“Good standard business hotel”

JW Marriott Hotel Mexico City
Ranked #9 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
“Good standard business hotel”
Reviewed July 16, 2006

As a part of a business trip to Mexico, I stayed at the Marriott as well as the W and the Sheraton Centro Historico.

The Hotel

Modern, slightly souless within easy walking distance of the Anthropological Museum and Zoo.

Rooms are spacious, very comfortable, if slightly dated in parts. The bathroom for me was rather dated, lots of pink marble and gold. The bath is not big enough to sit in so really it is just a shower ensuite.

Bed was very comfortable, linen fine. Water provided in bathroom and bedroom which is a nice touch.

The only thing that annoyed me was that despite being on the 22nd floor I could still hear the infernal pool music, which when you are trying to have a nap after a long flight is not great.

Breakfast was ok, nothing particularly special, an American buffet with a nod to the odd Mexican dish.

If you want to eat well, go out of the hotel and try Aguila y Sol which is superb.

Tour (was part of package)

Interesting trip to Teotihuacan, though we did have to stop for the compulsory souvenir flogging, with the line of these are my friends and their stuff is much better than anyone else's. Guide was ok, did not really do that much guiding, drove us there and then said he could not climb any of the pyramids so we did not see him for another 2 hours. Restaurant at the end of the trip was dreadful and over-priced. Charged the same as Aguila y Sol for microwaved food. My recommendation would be to try and find a tour that only takes you to Teotihuacan, no restaurant or souvenirs included in the day.

Always attentive and helpful. Though a lot of charges did creep onto my bill that should not have been there, including gratuities (which I always leave cash for) in the restaurant. Also the tour that was included as part of the package also appeared on my bill, again these are little things that simply should not happen in a great hotel.

In conclusion, this is a nice enough hotel, but not anything particularly special. I preferred the W next door as it had better service, spa, and rooms that are more to my taste. For those of you who like a good bar, the W bar is much livelier.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank TheSwiss

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Hebrew first
SLC, UT
Reviewed July 15, 2006

We arrived in Mexico City very early in the morning and expected the hotel to tell us to come back at 3:00 to check in--especially since we were staying there on rewards points. But to our surprise they promptly checked us in and escorted us to our clean, comfortable room. The staff here went above and beyond, even delivering aspirin from their gift shop right to our door. Car service can be arranged through the concierge and applied directly to your bill, which made it easy to venture out for dinner.

• Stayed April 2006
1 Thank kschrier
New York, NY
Reviewed June 20, 2006

Just returned from a short trip to Mexico City. Was tagging along with someone on business. We were both surprised at how nice this Marriot is. Far exceded our expectations for a marriot. (didn't get to check tripadvisor prior to leaving). Everything seemed new and well kept up. Most of the staff were bilingual and all were so nice. This hotel is next to other nice hotels, the W and the hotel Nikko. Also the area is nice and you can walk to the museums and zoo (about 15-20 minutes).

I would say that the facilities and service were definitely up there with any Ritz Caltons and Four Seasons out there. The only main difference is maybe the food is not as good as those hotels. Had breakfast in the restaurant as well as with room service and the food was just ok although the service at both the restaurant and room service was great.

There are more car servies than taxis at the hotel. The cars are nicer but much more pricey! (but probably a safer alternative). When we went to dinner the driver (huge SUV) offered to wait, and also gave us a little tour of the cathedral near the main adminstrative center and back to the hotel and it cost about 700 pesos with tip for about 2.5 hours of car and driver.

The group trip to the pyramids arranged by the hotel was a bargain at 350 pesos. The only complaint here is the guide told us not to buy from the walking souvenir vendors whose products he said were schlocky and that he'd take us to a better place with better price. Totally untrue. The place he took us too didn't have the same stuff and was crazy expensive for souvenirs. So if you want great looking inexpensive souvenirs for people back at home, get it from the walking vendors! My biggest regret on my trip !!!!

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank traveloni
London
Reviewed March 14, 2006

I am a little surprised about the rave reviews this hotel gets on tripadvisor and the CN Gold List. What IS exceptional is the quality of staff, who were almost unfailingly kind and helpful over three days. However, much of the hard product leaves a lot to be desired. I expect to find the following items in a suite of a five star hotel: two sinks, a door to the toilet (and usually a second toilet in a separate room), a separate bath and shower cubicle - not a shower above a bath, brand name toiletries, fully working lights, toothbrush and shaving cream among the toiletries, flowers and fresh fruit in my room.

NONE of these are in the suites at the JWM. I was also surprised to find one of the blinds in my room broken so it would not open (still not fixed by day 3) and to have the instructions to the safe made available (so you dont find that the safe is using the combination of the PREVIOUS guest!!). The only bits of hardware that are truly world class are the flowers in the communal areas, the decoration of the corridors and the quality of the changing rooms in the gym. Sadly the rest of this property, quality of staff aside, is simply a four star at best.

I have an additional personal problem with the hotel. I booked a Terrace Suite for $339 because I fancied a terrace (nice outdoor breakfast, quiet drink in the evening watching the sun go down etc). I arrived here on Friday to find .... the Terrace Suite HAS NO TERRACE! I was in the right room because it said Terrace Suite on the door. Reception then told me that calling it a Terrace Suite is simply a marketing term!!! No suites in the hotel have a terrace. A Master Suite, it turns out, is what we would know as a junior suite. The bottom line is that is only a bit smaller than the ´doesnt have a terrace´Terrace Suite, despite the $90 per night plus tax price differential. The hotel eventually reduced the rate on my Terrace Suite to the Master Suite rate of $249 per night.

