“Good service but noisy nights”

Hostal B&B Dos Fridas y Diego
“Good service but noisy nights”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Great breakfast, kitchen service and kind people. Be careful if you do the reservation by internet, we choose a room with bathroom but had none and had to pay the same anyway.
Also, we had a hard time trying to sleep at night with the screechy doors and noisy neighborhood. The door bell was pretty loud too

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
oxford UK
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed here for a short visit to Mexico City. The street the hostel is on has a lot of cafes and restaurants, especially at night, but it is not a party street. It is about a 20 min walk to my favorite artsy neighborhood, Condesa. It felt very safe and the staff were helpful, friendly, and responsive. The decor is nicely done and they do a simple cooked breakfast every morning. The wifi works well throughout the hostel. I found this was a good place to meet people who were on vacation but perhaps not the typical partying backpackers. This is a great place to stop to get oriented to Mexico and get tips on where to go/what to do. I would say the only downside was it was not sparkling clean (bathroom and towels). That said, I am admittedly picky on cleanliness. Most people would probably be very happy, especially for this price. I have stayed in many hostels in my own backpacking days and this is on the high end of cleanliness for sure, by hostel standards. I would stay again. Be warned they only take cash. There are ATMs nearby.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed in the Rio Tigris building of the hotel as the road is slightly quieter than the main building on Rio Lerma. From the pictures it seems the Lerma building has a bit more character than Tigris. Nevertheless, the room was big, clean but basic - as was the shared bathroom.
Breakfast was also very good - home cooked and something different each day.

The reason I'm only giving three stars is the staff spoke absolutely no English - and the location could be better. I know this sounds terrible and uncultured but my Spanish is very limited and communication regarding money was slow and involved a lot of hand gestures and writing things down. I would highly recommend you speak some good Spanish if you stay here.

The location isn't great. The area's v safe but it's about 15 minutes walk to the nearest metro station and another 15 minutes from there to the Zocalo. But it was nice to see parts of the Zona Rosa which we probably wouldn't have seen should we have stayed in the centre.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NJ26
Sydney
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed here on and off for about 2 weeks in total, we loved the place and really enjoyed the breakfasts.

Great kitchen facilities and the ppl running it were top notch and helped us with anything we needed!

Woud definately reccommend it for couples etc.

• Stayed October 2012
Belgium
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed in this B&B for the weekend and I enjoyed it 100%. Breakfast was very nice, bathroom facilities clean and the people very sweet, I felt comfortable in the neighborhood, everything is in walking distance. I cant imagine I could have stayed in a better place than Dos Fridas y Diego. The owner of the hostel, together with her father, are sweet people. They try to make you feel like home (and it works!!). Thank you for the hospitality and all chats!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed at Dos Fridas for 4 nights, and have booked another 3 nights becuase it is a great place & surprisingly affordable.
The hosts here are super generous and very sweet. From the moment we arrived they expressed their interest in our stay by providing a various agendas for our stay. They were always open for questions about this great city. They went above and beyond to accomodate some of our unique needs, they even asked if we had any dietary needs - that is great!
The location is great and super close to great restaurants, sites and transportation to access all of the city.
The rooms are clean, comfortable and charming. The shared bathrooms are super clean.
I wouldnt hesitate to stay here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Victor C
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My first four nights spent at Hostal B&B Dos Fridas y Diego, welcoming and friendly staff made the stay very enjoyable. Felt like being at home. Good central location in Mexico city with easy walk to everything including Centro Historico (if you are fit). We stayed in a very comfortable double room. The amenities very clean and with lots of hot water. Beautiful presentation, would recommend to anyone. Made my visit special. Home cooked breakfast was different every day, and caters to anyone's palate.Thanks to Ana and her staff, I would come back in a heartbeat. Very grateful for the computer access and free Wifi available, was able to connect back home. A great holiday!

Room Tip: Rooms at rear are quieter if you are a light sleeper.