“Perfect Location”
Review of Zocalo Central

Zocalo Central
Ranked #14 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed September 14, 2008

Perfect location just in front of the zocalo, beautiful view from the terrace. Room spotless, comfortable and well furnished.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Vally81

Reviewed August 6, 2008

I was here for a one week conference and was assigned this hotel. It is a Holiday Inn. The beds are uncomfortable, the linens are poor, and the pillows tolerable. The comforter slides off the bed while you sleep. The rooms are noisy, since you are next to Zocola square. The staff is OK but just do there job and do not go out of their way to help you. For instance, my room was not cleaned well; i was to receive a fed-ex package and they were no help in locating it (I had to call fed-ex), my laundry showed up at my hotel room at 10:30 PM when I had the privacy on. The only merit is the location to Temple Mayor, shopping, and restaurants (there is a McDonalds and 7-Eleven next door). The restaurant at the hotel for breakfast was fine. It has a great view of the square and service was good. I would stay elsewhere like the Sheraton Historico or Four Seasons next time.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank MarianaG
Reviewed August 2, 2008

If you're a history and culture buff, then Holiday Inn Zocalo in Mexico City will be a hit for you. Located at the corner of 5 de Mayo, one of the streets surrounding that great square called the Zocalo, you will be near the Metropolitan Cathedral, the National Government Building, the Mexico City Government Building, and some archeological finds like the Templo Mayor within walking distance.
We arrived at about 10 pm on a Thursday. When the reception clerk couldn't understand us, the English speaking Mr. Carlos Mata was called to help us. We were shown to our room with a double bed and 3 pillows. The bathroom has a good hot and cold shower which was easy to adjust to the right temperature. Bathroom amenities incuded 3 big towels, three hand towels, three small towels with 1 bath robe, plus the usual soap, shampoo and conditioner small bottles. Surprise! there was a small can of shoe polish, interesting, isn't it? The room was equipped with a personally controlled airconditioner (which was a big bonus since we can decide when we want it cold or warm inside the room).

Breakfast is more than sufficient with the buffet table laden with fruits, fruit juices, french toast, pancakes, Mexican breakfast staples. There was a corner to order eggs as you like it, sunny side up or scrambled, with a lovely senorita cooking on the spot for you. Endless coffee refills as you wanted. But the best part is the view of the whole Zocalo square ...where the 8:00 ritual of flag raising is done. You have to see it and feel the Mexican spriri of pride as a retinue of soldiers emerge from the National Government building, complete with a brass band, then raise the biggest flag I have seen at the middle of the square.

The hotel staff is another wonderful thing. If you're ever booked there, look for Mr. Daniel Aguilar at the Concierge's table. He speaks very good English and is a wealth of information on where to go, what to do, and is a big help on your travel needs. He was a big help to us when we were anxiously waiting for our tour guide, approaching us without our even asking and "taking charge" of the situation. Very friendly man, this Daniel.

Mr. Carlos Mata was also a big help especially when we found out our reservation for our flight to Vancouver had been cancelled. He called up Mexicana and arranged eveything for us.

The best thing though is the price. Our travel agency was able to get us a room for 6 nights, with buffet breakfast, transfers to and from the airport, half-day city tour, tour to the Basilica and the Teotihuacan pyramids and the Xochimilco floating gardens for only US$590 per person.

Thumbs up for this hotel!

Stayed: July 2008
5  Thank maryval
Reviewed June 23, 2008

I was supposed to arrive at 7.30 PM. I remember when I arrived at 2:35 AM (because my American Airlines flight got delayed) . The check in staff asked me why did I check in that time. When I replied it was a flight delay, they immediately gave me everything (room card key, breakfast coupons and helped me with my luggage). When I reached my room, I gave a tip to the employee, but he said it wasn't necessary. My room got everything, even a jacuzzi (I did not expected it). During my stay, all staff were friendly and courteous. The hotel is near many stores and it is quite interesting because you can hear and see the Mexican army raising the national flag at 6AM and lowering it at 6PM. I'm likely to return to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
5  Thank darthvaderpr
Reviewed June 15, 2008

We spent seven nights in Acapulco and took a bus to Mexico City for nine nights. The Holiday Inn Zocalo was my first selection as our hotel. I made the reservations with the free Holiday Inn 800 number.

The location is perfect. Everything anyone would need is within walking distance. For example, the post office is just around the corner. The subway stop is in the zocalo square. If you like fast food, McDonald's is a few doors from the hotel. And, there are various restaurants and bakeries all around the area. The national pawn shop is across the side street, and there are venders throughout the area.

The maid service was very, very good and the front desk helpful. Above all, the bell boys were outstanding. English is not generally spoken, but Rosario, David, and Carlos knew enough English to answer all our questions and assist us with directions and locations.

