“A Home in Mexico City”

Hostal B&B Dos Fridas y Diego
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We have stayed at Hostal B&B Dos Fridas y Diego twice now, and have absolutely loved it both times. The staff is welcoming and the hostel is stylish and spotless. Our favorite part are the tasty breakfasts served in the garden each morning. It is a B&B at a hostal price, and I am sure we will be back again!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 9, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here 2 nights.

The room was lovely and clean, safe, secure, in a good location, nicely decorated with restored furniture and artsy pictures of Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera. It is also located within easy reach of metro stops, restaurants and tourist areas.

The staff were really attentive and arrange a couple of excursions for us, unfortunately my girlfriend was ill, so stayed in while I went out sightseeing. I cannot fault the staff though who made sure she was looked after and helped to order some food for her which she was allowed to eat in our room.

Breakfast was included and basically you could have different items each day, we had eggs, bread, yogurt and fruit.

The Manager arrange a reasonable priced taxi to take us to the airport and we were very happy with our stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I did stay at Dos Fridas y Diego for a period of 5 nights in two different rooms upstairs. Both were large and clean, wi-fi accessible. Shared bathrooms were clean and very spacious, hot water was almost always available, apart from one time, when there were quite a few guys having shower one after another. Complimentary breakfast was ok (no tea, only coffee served). On site kitchen facilities allow to make your own food, which is always good, if you like to cook for yourself. The best hostel feature, which was the most important for me, was location, plenty of restaurants, bars, shops, etc. All in all, I did enjoy Fridas y Diego and I can reccommend it to other travellers.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

I'm not sure why this is the number 1 hostel in Mexico City. The others must be pretty bad. Our room smelt damp and moldy and could've been cleaner. It's pretty noisy despite being on a quiet street. They don't provide a laundry service as advertised on the net. On the positive side, it's in a good location and the breakfast was tasty.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Dos Fridas for a couple of days...the rooms and the bathrooms are clean. The staff is friendly and the building is located in a safe area (less than a block away from the US Embassy)
The olnly bad things I can say is that the price is a bit expensive...I saw the sign that was $450 in a private room for 2 persons...and I was charged $500 pesos...I think the have to change the sign or the price! And another thing is that the street where it's located is very small and hard to find by the taxi driver...and it is like the service street for the Sheraton Hotel! But we had a great overall experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stayed at Dos Fridas y Diego recently for my birthday during my first trip to Mexico. I spent 9 days in Mexico City, and Dos Fridas y Diego added a positive aspect to my trip. The staff were friendly and personable, and provided us tips about what to do and which buses to catch. Claudia and Julio were sweet, ensuring our rooms were clean, breakfast was ready by 9 a.m., and created a kind and safe atmosphere. Anna, one of the owners, was awesome, as she grew up in the area and was able to give some good ideas on what to do in her city.

As someone who does not enjoy staying in hotels (I never feel satisfied by the impersonal surroundings, and dislike air conditioning and stale air) I felt Dos Fridas y Diego was the perfect alternative. It has bright colorful walls, cute spacious rooms, and big windows that let in lots of light and air. It is in a safe area, right next to a taxi stop in front of the Embassy, and close to Reforma Street, where you can catch buses and taxis, and walk to Insurgentes. Even two weeks after my stay there, I have happy flashbacks of my adventures in Mexico City and waking up in my room with the cool Frida Kahlo painting on the walls watching over me :) I enjoyed being a part of the hostel for a week, and would like to go back there on my next trip to D.F.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 7, 2013

A family owned Hostel, very clean, warm and friendly. The homemade breakfast is really good. Located in a nice and safe area. Perfect place to stay in Mexico when travelling by your self!! They also have private rooms if you are a couple or a family.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo