“At the right price, you can't ask for much more in a hotel”

Hilton Mexico City Reforma
Ranked #16 of 310 Hotels in Mexico City
London, United Kingdom
“At the right price, you can't ask for much more in a hotel”
Reviewed December 17, 2010

We stayed here for an entire week, and it was brilliant. We booked a room on the Executive Floor which is near the top (floor 26 out of 27 floors). The views are *stunning*. Whether you get a room overlooking the Centro Historico, or the Reforma/central Mexico City, there will be plenty to look at with awesome mountains towering in the background. All the rooms are at least 10 stories up, so even if the executive floor isn't in your budget you should still get pretty good views everywhere (and all the rooms have panoramic windows to enjoy them).

The hotel is just minutes walking away from much of what there is to see in Mexico City, and only about 5-10 minutes by subway (which costs a whopping 25 cents a ride) from everything else! The sites in the city are largely split on separate ends of the Reforma, with many in Centro Historico (where the Hilton is) and many in the Chapultepec area about 3.5km away. We also looked at the St. Regis which is very near the Chapultepec side, and while the area is decidely more polished than the ancient Centro Historico, it has a lot less character. We definitely preferred staying in the Centro Historico, as we felt there was way more to do and see there. Not to mention that we got 3 nights in the Hilton for the same price we got 1 night in the St Regis, and unless you're splitting hairs you won't tell much of a difference between the two. If anything, the Hilton has better views.

The bathrooms on very nice marble with dark wood finishings and are plenty adequate in size. The beds are divine in my opinion, but I've always loved Hilton's Serenity beds (if you get hooked too, you can actually buy the same pillows online now from a company called Pacific Coast). My only gripe about the rooms is that the carpets could use a little loving. We stayed in two separate rooms over the week, and both had spots on the carpet as if someone had spilled red wine there ages ago.

The rooms have a safe in the closet that was big enough for me to store my laptop, camera, money, etc.

The TVs have little in the way of English-language materials, unfortunately. Though they do have CNN, BBC, and Bloomberg. Just not much in terms of light entertainment. There is no pay-per-view in this hotel. The mini-bar is adequate, but extortionately expensive. I've forgotten exactly, but the bottled water was in excess of $6 a litre. The Corona cans, which can be had for $0.85 about 15 steps away in 7 eleven, were $4 each in the room.

The breakfast in the Los Dones restaurant is pretty good with a large mix of European/American style continental foods, and also some Mexican mainstays (chilaquiles, refried beans, etc.). It is, however, knock-out expensive at $22 USD a person, unless it's included in your room rate. The Executive Lounge breakfast pales in comparison, but at least it's already included in Executive Room rates. WiFi is also included in the Executive Rooms, which normally would you cost you $16 a day in your room, or $3 per 15 minutes in the business centre. So, have a good look at the rate differences you can find between Standard and Executive rooms, because it may even out in the end. We are certainly glad we splurged.

The staff were always very polite, friendly, and accommodating. For one of my stays, I paid a ridiculously low room rate booked online (something like $50 a night including breakfast for 2, which as I mentioned above would normally cost $44 anyway!) and the staff still treated us like were the best thing that ever walked through their front door. The only time I had anything of a complaint was actually when I was staying in the much more expensive executive room when one day a bar tender in the Executive Lounge complained/laughed about my tip to one of his colleagues in Spanish with me sitting right there (a $6 tip left behind for two drinks served during the *free* happy hour). He didn't realise I speak Spanish, but he didn't apologise either. But, that was so out of character for the rest of the staff in the hotel that I tried to swallow my pride and ignore it. Perhaps he's used to people slinging the big money around up there. In any case, every other need more or less was attended to with a smile. The front desk staff and concierges are great.

You absolutely must eat at El Cardenal while in the hotel. It's a newer branch of a rather famous Mexico City restaurant (the original is very nearby in the Centro Historico). It's contemporary take on Mexican favourites is just phenomenal. Two of us devoured a 3-course lunch in the 4-to-5 star restaurant for only about $75 including alcoholic drinks. The only thing is that it is crammed full during lunch hours, so it's better to have a late lunch/early dinner, or else risk waiting in line for ages and ages (no reservations). But, it can't be passed up as you won't get that kind of food/service at that price in the US.