There is very much activity in this area, especially on the weekends. It can get noisy, but it is also very enjoyable and entertaining. There is much history, and this hotel is located right in the middle of the historical area.

We did not take cabs, but used the subway all the time. The fare was 20-cents. Sometimes it was crowded and other times not...just like NYC. Many of the tour books advise you to take a cab from your hotel. It's less complicated and much cooler. We had no problem with the metro/subway, but we also did not stand around looking like schmuck tourists trying to figure out directions on a map. There is security throughout the metro stations. They are clean and well maintained.

Since the government buildings and the national cathedral are in the zocalo area, there were police and security everywhere. They were helpful and courteous.

The pyramids - We took a metro to the north autobus terminal and took a modern air-conditioned bus (for 30 pesos $3.00 ) to the pyramids....
left at 11 a.m. and arrived at the pyramids at noon. If you climb to the top of the pyramid of the sun, be sure to touch the silver spot at the very top that marks the middle of the pyramid. The silver spot is approximately the size of a 50-cent piece. We caught another bus back to our hotel by the pyramid of the moon. The cost was a little cheaper.

Chapultepec Park - We went to the park on the weekend when all the venders and the local people gather at the park.

The Basilica of the Virgin of Guadalupe - We took a metro which stops approximately two-three blocks from the basilica. There are venders everywhere except on the church grounds.

We visited many more sights and the hotel staff was very helpful in explaining the meaning of customs and traditions.

All in all, it was a perfect location to a perfect trip.

• Stayed: June 2008
3  Thank GCTourist
Reviewed May 8, 2008

This hotel has one thing going for it: location, location, location. You are literally on a corner of Zocalo Square, and have access to many different things within a few blocks. The rooms are a little small compared to American standards, but are very nice. Our room had a good safe, complimentary bottled water (do NOT drink water unless you know it is bottled/filtered), and a nice little TV with cable, most of the channels in Spanish, obviously, but you do get a few channels in English with Spanish subtitles too. However, when staying in this hotel, you are so close to so many things, such as Zocalo Square, the Jewelry District, Palacio Nacional, Torre LatinoAmerica, Templo Mayor, Placio de Bellas Artes, Alameda, and the Grand Cathedral across the street, that you should never have to turn the TV on!!
The staff is beyond courteous, and goes out of its way to do whatever you need it to do. Valet parking is free, if you do drive (recommended if you are staying more than a few days and plan to visit sites outside of the city), and they treat your vehicle like it was their own. The housekeeping staff does a great job of making sure the room is immaculate. For what its worth, I booked the room online, using my AAA discount, and you are supposed to show your card during check-in, but I was never asked for it, and it was about $20/cheaper than the regular rate.
They do have two computers available down in the lobby area with internet connection, but you are limited to about 30 minutes, and then they begin to time and charge you. The hotel does have WiFi, but I had problems connecting, because of poor signal quality. However, I did connect through a different free network, no problem.
The view from the restaurant hotel was AMAZING. The food and service was pathetic. We were seated, and coffee was brought to us. We sat for another 10 minutes before we asked someone if we could just start serving ourselves at the buffet, or if there was a menu. We were told someone would be with us…and that took another 5 minutes. I had two cups of coffee before I was told I could use the buffet. The food at the buffet….lets just say, go down the street and try some other places. For the amount you are spending, you can get MUCH better food cheaper.
It’s a gamble, but if you want to save money………it is cheaper to book the room from inside Mexico than in the US. The same room that cost me $79/night, someone else who walked up and got the room for 500 pesos, or about $50/night. You can try to book for one night, then extend the rest while there, or even just try walking-in and getting a room. Either way, you will be happy in this hotel. Its not like the typical Holiday Inn you would think of in the US, but it definitely is a nice hotel in an antique building that is well worth the cost based on location alone. They hotel staff watches the front door at all hours, making sure no vagrants come in, and there is police every 200 ft or so in the enter Centro Historico. You cannot go wrong here.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank djsassan
Reviewed May 2, 2008

Stayed here for a week during 28Aor08 to 3May08.
Overall this hotel is very good value. The location is unbeatable as you can walk to everywhere within 10 mins.

During my stay the lobby bar was being renovated and the restaurant bar had no atmosphere. The food is okay, not excellent but just average. Service is below average. That said, there's no need to stay in the hotel for meals as there are some excellent restaurants in the vicinity. I highly recommend the famous Cafe Tacuba as well as the excellent El Vegetariano on Filomeno Mata (about 5 mins walk).

Within a short walk are the old temples (Templo Mayor) as well as several old cathedrals. The old city has wonderful architecture and great boutique restaurants.

If you crave the nightlife, Polanco has a lot to offer and is only 12-15 mins by taxi.

I did not feel any concerns walking around by myself at night (sometimes as late as 1 am!). There are people around at all hours and also there are lots of police everywhere.

Tip: If you don't like the noise then ask for an inside room.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business