“Great service - but NOT a true luxury hotel”

JW Marriott Hotel Mexico City
Ranked #8 of 307 Hotels in Mexico City
London
“Great service - but NOT a true luxury hotel”
Reviewed March 14, 2006

I am a little surprised about the rave reviews this hotel gets on tripadvisor and the CN Gold List. What IS exceptional is the quality of staff, who were almost unfailingly kind and helpful over three days. However, much of the hard product leaves a lot to be desired. I expect to find the following items in a suite of a five star hotel: two sinks, a door to the toilet (and usually a second toilet in a separate room), a separate bath and shower cubicle - not a shower above a bath, brand name toiletries, fully working lights, toothbrush and shaving cream among the toiletries, flowers and fresh fruit in my room.

NONE of these are in the suites at the JWM. I was also surprised to find one of the blinds in my room broken so it would not open (still not fixed by day 3) and to have the instructions to the safe made available (so you dont find that the safe is using the combination of the PREVIOUS guest!!). The only bits of hardware that are truly world class are the flowers in the communal areas, the decoration of the corridors and the quality of the changing rooms in the gym. Sadly the rest of this property, quality of staff aside, is simply a four star at best.

I have an additional personal problem with the hotel. I booked a Terrace Suite for $339 because I fancied a terrace (nice outdoor breakfast, quiet drink in the evening watching the sun go down etc). I arrived here on Friday to find .... the Terrace Suite HAS NO TERRACE! I was in the right room because it said Terrace Suite on the door. Reception then told me that calling it a Terrace Suite is simply a marketing term!!! No suites in the hotel have a terrace. A Master Suite, it turns out, is what we would know as a junior suite. The bottom line is that is only a bit smaller than the ´doesnt have a terrace´Terrace Suite, despite the $90 per night plus tax price differential. The hotel eventually reduced the rate on my Terrace Suite to the Master Suite rate of $249 per night.

I should also note that they failed to tell me that I had Club access with my suite, a fact I only discovered by chance on the last night of my stay. I also got a phone call at 12.30pm telling me I had to leave my room or pay for an extra half day, even though my package had a guaranteed 4pm late check-out.

If only the Four Seasons would move to Polanco then life would be easier! As it is, you have to choose between the FS for a genuinely luxurious five star experience, and the JWM for a good quality four star hotel which is in a safe area full of bars, shops and restaurants. Weekend rates are similar, so its up to you!

• Stayed March 2005
5 Thank Robert B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Hebrew first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 27, 2006

We loved this hotel. Our room was exceptionally clean, spacious, and well appointed. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom had a wonderful shower. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. The pool and jacuzzi were clean and uncrowded with ample seating and towels. Our only regret was that we didn't stay longer.

• Stayed February 2006
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Winston-Salem, NC
Reviewed February 8, 2006

