 4 days in Mexico City with a friend where we used this service. We had a guide and driver one day and just a driver the other day. I first used this service two years ago for a trip with my husband and sons. They are a great group of people, both personable and knowledgeable. Even if you are a seasoned traveller undaunted by the complexity of Mexico City you will benefit from a day with them. We saw and did so much more with them that we ever could have on our own. Our guide Sergio was very knowledgeable, he has lived in the city his whole life so he was able to answer all our questions and with him we got insight into daily life there.

Driving there is not for the faint of heart and our driver was very good, knew shortcuts and tackled the traffic like a pro. They took us by foot, metro and taxi, whatever you want. You will not be disappointed.

Visited September 2012