“Perfect!”

Hotel Casa Gonzalez
Ranked #29 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 26, 2007

The hotel was perfect! I recently spent a week here on a school organized trip for college. The landscaping was beautiful! The rooms were just right. We had beautiful doors leading out to a private terrace. My friends had their own private balcony and deck. The food was amazing. I looked forward to waking up every morning to their amazing breakfast. Fresh sqeezed orange juice and a perfect variety of mexican and american food was offerred. The facilities were safe, gated and locked. Prime location and walking distance to just about anything. Would go back in a second! One downfall was the water pressure and occasionally we would find a mosquito buzzing around the room. Other than that it was great!

• Stayed: January 2007
7  Thank nicolebamber
There are newer reviews for Hotel Casa Gonzalez

Reviewed October 11, 2006

I chose this hotel based on price and location, and the fact that the owner spoke some English. I couldn't have imagined how much I would like it.

You can have your meals family style in the diningroom, and can vary it. They just need notice. The fellow travelers were very knowledgeable and Sr. Gonzalez joins you late in the meal and is available for advice. The breakfast was great and the talk a good start for the day. The rooms are simple, though it looks like they've done some improvements. I loved the area. Very normal, not fancy. Green and leafy, but with a supermarket and a daycare center to the left and many vendors on the right on the way to the Zona Rosa shops, Insurgentes, etc.

The hotel was created by joining two family homes, so courtyards and balconies aplenty. The gate is locked often, but you get a door key, and the hotel will arrange a cab.

• Stayed: November 2002, traveled solo
13  Thank Crankygrannie
Reviewed September 9, 2006

I recently spent 5 nights at Casa Gonzalez with friends and absolutely loved it!

The hotel is very charming (in a colonial style), the rates are very reasonable and best of all the staff are beyond helpful. I spoke with one of the owners at the hotel (Jorge) and he provided invaluable assistance in finding a private taxi for a day, providing advice on restaurants and helping me receive a money wire.

The hotel's location is very central and safe. The neighborhood is primarily residential, but is very close to Zona Rosa restaurants (5 min walk away) and the metro station (10-12 min walk). Furthermore, there is a large, modern grocery store within a 5-6 min walk from the hotel which is helpful if you're on a budget.

The main downside was that a) the water pressure at the hotel was not fantastic (although it was typically quite warm) and b) mosquitos occasionally entered our room and bit us in the evening.

However, I would highly recommend this hotel over 'standard' Western hotels -- it's a great deal and is run by wonderful staff.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with friends
3  Thank SF_intrepidwanderer
Reviewed July 25, 2006

Our mission team recently stayed at Casa Gonzalez. We had spent a week in Puebla and spent 2 days in Mexico City for sightseeing. It was a pefect place for our group of 12 and a great way to end our trip. I thought the rooms and furnishings were fine, although you might want to bring an extra towel with you. No one in our group mentioned anything about the beds being too hard. Some other reviews mentioned that the price of the meals at Casa Gonzalez were too high. But, again, traveling with a group, the dining room set-up was ideal. We payed 70 pesos each for a full breakfast of fresh fruit, juice, coffee or hot chocolate, your choice of breakfast entree, and bread. Dinner was 130 pesos each and included fresh fruit, a large bowl of soup, the entree (one night we had pork chops, baked potato, carrots and green beans), dessert and coffee. The quality of the foood was excellent. Our group was able to sit in the courtyard with excellent cappuccinos, soft drinks, etc. or check email. Everyone enjoyed their stay. Only one person had street noise but only until 10:00 or 11:00 at night. We would definitely come back.

• Stayed: June 2006
5  Thank VIMTraveler
Reviewed July 23, 2006

We stayed here with our 8-year-old son in June and, as we had found 10 years earlier, this is a wonderful oasis in the city. We were assigned a suite with two bedroms - bunkbed for our son and two singles in another room, with entrance hall, bathroom and balcony. The furnishings are not fancy but the beds were comfortable, the rooms clean and the hardwood floors well polished. But it's what else the Casa has to offer that makes it special: convivial, knowledgeable owner and manager who are willing to help with travel suggestions and information; a convenient internet cafe; a communal dining room with good breakfasts and great conversation with other travelers (and the occasional Mexican resident); proximity to transit and most popular destinations; location in a quiet, interesting neighbourhood and real Mexican shops and restaurants untatinted by the sleaze of the Zona Rosa; and a reasonable price. This certainly beats the impersonal atmosphere of most hotels. We cannot imagine staying anywhere else in the city.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
7  Thank loraxes
Reviewed May 29, 2006

My husband and I stayed here for four days at the end of May in the matrimonial room. Casa Gonzalez is a lovely, friendly place to stay, sort of a step up from a hostel. Very affordable. The grounds and the rooms were beautiful, and I loved the potraits of various unknown people hung around our room.

There were a few cons, however. The bed was extremely hard and uncomfortable, to the point of that I would move to the loveseat to sleep because my back was aching so much. It squeeked so much that every time we rolled over it woke one of us up. The noise outside, at times, was a bit much. It didn't bother me, becuase I live in the city anyway, but I know it bothered my husband.

All in all, a great value if you are willing to compromise. I recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2006
13  Thank Eems
Reviewed April 28, 2006

Friends in the Zona Rosa arranged accomodations for us here as they had done for others in the past. Casa Gonzales is a charming, walled hotel with an assortment of different rooms around central courtyards. I advise not getting a room on the street. Despite the windows being screened (unusual in Mexico City) the traffic was noisy. The manager and staff were very friendly and gladly showed us other rooms that were available. We switched to one on an inner courtyard that was peaceful and serene; hard to believe when the busy Zona Rosa was a short walk away. The room was comfortably cool despite no air conditioning. Despite reading a previous review that hot water was in short supply we had no shortage. Breakfast was around $7 US and served in a charming dining room where we felt free to mingle with other guests. Inexpensive internet access was available. The grounds felt secure. Cost per night was around $40 US. I recommend it highly if you would like something outside the usual hi-rise hotel.

• Stayed: March 2006