I should also note that they failed to tell me that I had Club access with my suite, a fact I only discovered by chance on the last night of my stay. I also got a phone call at 12.30pm telling me I had to leave my room or pay for an extra half day, even though my package had a guaranteed 4pm late check-out.

If only the Four Seasons would move to Polanco then life would be easier! As it is, you have to choose between the FS for a genuinely luxurious five star experience, and the JWM for a good quality four star hotel which is in a safe area full of bars, shops and restaurants. Weekend rates are similar, so its up to you!

• Stayed March 2005
5 Thank Robert B
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 27, 2006

We loved this hotel. Our room was exceptionally clean, spacious, and well appointed. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom had a wonderful shower. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. The pool and jacuzzi were clean and uncrowded with ample seating and towels. Our only regret was that we didn't stay longer.

• Stayed February 2006
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Winston-Salem, NC
Reviewed February 8, 2006

Just returned from a brief business trip to Mexico City where I attended a meeting at the Hotel Royal Pedregal (don't bother) and had a couple of days extra to treat myself. The JW Marriott is a treat, set just off the Reforma, across from the National Auditorium, and adjacent to the Polanco area. The hotel sits next to the new W Hotel and just down from the Intercontinental. The hotel building is a lovely pale pink, and the entry is just off a large, airy atrium that houses a nice restaurant (La Griglia) and a few other businesses. This is a very safe and elegant place. The entry to the hotel is almost boutique-like, nice and warm and friendly. The staff is exceptionally inviting. I had all day Saturday and Sunday morning for my "vacation" time. The Marriott offered a "Prehispanic package" that included early check-in/late check-out, $25 USD coupon for the La Griglia restaurant, 2 cocktails at the lobby bar, breakfast in the very nice Primavera restaurant, 30% off the minibar, and best of all, a tour to Teotihuacan for $219 (before taxes and fees). I thought this was very reasonable since the hotel was 4-5 star, and the room was lovely, with windows overlooking town, and a nice marble bathroom. The bed was heavily "linened" and very comfortable with lots of pillows and comforters. Nice turndown service, and the high floor (17) and heavy curtains kept out all noise. The hotel accomodated me with early check-in (about 9 am, but earlier would have been fine), and the breakfast buffet was sensational in a very bright and airy room. The Anthopology Museum (a must-see) is about a 15 minute walk down the Reforma, and the cow statues along the way are a hoot! I spent about 4 hours at the museum Saturday morning (just barely enough time) and got back to the hotel for my 2:00 tour. The bilingual tour guide (Al) was great, and the tour was really private with just 3 other participants. This is the low tourist season, so it would be much busier later in the year, peaking in June/July according to Al. The drive to Teotihuacan was a drag since it took about an hour or more to drive 30 miles because of the famous traffic, but we were in a nice, new air-conditioned van. Teotihuacan itself is one of the great archeological sites of the world. The tour also included a trip to the Shrine of Guadalupe. The tour lasted about 5 hours (would have been about $30 if separate) and we were back by 7:30 pm. I had time for a quick sauna and sit in the outdoor jacuzzi before dinner (the pool/gym/spa areas are superb and included in the cost). Dinner at La Griglia was fine, but I was too tired to really enjoy it. Very reasonable with the $25 USD coupon (about $50 USD with a bottle of wine, another glass of wine, and 3 courses; I took most of the bottle of wine and some resoto with me). Also the free margarita in the lobby bar was a nice touch. Walked all the way down Reforma to the Zocalo the next morning (took about 1.5 hours, but I like to walk). The walk was a very nice way to see the downtown and business area of Mexico City. A very nice and safe experience. The Zocalo is in the Centro Historico, and is an essential part of a visit. The Palace del Belle Artes is also a must for seeing the Diego Rivera murals. The Templo Major (Aztec ruin) is located near the Zocalo. Took a taxi back to the hotel, and had a little time for a swim in the heated pool, jacuzzi, and sauna. Light lunch (leftovers), and then off to the airport. The check-out at the hotel was a little troublesome because of all the perks that came with this package, so check the receipt carefully if there are a lot of add-ons. No problema, though, after I pointed out all the charges. One last free margarita in the bar, then a 30 min drive to the airport (this was Sunday afternoon, so traffic was not a problem; beware during the week and plan accordingly). Overall, a very pleasant hotel with total charges with tax fees, dinner at La Griglia and a couple of beers from the minibar coming to $319. A nice little splurge for me! Loved Mexico City! The W Hotel next door was a little too spartan-looking for me.

• Stayed February 2006
12 Thank Shyyydoggg
Seattle
Reviewed January 23, 2006

A wonderful hotel experience. The service is friendly and attentive,everyone tried to please. There was always follow-up on every request we made.
The rooms are spacious and very clean. The beds are luxurious.
Concierge services were excellent. Good advice on sites and restaurants.
Mexico City has lots to do and this hotel, in a lovely neighborhood, is a perfect base.
Highly recommend this hotel and we are picky!!

• Stayed January 2006