For your requisite visit to Teotihuacan, forget taking any expensive organised tours. Hop on the metro for a 15 minute ride to the bus station (ask the concierge), and take a 45 minute public bus straight to the archaeological site. It runs every 15 minutes to/from the site, and costs about $3 a person as I recall. You can then enjoy the ruins at your leisure, and the site is massive. We spent 5 hours there and only hit the highlights that made it into the guidebooks.

The only caveat here is that Mexico City is polluted beyond belief on the best of days. We visited in the winter when a process called 'thermal inversion' (check wikipedia if you're curious about the physics behind it) means that the pollution is even worse than normal. It is also at a higher altitude than many travelers will have ever experienced before. This meant that we woke up every single morning with sore throats and yucky noses, and were more prone to headaches and tiredness throughout the day. You can literally see the smog hanging like a cloud over the city from your room window in the morning. You're not going to choke or anything, but you will notice the air's a bit more funky than you've probably experienced anywhere else before. It's survivable, but I would say if you could stand the heat of the summer, the air is probably more agreeable then. This obviously has nothing to do with the Hilton, but I thought I'd stick it in here with the general travel advice for people who may not have been to Mexico City before.

So, in short, I can't think of a reason why I would hesitate to return to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank redrover045
HiltonMexico, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Mexico City Reforma, responded to this review, December 18, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed comments.
First of all,let me apologize on behalf of all the team members that work at the Hilton Mexico City Reforma, regarding the issue of tipping. The lack of delicacy shown by this particular team member is not in any way or form part of the Hilton values. Tipping, is a voluntary action and gratitude should have been shown after any guests leaves it regarless of the ammount.
On another note, some of the maintenance plans that the hotel has for 2011 is to change the carpets in the rooms so next time you visit us you will enjoy the new fresh carpeting. All of your comments will be known by the specific department heads such as the size of the safe, and the channels on the tv rooms.
The Hilton Mexico City Reforma, has one of the most beautiful Executive Lounges in the city, our state of the art decor ,the magnificent and unbeatable views to the historical and cultural downtown Mexico City makes us one of the best choices when you visit the capital of Mexico for business or pleasure. Due to our strategic location our guests can enjoy walking distance attractions suchs as the main cathedral, the Palace of the Fine Arts, historical buildings and world renowned museums .
Once again, I thank you for your comments and next time you visit Mexico City we would like to be your hotel of choice and give us the opportunity to serve you with the Hilton hospitaly and the warmth of the mexican people.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
san diego, california
Reviewed November 22, 2010

The lobby is grand and very chic. They are home to one of the best restaurants in the city, El Cardenal. The hotel has a huge convenction center and therefore caters to many business travellers. The bar in the lobby is dark and chic, and they also have a nice wine themed restaurant that served us perfectly created dishes. The rooms are very spacious and have new furniture with a very updated modern decor. Our room had two flat screen tvs, a full set of couches and a very comfortable sitting area. The carpets could use a bit of shampoo, but otherwise everything was perfect. The concierge was very friendly and the hotel-based taxis are very pricey but very reliable. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank lilio74
HiltonMexico, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Mexico City Reforma, responded to this review, November 23, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments.
I'm very happy to find out that you like and enjoy our decor. The hotel was design by the very famous Pascal Arquitech's Firm in Mexico City, which were also in charge of the decoration as well as the design of the furniture including the brand new and sophisticated Executive Lounge. At the Hilton Mexico City Reforma, we feel very lucky to held restaurants such as "El Cardenal", 'The Wine Bar", "Los Dones" and the beautiful "Terraza" Restaurant.
The hotel is the only one of its kind with a Convention Center within the property,which is quite convenient for conventions of all types.
I also thank you for considering staying with us next time you visit Mexico City. We will look forward to assist you again.
Toronto
Reviewed November 21, 2010

The Hilton Reforma is clean and spacious. The staff is helpful and there is a currency
exchange at the front desk, but they have a limit up to $60 U.S. a day that can be exchanged.
The breakfast has a good selection of fruits and desserts and other hot food as well.
There is a Starbucks next to the hotel and a McDonald's nearby as well. The room has flat screen TV with some English channels and hairdryer and toiletries in the room as well.
There is a gift shop in the hotel where you can get bottle water, snacks, etc.
The hotel is across from a big park and other historical buildings nearby.

The internet is very pricy though, they have a flat day rate of $14 U.S. for use of internet.