Just returned from a brief business trip to Mexico City where I attended a meeting at the Hotel Royal Pedregal (don't bother) and had a couple of days extra to treat myself. The JW Marriott is a treat, set just off the Reforma, across from the National Auditorium, and adjacent to the Polanco area. The hotel sits next to the new W Hotel and just down from the Intercontinental. The hotel building is a lovely pale pink, and the entry is just off a large, airy atrium that houses a nice restaurant (La Griglia) and a few other businesses. This is a very safe and elegant place. The entry to the hotel is almost boutique-like, nice and warm and friendly. The staff is exceptionally inviting. I had all day Saturday and Sunday morning for my "vacation" time. The Marriott offered a "Prehispanic package" that included early check-in/late check-out, $25 USD coupon for the La Griglia restaurant, 2 cocktails at the lobby bar, breakfast in the very nice Primavera restaurant, 30% off the minibar, and best of all, a tour to Teotihuacan for $219 (before taxes and fees). I thought this was very reasonable since the hotel was 4-5 star, and the room was lovely, with windows overlooking town, and a nice marble bathroom. The bed was heavily "linened" and very comfortable with lots of pillows and comforters. Nice turndown service, and the high floor (17) and heavy curtains kept out all noise. The hotel accomodated me with early check-in (about 9 am, but earlier would have been fine), and the breakfast buffet was sensational in a very bright and airy room. The Anthopology Museum (a must-see) is about a 15 minute walk down the Reforma, and the cow statues along the way are a hoot! I spent about 4 hours at the museum Saturday morning (just barely enough time) and got back to the hotel for my 2:00 tour. The bilingual tour guide (Al) was great, and the tour was really private with just 3 other participants. This is the low tourist season, so it would be much busier later in the year, peaking in June/July according to Al. The drive to Teotihuacan was a drag since it took about an hour or more to drive 30 miles because of the famous traffic, but we were in a nice, new air-conditioned van. Teotihuacan itself is one of the great archeological sites of the world. The tour also included a trip to the Shrine of Guadalupe. The tour lasted about 5 hours (would have been about $30 if separate) and we were back by 7:30 pm. I had time for a quick sauna and sit in the outdoor jacuzzi before dinner (the pool/gym/spa areas are superb and included in the cost). Dinner at La Griglia was fine, but I was too tired to really enjoy it. Very reasonable with the $25 USD coupon (about $50 USD with a bottle of wine, another glass of wine, and 3 courses; I took most of the bottle of wine and some resoto with me). Also the free margarita in the lobby bar was a nice touch. Walked all the way down Reforma to the Zocalo the next morning (took about 1.5 hours, but I like to walk). The walk was a very nice way to see the downtown and business area of Mexico City. A very nice and safe experience. The Zocalo is in the Centro Historico, and is an essential part of a visit. The Palace del Belle Artes is also a must for seeing the Diego Rivera murals. The Templo Major (Aztec ruin) is located near the Zocalo. Took a taxi back to the hotel, and had a little time for a swim in the heated pool, jacuzzi, and sauna. Light lunch (leftovers), and then off to the airport. The check-out at the hotel was a little troublesome because of all the perks that came with this package, so check the receipt carefully if there are a lot of add-ons. No problema, though, after I pointed out all the charges. One last free margarita in the bar, then a 30 min drive to the airport (this was Sunday afternoon, so traffic was not a problem; beware during the week and plan accordingly). Overall, a very pleasant hotel with total charges with tax fees, dinner at La Griglia and a couple of beers from the minibar coming to $319. A nice little splurge for me! Loved Mexico City! The W Hotel next door was a little too spartan-looking for me.

• Stayed February 2006
12 Thank Shyyydoggg
Seattle
Reviewed January 23, 2006

A wonderful hotel experience. The service is friendly and attentive,everyone tried to please. There was always follow-up on every request we made.
The rooms are spacious and very clean. The beds are luxurious.
Concierge services were excellent. Good advice on sites and restaurants.
Mexico City has lots to do and this hotel, in a lovely neighborhood, is a perfect base.
Highly recommend this hotel and we are picky!!

• Stayed January 2006
5 Thank xoxx
Huntington Beach, CA
Reviewed September 14, 2005

September 12th through 15th 2005 – This was my second stay at the JW Marriott Hotel in Mexico City. I will definitely return to this great hotel.

I arrived early evening and check-in took only a couple of minutes even though part of my stay was paid and part was paid by using Marriott Rewards points. I received my guaranteed room type, king non-smoking and an upgrade to an “end room.” I was very surprised that I was given the exact same room I stayed in two years ago, #1124.

I think one of the benefits of the end rooms (number XX01 and XX24) is that there are three floor to ceiling windows, two in the bedroom and one in the bathroom making the room very light and open. The room was wedge shape which just made it seem large and more interesting than a typical rectangular hotel room.

Since my last stay in October 2003, there was a new and more comfortable king bed with both feather and foam pillows. I think the mattress was about 15” thick and had a down topper that was a couple inches thick also. Every aspect of the bedding was first class. I also appreciated the new ultra comfortable chair and ottoman. The window coverings had also been updated.

The room had a large work desk with good lighting. The hotel offers wireless HS internet access which worked flawlessly. The charge was $US 14.95 per day. My only issue here is that the desk chair matched the room décor and was not as comfortable or functional as an office type chair.

Like most upscale hotels in Mexico, the bathroom was all marble. The bath in my end room was very bright and open due to the large window across from the bath tub. There was a good selection of quality bath amenities and plenty of very thick white towels. There was also a lighted magnifying mirror and a hair dryer. The bathroom was kept stocked with complimentary bottled water.

The closet had a motion detector so that the light went on when you opened the door. Inside of the closet was an electronic safe, a bureau with four drawers, and a very thick JW Marriott robe.

The TV system had also been updated since my last stay. There was about an even mixture of English and Spanish stations as well as pay-per-view movies. Located just below the TV was dry bar with full bottles of premium liquor for purchase (about $44 US each). Below that was a refrigerated mini bar and a CD player.

Lighting in the room was excellent and included a ceiling light fixture. The door had both a dead bolt and a very ingenious chain lock that I have never seen before. It is built into the door frame and connects to the door with the push of a button.

