“Great tour, good deal”

Eat Mexico Culinary Tours
Ranked #1 of 33 Food & Drink in Mexico City
More attraction details
Owner description: Eat Mexico offers small, private food tours of Mexico City. Want to taste the best tacos or street food, or explore Mexican markets? We'll show you the way!
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great tour, good deal”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We had a great experience with Eat Mexico tour. Being fortunate enough to catch an introductory "discount fee" for a new tour guide made it definitely worth every penny. In addition, we had a private tour, which was an added bonus. Our guide was knowledgeable and took us to amazing places that we would not have found on our own. Also, the Eat Mexico staff was super responsive and service extremely personal. We really appreciated their effort. I do agree with some of the reviewers that if we would have paid the full price, it would be a little on the expensive side though. But special service, special places and all the personal touches come with a prize tag. Definitely the best tour we did in Mexico.

Visited May 2014

Hong Kong, China
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Tasty but expect to pay through the nose”
Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

I'm conflicted. But the tour is excellent. Very expensive. I don't want to say the tour was worth it because I still feel I was had....~$90 US dollars per person for a 3.5 hour tour is expensive. The food is mostly included in sample sizes which is really enough because by the end of the tour you are so so so full of food but it all adds up to a sum total of US$8 each. The guides take you on a tour around the centre of Mexico City while you eat. I'm a big advocate for foodie tours but hadn't thought it was worth $90US. Might have thought $50US was enough considering each of the 10 dishes we ate/drank were less than a dollar each - that margin would still have been super generous but $90 feels a bit greedy. That said- you are a captive audience. This is the best of any of the trips that are on offer. I recommend it because I would never have found the places they have but then again...I still feel the prices are way too high.

1 Thank Hongkongfoodie2014
Lesley T, Owner at Eat Mexico Culinary Tours, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Hi there: I'm sorry you didn't feel like you received a good value on your tour. You're right that the food prices are low compared to the cost of the tour. However, as we explain in the FAQ section on our website, we set our pricing ($85 USD a person for two people) for two reasons: our group size (this is not a high-volume tour; most groups are 3 to 4 people at most), and the fact that we pay our guides a living wage in which they can support themselves and their families in Mexico. I wish I could offer you the tour for $50 a person, but the only way to do that would be to either pay our guides less money, or open up our volume to 10+ people. The former I'm ethically opposed to and the latter I feel takes away from the experience of eating on the street with a local. All of that said, we strive to have satisfied customers, and I am happy to reimburse you for the amount that you feel you overpaid. Please email me at lesley@eatmexico.com with the amount and I will process a partial refund. Thanks.
Vancouver
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Late Night Mezcal and Tacos Tour”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

I did the late night tour with Arturo (Paco was our driver) and had a great night. I asked to visit a pulqueria, as I was interested in tasting pulque--Arturo was really accommodating and took me to a classic pulqueria and explained the drink's history and how it's made. We also did a mescal tasting and hit a couple of really good taco stands--places I would never have found on my own, and both were delicious. All in all, highly recommended tour.

Visited July 2014
Pittsburgh
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Explore off the beaten track”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

We took two Eat Mexico tours on this trip. Our guide was Paco (short for Francisco). We took the Late Night Taco's and Mezcal tour (substituting hot chocolate for Mezcal since we were a family of four), and the markets tour. We had a fabulous time.

1. We love to walk everywhere when we visit cities. We will, as a family, typically march the full length and breadth of a city. Invariably we want to eat the street food that we see; it looks great, smells great, and is generally dirt cheap--it is unfortunately not always safe. Eat Mexico tours lets us try the food that we often can only look and smell. The food we sampled was fantastic.

2. I believe that you can learn a lot about a culture based on what the culture eats. You generally wont find the sort of food that defines a culture in the high end hotel foods (I suppose you get to know a small slice of the culture). Street foods particularly give a visitor a sense of what that place is all about and these tours are great for that.

3. Paco, our guide was great. Entertaining, opinionated and passionate about food.

I can see myself doing another Eat Mexico tour next time I come...and if it is without kids, I will skip the hot chocolate and go for the Mezcal.

20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Fantastic, AGAIN!”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

My girlfriend and I took this tour two years ago & were anxious to share it with our husbands. The tour did not disappoint. Our guide, Roberto was knowledgeable and fun. The Sunday open market was delight; a delightful mixture of colors, sounds and smells. My husband commented on the friendliness of all the vendors we encountered on this tour.
Leslie and her team provide great customer service. I have no reservations about recommending this tour. Next time taking these folks up on Puebla tour..yum!