Hotel Casa Gonzalez
$330
$215
HotelsForEveryone
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbritish embassyother guestsguest houselovely courtyardhome away from homemain avenuesubway stationfew blockschapultepec parksafe neighborhoodpaseo de la reformaother travelershot waterstayed nightsstreet noiserooms are comfortablecommon areas
Reviewed April 9, 2014

The location is excellent for getting all around the city. Staff is helpful and friendly. The rooms are simple but very clean with delightful artwork on the walls. There is a lovely breakfast room--all the choices were ample and delicious. The rooms open out to a cool, floriferous garden where it is pleasant to sit with a chilled cerveza and relax after a day of sight-seeing. I would definitely return for another stay. Attracts a clientele from all over: Latin America, Europe, Canada, & US.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Jorge O, Owner at Hotel Casa Gonzalez, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

We are very grateful you took the time to post such a detailed and kind review.
It encourages to keep on working to improve our guest house.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Staff is friendly & helpful night & day. Rooms are clean & pleasant to return to. At breakfast there are people from all over world. The terrace is full of plants and is quiet, a getaway from busy city.

Room Tip: We loved our room one floor up with balcony and overlooking the terrace. Originally I was assigned a street room which was much larger, like a two bedroom but when I said I preferred something on the terrace and smaller the staff made it happen. I loved this place..
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you very much for posting such a nice review.
We continue on working towards sound-proving our outside rooms.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

Casa Gonzalez was recomended to us by a friend who had stayd there several times in the last few years. As world travelers who like to stay and indulge ourselves with the local culture.

The Casa proved to be an ideal place to stay, the premises have that old world charm and the service was excellent. We lived at the Casa, had a leisurely breakfast most morning, then set out to explore Mexico City the way a local person would do.

We used buses, and the metro, we walked from 5 to 10km a day, we went into the markets and disreputable areas, we saw museum and homes, archeological sites we traveled to Taxco by bus. We never felt threatened or apprehensive. The local people were friendly, helpful, happy, they looked you in the eye and we have no Spanish, and we were the very visible minority. The Casa became our home from home for two weeks. We noted that the other guests of the Casa were from many walks of life and from all over the world. One man had been going there for more than 50 years!

I would recommend the Casa and I can be contacted at partingtond@sympatico.ca if you want to stay there and discuss our experience.

Room Tip: The quieter rooms are on the inside of the courtyard, we had the noisiest room with a window directly on the side street. Since I am deaf and after a full day out always tired it did not bother me.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dennisjames

Thank you very much for such a nice review.
I do want to apologize that I was not there during your stay but I had to leave because of family matters. I do hope to have the pleasure to meet you on your next visit.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

Casa Gonzalez, was a lovely, homely place to stay with very friendly and helpful staff; though some cannot speak English. However most staffing the main reception, during the day can speak English.
My only issue was the addition of the local taxes, which didn't seem too clear when I booked: though, maybe it was the site I used.
Breakfast was worth every peso, plus a very central location and easy to access many areas.
Tourist maps, i think are available on request, as is most of the tourist information. Internet access on computers in reception is helpful as well.
My room was great, no air con, but a ceiling fan was sufficient, plus a great shower! :)
It seems a bit rambling, but it has a lovely open courtyard, where you can have lunch and/ or dinner, with a small fountain; though I did not eat here, except for breakfast
Overall, I would highly recommend Casa Gonzalez.

Room Tip: My room was above the street, yet was quiet enough.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you very much for your kind review.

I do want to apologize that it was not clear taxes were not included in the price you saw. Sometimes we cannot fully control how our guest house appears on certain sites. But we will try to present the information in a way that does not lead to confusion.

In Mexico City we do not have central heating nor air conditioning in private homes because the weather is usually very good all year long. The average for the day for most of the year is about 70 Fahrenheit (including summer and winter).

Reviewed April 8, 2014

I stayed here for a week in March with my partner and two friends. The location is great, and I felt like we could safely walk to the Chapultepec Park area, to the Insurgentes Metro station, and to the Centro Historico. I was much happier staying in this area than I would have been in the Centro. When we weren't feeling like navigating public transit, the hotel was just fabulous at calling us cabs or arranging a driver. If we felt like going somewhere on foot, the front desk staff would help us navigate. Really, the service was top notch. The daytime staff spoke excellent English.

We could always find good things to eat close by. During the weekdays, I had some amazing street tacos just down the street, and the torta stand just outside the hotel was delicious as well. The hotel's food was good as well. I loved the daily breakfast in the gorgeous dining room and chatting with other visitors. For only $5, you could get fruit, pan dulce, coffee, and something heartier like eggs or pancakes. My favorites were the mole eggs and the eggs with chorizo.

The courtyard was a gorgeous place to meet up with our friends before and after exploring the city, and for reading books. I will note that the WiFi was much stronger than the courtyard than our rooms, which might be problematic if you needed to get work done in bad weather. I was fine bringing my computer out, ordering a coffee, and watching the hummingbirds in March.

We heard from some other guests that the driver that the hotel arranged to take them to the Teotihuacan pyramids also took them to some tourist trap tequila factories, but we didn't have that problem with our driver--I just used basic Spanish to ask to return to the hotel right away. I don't think this reflects poorly on the hotel, as this is a standard practice in many highly touristed areas, but I would be aware that this might happen and have an exit strategy in place before you go.

If I am fortunate enough to return to Mexico City in the future, I will be definitely stay at Casa Gonzalez again.

Room Tip: 126 faced the interior courtyard, and was quite nice--my favorite of the bunch. 122 was hot during the afternoon and faced the street, but had private patio access at times. 117 was a small single that faced the interior courtyard and had a kind of small, but private, staircase going up to it from the outside.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Susan S

Thank you very much for such a detailed and kind review.

We are working on improving the WiFi service, it´s a challenge with the thick walls. We have changed all our routers within the last six months and gotten two optical fiber connections.

Thank you for mentioning that some guests had been taken to a tourist trap by a cab driver we recommended. This makes me very angry because they are not supposed to do this. If we find out who it was we will no longer work with him.

We should be remodeling room 122 soon and it will not be so hot or cold. The problem with that room is that is has too many windows. I know this room well it used to be my room when I was young (when I was five)…