“Poor food”

Neighborhood: Polanco
anywhere
“Poor food”
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

Went with friends to have a good meal and ordered the rib eye burger. Burger king serves better burgers and they dont cost 13 usd. Coming to the dessert it turned out that most of the options werent available. Imagine, it was a Friday night! The apfelstrudel was a laugh. All 'n all I will not go back there and would certainly not recommend.

2 Thank PELOWELOMAN

Mexico City, Mexico
“For some reason is always almost empty”
Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

Don't waste your time and money. Service is terrible. They bring you toasts for the salmon when you have finished. If you order a sandwich expect to receive just something of the sandwich. We asked for white wine on the glass and said they haven't. 20 Mins later they served a glass of white wine to the table besides. I could still tell you more but I would be wasting more time on this place! Avoid it.

Palm Beach
“Disappointing with poor service and mediocre food”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Not worth more words. Look for a better restaurant. Ambiance does not make up for medicore food in this upscale deli style restaurant in Polanco.

Ordered a Roast Beef sandwich and got Corned Beef, which the manager and chef insisted was Roast Beef. Now, since they are in the center of the Orthodox Jewish community in Polanco, the least you would expect is they would be able to seek the advice of those in the know, right?.

Finally the manager came back and "apologized" after he Google it and discovered he was wrong. I guess he did not know the cardinal rule in restaurants, "The customer is always right." which in this case was true.

Visited August 2012
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
“Wonderful server -- clear the owners do not know what they are doing ...”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Where to start ... first to disclose I was a former restaurant critic and am now a restauranteur ... so details and knowledge are important to me, whether it be a taco stand, an upscale bistro or a 5 star dining experience ... so here we go ...

This could be an excellent upscale bistro deli -- they have the staff, the decor, the products -- I guess they have pseudo sophisticated, nuevo rich owners, who are copying a concept from NY and have no clue what they are doing.

We ordered a classic margarita on the rocks, explained to the waiter how we wished it made with the traditional Mexican recipe and, as always in most restaurants other than our own, the bartender made it his way -- this time with horrible house tequila and squirt and/or soda water -- so very wrong. So my frustrated, patient, Mexican husband goes to the bartender and instructs ... no soda water, no horrible house tequila --- and finally we got a drinkable margarita. So, not off to a good start, I would say.

Next was a Beet Salad with a Raspberry dressing. This was actually wonderful -- a little to sweet for my taste, the chef in the family, so I asked for Dijon mustard|, mixed it into my salad, and it was fantastic.

Then Roast Beef with Provolone Panini -- now how could that go wrong when we are in Polanco, a center for the wealthy Orthodox Jewish community, wealthy Mexicans, famous singers and actors, which even has a Kosher taco stand nearby and quality Kosher meats distributors one block away? Well, in this restaurant they think that Roast Beef is Corned Beef -- since we were served a Corned Beef sandwich, which was not on the menu. The sandwich was quite tasty, but if you ordered a Roast Beef sandwich, you expect to get ROAST BEEF, right? The owners and the chef should know the difference between Corned Beef and Roast Beef ... ignorance is not bliss in this case!

Since we enjoyed our Corned Beef Sandwiches that were not on the menu as a selection, we decided to share a dessert .. need I say more .. a pear tart and I asked for an Expresso Cortado, since I have given up asking for Cappuchino (which in almost everywhere in Mexico is truly a Leche with Expresso, no even Cafe con Leche).

What did we get? Disappointment. The arrogant bartender sent out an expresso only and then our wonderful waiter brought me hot milk foam so I could make it cortado -- and I explained to him what that was. He truly was interested and continue to ask me more questions so he could learn more about food and presentations ... a true gentleman.

Anyway, I digress. The pear tart looked beautiful and it is one I like very much, usually. Oops, you must know what is coming ... unfortunately it was a sugar tart, a white over-processed white sugar tart, and one could not taste anything but the white over processed sugar. Our poor little pears had been waterboarded in sugar and did not survive.

So, when we got our bill my husband asked to talk with the owner. As usuall, it took quite a while for him to appear ... they usually have to get out of the FB account chats before they can bother to attend a client ... and reluctantly came to the table. At that point, we knew he had researched the difference between Corn Beef and Roast Beef on google, since our waiter had told us earlier that he had read how different they were.

So, one would think he would approach our table as a postive learning experience ... since we know he had already Googled Corn Beef and Roast Beef ... oh, so wrong. He wanted to explain away the ignorance of those who created and approved the menu. It got so frustrating, I asked to speak to the chef, who we had met earlier that day and was a wonderful, young Mexican chef and I am sure would have been eager to learn. He brought out probably a prep cook, presented him as the Chef ... which I pointed out to him immediately. We know by their uniforms, which positions they hold. Just how un-intelligent can you be? and the manager, who I expect was the Captain of the Waiters or an assistant managerm continued to defend that Corned Beef is the same as Roast Beef.

We gave up, paid our bill, and left .. leaving our waiter a 20% tip for his excellent service and attention to details he could control.

One needs to learn that arrogrance is not sophistication, and the new rich all over the world must believe that they are synomyns. Would we go back? I doubt it. Why accept mediocracy and ignorance? Life is too short.

• Visited August 2012
3 Thank Ajua B
Mexico City, Mexico
“Terrible!”
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Avoid this place! Worst experience in my life. We came on sunday afternoon, the place was completely empty and the waiter said that it was not possible to get the table that we wanted because it was made for four people and we were only two. I will never come back to this place! When I asked to speak to a manager the same waiter went extremely rude and told us to take the table that we wanted. Not wonder why it was the only empty place. Avoid it