“Good quality Mexican local food. Inexpensive”

La casa de Tono Zona Rosa
Ranked #15 of 4,236 Restaurants in Mexico City
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin
Good for: Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Reforma / Zona Rosa
Veigne, France
“Good quality Mexican local food. Inexpensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2014

La Casa de Tono is not a typical tourist restaurant (I was the only one!). The place was packed and the service very efficient. If you want to sample typical Mexican style dishes in a local environment, this is a good place to go. I tried the "Pozole", a very traditional dish - it was very tasty.

Visited August 2014

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
“Very popular!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

We watched as a stream of locals queued to get in - must be pretty good, we thought. The door attendant checked via radio, and yes, we were good for a table!
Well it's OK I suppose, nothing particularly outstanding. We tried the Pozole and found it fairly bland. Kids had flautas (OK, bit dry, again uninspiring) and tacos de cochinita (bit more to my taste). It's a safe and good value option, but the decor and service made it feel like a fast food chain.

• Visited May 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great Pozole, Fast Service, Polite Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2014

I have to recommend this restaurant for anyone looking to eat authentic Mexican food and experience a local atmosphere. The place was packed and so we waited around 30 minutes for a table, but once we ordered, our food was on our table in no time. We never felt rush, we ate our food and the staff always asked if we needed anything. I had a pozole chico and decided to try their flautas. The pozole was really good, you get your sides of tostadas, lemons and choice of 3 types of hot sauces. The flautas were massive. The order came with 3 and we had chicken, potato and meat. They were really good, but I liked my pozole better which I highly recommend.
The place is clean, food is delicious, very inexpensive and I definitely will go back there next time we stay in the area.
I highly recommend it.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank dandelion_mx
Riverside, California
“Very Nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

Fast service, friendly staff great food quality. Love their Chicken Posole and their Requeson Quesadilla MUST try. Their Arroz con leche super good! Visited twice in a week so good!!

Visited April 2014
“It's fine, but don't believe the hype...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

I'm not sure why this place is so well reviewed. It is fine, but not particularly memorable. The food was average. The service was fast, but not terribly friendly or accurate. I ordered the famous pozole with beef, but was served chicken instead. Maybe the beef would have been better, but the chicken was rather underwhelming. The quesadilla de queso was tasty, but was swimming in a pool of grease.

On a positive note, the location is convenient and it is nice that it is open very late. The prices are very good, as well.

• Visited April 2014