• Stayed November 2010
1 Thank sanjo008
Thank you for taking the time to write a review
I'm please that you like the selection of fruits and the variaty of food we offered at our breakfast buffet. I will pass the above comments to our Executive Chef.
The location is one of our biggest assets, the hotel is walking distance to the historical center of Mexico City which is definatelly worth exploring.
We hope to see you next time you come to Mexico City.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 9, 2010

We were a little skepical coming to Mexico after hearing so much about the drug wars and violence in the country. There was a tremendous amount of policemen on the street as well.
Coming to the hotel, the staff were very friendly and assisted us with all our queries.
Now the things I would not expect in a Hilton did turn us off it a little. The shower drain was in the wrong place and the tilt of the shower floor meant water pooled in one area and didn't drain away. The air conditioning seemed a little cold and after putting it up to the maximum 28C there wasn't any real change. The fridge was inside a wooden cabinet of which the handle was broken on the door. The hotel booklet mentioned a movie service on TV, but there wasn't any. We also found the room service very slow, and expensive.
The good things were a very comfortable bed with lots of pillows, a new modern LCD TV, fast elevator and quiet surrounds. The room had 3 telephones for goodness sake!
Overall, a good experience and a short walk from the town square, and we only were bothered by one beggar/con artist as well on the walk.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank FlyAwayOz
HiltonMexico, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Mexico City Reforma, responded to this review, November 10, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write your valuable comments.
As I'm repplying to you the hotel is going thru a meticulous maintenance inspection to take care of some of the opportunities you described above. I do apologize for any inconvinience you had while staying with us. I will passed your comments to the F&B Director regarding the room service.
I hope next time you visit Mexico City with your family again you will stay at the Hilton Mexico City Reforma and find our rooms and service exeeding your expectations. Looking forward to meet you again soon.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 24, 2010

This hotel is located a few blocks from Zocalo and the Plaza de la Constitución in the Centro Histórico. It is also a few blocks from Remora Blvd which is a major Blvd that is home to the U.S. Embassy. Next door to the hotel is a small mall with a McDonalds, a food court, a bank, and a few other stores.

The Hilton was very comfortable and I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank KARIM W
HiltonMexico, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Mexico City Reforma, responded to this review, October 29, 2010
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review.
One of the assets of the Hilton Mexico City Reforma is the location of the property.
Some of the most important museums,cathedrals,and avenues as your mention Reforma are walking distance from the hotel.
We are pleased to know that next time you visit Mexico City you will stay with us. I trully appreciate your preference towards us.
Chicago
Reviewed October 17, 2010

We spent six days at this hotel in October 2010 and would definitely return. The location cannot be beat; it's across the street from the historic Alameda park, just a short walk from many of Mexico City's most important historic attractions - the Bellas Artes, Zocalo, etc. The hotel has great dining.: the coffee shop offers a top-drawer breakfast buffet which puts any US hotel "breakfast included" buffet to shame - fresh fruits galore, house-baked pastries, a complete offering of custom-made omelettes and quesadillas, etc. The ground floor El Cardenal (unfortunately not open in the evenings) is a destination restaurant for Mexico City politicos, cultural figures, et al. The athletic facilities are great, including a well-equipped fitness center with a friendly trainer who will help you make adjustments to the machines and indoor and outdoor lap pools. One note is that we found lots of little problems in our rooms - cracked coffee pot, airconditioner not working, dead lightbulbs - but they were all fixed quickly. The only complaint I had is that the wifi can be somewhat erratic.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank susangz
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review.
The Hilton Mexico City Reforma, is very fortunate to be located in the heart of such a historical distric. Many attractions can be found walking distance from the hotel , and the Concierge will always be happy to advise you where to visit.
I do apologize for the inconviniences in your room, as you mention they were fast enough to resolve them I will let the maintenence department know .
I do hope that next time you are in Mexico City you will give us an opportunity to take care of you and find a perfectly manteined room.
BC
Reviewed October 14, 2010

An great hotel with excellent facilities, spacious and modern rooms. Fabulous restaurants, excellent services and quiet oasis within a busy city. Within walking distance of the historical centre. Highly recommended. I can't say enough about the executive floor and staff.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Thank you very much for leaving your comment.
We really are an oasis in the middle of one of the largest cities in the world.
At the Hilton Mexico City Reforma, we worked with passion to make sure our guests feel at home, and the Executive Lounge and their staff is with no doubt an example of it. I will make sure to read your review to them.
Hopefully, next time you are in Mexico City you visit us again.