“Horrible experience!”

Hotel La Casa de la Luna
Ranked #50 of 141 Mexico City B&B and Inns
“Horrible experience!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Altough the room was fine when compared to price, we had a lot of problems with their cleanliness, the floor was so dirty that it was imposible to walk without shoes. I asked 3 times for one entire week to the staff to clean our room throughly and they were very rude, and did not clean it anyway. Aside from that their internet never works nor the electrical shower, so we had to take cold baths every day. Food in their restaurant is veru cheap but horrible! Overall I wouldnt recomend it, it was a very bad experience

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank CarolinaRQ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

We needed a place for one night in Mexico City and thought the description of this hotel matched our needs. It sounded convenient to the airport and had nice looking rooms. Unfortunately it was a long drive and is not in a great part of town. The staff was friendly and the room was fine. The downside was the noise from the street. I would have sworn the windows were open and we were treated to loud live music until maybe 4or 4:30 am. Pretty much impossible to sleep. If your heading to spring break and don't care about a good nights sleep this place is probably just fine. Again, the room itself was good and staff as well, just REALLY thin walls.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank 01fatboy
Chapala, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

Centrally located, clean, economical, safe, with helpful and honest staff... and honest. When I called to confirm my reservation, the receptionist honestly told me that at times they had had problems with electricity because of some construction in the area (NOT their fault as Christine S said in an earlier review), Everything was perfectly fine during my recent stay of three nights - no problems at all, not with electricity, nor with anything. I had a nice ample and quiet room in the back of the hotel. Certainly, the rooms at the front on the street side would be noisy but when you travel on the cheap and want to cram I don't know how many people into one room with four double beds, then that is what you get. Also, don't be fooled by the reception area: the rest of this colonial hotel is nicely renovated. And whoever calls a full breakfast expensive at 40 pesos does not know what he or she is talking about. For a seasoned traveller - I say "traveller", not "tourist", a hotel like La Casa de la Luna in the very centre of a huge city like Mexico is perfect. And, by the way, there free internet access in every room.

Room Tip: A room towards the back of the hotel away from the street.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank LakeMonk41
Sao Paulo, SP
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

I can't understand the reviews I've read. When we arrived there was no energy and we couldn't stay. The entrance and reception were horrible and we couldn't see the interior of the hotel. The male receptionist couldn't provide us with a document stating that it was their fault that we weren't staying and I had already paid for 4 nights. When I came back home and wanted to get my home back they wanted to charge us no-show!!! I learned something from this experience: if they don't give you a document take dated photographs with the person you are talking to and record their excuses...
Christine Starr
Sao Paulo/Brazil

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Mexico City hotels

Vienna
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2011

Beautiful historical construction built in XVII century, located in a very safe area close to the most important spots of Mexico City’s downtown. Guest rooms are very clean, comfortable and beautiful decorated with a nice Mexican colonial style.

Food served at the restaurant is delicious and original, definitely a real Mexican homemade food experience (try the cohinita) The staff needs to improve english skills but they are very friendly and always willing to assist you,

If you want to experience a classical Mexican hotel, good and safe service at a very convenient price this is the right hotel to stay, I will surely come back to this hotel in my next trip to Mexico City.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Helga S
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2010

The building it's quite nice.
Service it's terrible, the restaurant ain't good and very expensive,
Rooms are very small and at night there's too much light inside them.
What they call 'suite' it's a large room with four double beds, and 1 bathroom to be share.. with the worst view at the city (just the roofs of the bars in front) and so noisy at night, that it's just impossible to get sleep like that, also the street where is located it's very noisy and crazy traffic 24 hours a day.
In such a beautiful town, it's not worth it to spend your time at this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010
1 Thank elrasta
Fernando Q, Propietario at Hotel La Casa de la Luna, responded to this review, November 24, 2011
Dear Customer:

I am so sorry about the delay in our response but the hotel for over a year was totally abandoned and we are the new management.

I am the new hotel owner and I would like to apologize about the bad experience you had in our hotel, I hope you can give us a new opportunity in the future.

If you decide to come back to Mexico City please stay with us on a complementary basis and let us show you all the new things we have changed for our customers.

Best Regards