The room and bathroom were spotless with one exception. There were two small black stains on the carpet. I mentioned them when I checked out and expect they were removed. The housekeeping was excellent during my stay.

The View from my room in the front of the hotel of Chapultapec park was great. The hotel is located virtually in the park within walking distance of the museum, zoo, castle, and National Auditorium. The area that the hotel is located in is probably the nicest in Mexico City. There are many upscale restaurants and shops within a few blocks of the Marriott.

Security at the hotel is obvious and appears to be excellent. There were always several of hotel employees on hand outside and inside the lobby which gave me a sense of security. While none were dressed as guards, it was obvious they watched what went on carefully.

I parked my rental car at the hotel and parking was $100 pesos (about $10) per day. The valet service was fast, generally delivering the car in 2-3 minutes. Traffic in Mexico City is pretty bad, but the hotel is pretty easy to get to being a few blocks off Circuito Interrior. From the airport I clocked 18 KM in about 30 minutes.

The hotel has a nice gift shop which I used because I forgot my toothbrush and toothpaste. Prices seemed to be reasonable. There is also an ATM one level down (E1) that accepted my US Bank card and dispensed peso bills.

I had access to the Concierge Lounge on the 19th floor and used it for breakfast each morning. The lounge is large and comfortable. The lounge staff seemed anxious to help with anything. The continental breakfast was better than some that I have seen in restaurants. There was plenty of fresh fruit, cereals, bakery goods (rolls, muffins, bagels) and always a hot entrée. The coffee was excellent and the juices were fresh. The evening buffet also had a hot entrée as well as a good selection of cold meats, cheeses, fruits, and deserts.

The health club is located on the 7th floor. As you enter there are 5 or 6 treadmills, each with an LCD TV to help pass the time. Down a short hall are the massage and treatment rooms. At the back is the exercise room with machines and free weights. The outdoor pool is just outside of the health club. There is also a whirlpool spa. I did not use the facilities, but there were plenty of thick towels, and some complimentary fruit and refreshments.

I had dinner with a business associate at Pergamino, one of the hotel restaurants. I believe it is the hotel’s more casual restaurant. The food and service were excellent. We both had steaks which were priced about $20 U.S. ala carte. With soup and a glass of wine each, along with our steaks the bill came to about $75 U.S. including taxes and tip.

The JW Marriott Mexico City is a beautiful hotel. Every aspect of the service was outstanding including the front desk, bell staff, restaurant and lounge associates. The best recommendation that I can give it is that I plan on returning.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
13 Thank LakersFan
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed September 13, 2005

I recently came back from a 3 night stay in Mexico City and enjoyed the JW Marriott. I stayed in a Junior Suite (Room 2001) for USD$375 per Night and the room was fantastic with a great view and very spacious. The Hotel and the service phenomenal. Had access to the Executive Lounge with daily breakfast and food presentation services, where everyone was very courteous. I was very much impressed to see Mr.Leal (Hotel Manager) working with the staff. It caught my attention that instead of being behind a desk in the executive offices, he was working with some of the staff members on how to provide better service to the guests. I also ate at La Caglia, great restaurant to eat in, (Mediterranean Grill) as well as Thai House at the hotel Lobby
The hotel is very well located in the Polanco area, right next to the W Hotel and to the Intercontinental Presidente Hotel, and very very close to the Nikko Hotel in Mexico city, these are definitely some of the top four hotels in Mexico City, therefore you have a great selection of restaurants and bars at walking distance from the JW Marriott.

The hotel is next to Chapultepec Park and across the street from the Auditiorio Nacional (National Auditorium) where major concerts are held in Mexico City, and even though you are in the heart of a 23 million metropoli and very close to everything you don't feel like you are staying in a big city, I would compare staying at this hotel like staying in one New York City hotel overlooking to Central Park. Lots of green from your room, and very peaceful on the 20th floor.

The room was very nicely appointed with very rich and luxurious furniture and marble bathrooms. But above all, the service was simply OUTSTANDING !!!

Thanks JW Marriott Mexico City for such a great stay.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
5 Thank cienfuegos
galveston, texas
Reviewed June 29, 2005

We just returned from a five day vacation in Mexico City. The JW Marriott in Mexico City, our hotel, was sensational, possibly the best hotel I have ever stayed in. Flowers everywhere. Lovely rooms. Great amenities. And the service was "the best ever". The staff knew our names after 24 hours! Very secure, also. The food at LaGriglia was excellent. What a place!

• Stayed June 2005