“Fantastic stay from A to Z”
Review of Las Alcobas

Las Alcobas
Ranked #2 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed February 16, 2011

Fabulous boutique luxury hotel tucked away ( almost hidden) on the "chic" luxury avenue of Mexico City. The staff could not be more accommodating- I was there for 1 night attending a family wedding. My flight was delayed and I had about 1 hour to get ready. Upon check in they asked if they could draw me a bath to relax before I headed out for my event and even gave me about 6 different specialty soaps to choose from! As I was being escorted to my room, I was offered artisanal cookies and a traditional Mexican beverage. I needed a hairdresser and make up person and they immediately arranged for someone to come to my room...I even needed bobby pins and off they went to get them for me! The mini bar has beverages and snacks included in the rate which is nice. The snacks and sweets they offer are beautifully packaged and yummy. There are two restaurants and their spa/fitness center has all you need. I can go on.....
A MUST go when in Mexico City!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Las Alcobas

Reviewed February 6, 2011

While on business in Mexico I have traditionally stayed at another 5 star hotel at double the price. I can say that Las Alcobas is in almost every way just as good. The bed is excellent - and I mean really really excellent. The room is comfortable and has a view. The service is friendly and punctual and the breakfeast is delicious. The neighborhood is pleasant and you can safely go for a stroll. The only improvement this hotel can make is to have a larger gym (1 treadmill, 1 cross trainer). I can recommend the SPA with the Obsidian hot stone massage.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 27, 2011

OK - The hotel offers a martha ortiz breakfast special online. I called for this package. When my wife and I went for breakfast, we were told that anything other than continental breakfast was extra. We were in a bit of a hurry so there no point in arguing and service was slow as can be.

So I ended up paying more than rack rate and did not get the meal that had been advertised. If you have no budget / are on expense account, fine, if you don't mind being taken for a few dollars then this hotel is for you.

No Gracias.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
10  Thank mdlgto
Reviewed January 4, 2011

Wow! I stayed at Las Alcobas with 2 friends at the beginning of December and was stunned. What a fabulous place! Mexico DF gets bad press for being dangerous and dirty but Las Alcobas will change your mind. It is in a great location, with great shops, bars and restaurants moments away. The hotel itself is urban boutique chic with attention to every detail.....being shown to our room by our personal butler, high tech details explained, beautiful handmade soaps and candies, a free soft drink mini bar, beautiful furnishing and fixtures, helpful and informative staff, free internet and the most comfirtable bed I have ever, ever slept in.
We met the GM several times during our stay and the staff could not have been more friendly or helpful. Would have loved a small bar next to lobby, every girl needs a Martini before she steps out....but I underdstand this is being considered.
Could have stayed at the nearby W for less but think the intimacy and details are worth the extra money.
Make sure you visit San Angel on a market day and do a long lunch at Piegari, stunning. Fallen in love with Mexico City and will be back!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
5  Thank Queenpugh
Reviewed January 3, 2011

Eines der besten Hotels in denen ich je war. Und ich bin eher der kritische Typ.

This is hands down one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. It is expensive, true, but I felt I got more than 100% value in return. The staff is incredibly friendly. The room service is awesome. The rooms are modern, clean, and comfortable. The location is excellent. They make you feel very welcome. If I come back to Mexico City, I will return to this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Pumkin2000
Reviewed October 19, 2010

Simply put, Las Alcobas is perhaps the very best hotel I have ever stayed at in an urban setting. No detail has been overlooked, no expense spared. The result is an incredible experience of care, discretion, and comfort, all delivered so skillfully and subtly that I was left shaking my head in admiration. I was pleased, but not surprised, to meet both the General Manager and the owner of Las Alcobas during my week stay there-- this hotel is clearly a labour of love, of personal investment. The extreme professionalism and care of the staff extends from the owner to the concierge to the restaurant staff. Here is a sampling of the very many high points and touching details:

- Stunning architecture
Not only the signature spiral staircase, but also the gorgeous wood panelled rooms, three-way mirrors, spacious bathrooms... the place is a feast for the eyes, in terms of beautiful raw materials and clever design.

- Impeccable service
Including having the heel on one of my shoes replaced, chasing down hard-to-get restaurant reservations, remembering culinary likes and dislikes... way beyond the standard even at the best hotels worldwide.

- Great value
The rooms themselves are not cheap, but so much is included that one might not expect-- besides free Internet and an exquisite made-to-order breakfast selection, there are many surprising extras such as fresh flowers in the rooms, baked goods, and handmade soaps. In the end, I felt incredibly spoiled by the hotel, in a good way!

- Possibly the best location in Mexico City
Right in the heart of Masaryk in Polanco, with many of the city's top restaurants just a 5 min walk away (including Astrid y Gaston and Dulce Patria, the hotel's adjoining eatery), a Starbucks next store, a Teavana on the next block, exclusive shops everywhere, etc.

- Elegance and comfort
Fantastic linens and bedding. Great storage space. High-quality fittings.

- Silence!
For light sleepers-- a rare example of glazing that actually succeeds in blocking out all street noise! No earplugs necessary... the rooms at Las Alcobas are little cocoons of peace.

In terms of potential drawbacks, I can think of only two, both minor:

- Very small fitness room with no external windows
Not on par with the offerings of larger upscale hotels. And the presence of an exclusive spa does not compensate for bare-bones fitness facilities for those guests who want to seriously exercise. That said, the minimum equipment (treadmill, elliptical machine, stationary bike, free weights, mats, etc.) is all present.

- No bar inside the hotel... yet
This is not a serious problem, as there are countless establishments less than a 2 min walk from the hotel. However, it would be nice to have somewhere to invite people back for a drink at the hotel. Apparently the management is considering installing a small bar in the lobby at some point in the coming months.

Overall, I recommend Las Alcobas strongly and unreservedly. My stay there exceeded my exceptionally high standards... truly remarkable. It is a home away from home in the best sense, a wonderful oasis in the finest part of Mexico City.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank emily.rose
Reviewed September 3, 2010

Enjoyed one night only at Las Alcobas due to the ash cloud in Europe and I for one did not regret the disruption.

Whilst the property was only partially open, the service and hospitality was exemplary from the shaved ice welcome drinks flavoured made with local flora, to the scented pillows when I called it a night.

The property is only small and located in Polanco within walking distance to a number of shops and restaurants. The rooms themselves were exceptionally well equipped with Bose hi-fi and large flat screen tv's - the drinks cabinet was stocked with local soft drinks and snacks - all complementary. All in all an exceptional experience. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business