“High price, average quality”

Camino Real Polanco Mexico
Ranked #65 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I have stayed here twice but will not go back. After arriving at one a.m. I found no bottled water in the room (the room bar was locked) and most of the bed's decorative cushions were on the floor. Obviously the staff didn't expect the room to be occupied.

There was nothing in the room listing the hotel restaurants or other amenities. I wandered around until forced to ask for help (sorry, I don't give tips just because they can't put up a few signs).

Breakfast buffet excellent, Morimoto's outstanding with the best service I have ever seen, Bice Bistro appalling in food and service.

Staff varied from friendly to grumpy to downright rude. The charge for Internet is ridiculous considering that it only worked occasionally in my room.

• Stayed: March 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (1,255)

Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

Good hotel, bit expensive but great spaces, great services and good restaurants . The not so good thing its nothing near or walking distance but a lot of restaurants to choose from

The gym its a bit small but good for a road trip...............

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Jose S
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Checked into this hotel on a business trip but came on Friday evening to enjoy a weekend in the city. Very friendly service, all staff make a point of saying hello in the halls, and most speak enough English to help you get by. Booked a trip through the concierge to the pyramids on Saturday. Fair price and a nice day. Hotel was build in the 1960s but has been maintained. Not a cookie cutter typical business hotel. Six restaurants, a bit pricey for Mexico, but good food. Hotel is very clean, nice heated pool. I will come back to this hotel on my next trip.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 2, 2014

For my 2nd business trip to Mexico, I had a chance to stay in this hotel as the other choices were fully booked. I wasn't mightily impressed with what I experienced over 6 nights.

1) When I checked in on the morning of 10th Feb 2014, the lady manning the reception probably wasn't in good mood. She didn't even bother to smile at me while pulling a long face throughout the check in. I told her that my name was wrong and I thought she would make amendments to it. I was wrong because when I checked out, I realised my name on the bill was still wrong. I told her to amend it but didn't expect her to throw the old piece of bill (with the wrong name) in front of me. Yes, it was the same lady attending to me during check in & check out. Customer service is non existent!

2) Next up, the dreaded walk to the hotel room. As many reviews on this webpage mentioned, the walk to the room can be quite long. I estimated mine to be about 150 meters from the elevator. So that's a walk of 300 meters everyday to & fro my hotel room.

3) The room wasn't in the best condition and you can see it's age. There were no complimentary water, no room slippers, no toiletries. And the room was very dark with inadequate lightings. I got a room that was facing the road and the honking from the vehicles starts at 7am and there is no chance you can get decent sleep.

After all the bashings, let's give it credit when it's due.

1) The breakfast is simply excellent! The service at the restaurant was good and so were the food. It had a generous spread every morning and I never once got tired of the selection of food throughout my 6 mornings.

2) Though the room was old but the bed and pillows were very comfortable. I rested well throughout my 6 nights of stay.

If you do not mind lousy service, long walk to a dark and gloomy room go for this hotel. But I probably will not stay here again if I was given a choice.

Room Tip: Do not choose a room facing the road unless you want "automated alarm" from honking cars a...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank justinjalanjalan
Reviewed February 28, 2014

I have been at this hotel so many times I cannot count them. I always get a room in the upper floors looking over the interior garden (and pool) but far away from the elevators and pool to have privacy.
They have a little terrace to smoke a cigar, drink a cognac, have breakfast. The birds in the trees are so loud in the morning they will wake you up. Like if you were in the country side.....except that you are right in the middle of the city!
Service could be better but is good. The hotel's overall architecture by Legorreta is phenomenal with a museum quality mural by Tamayo that will leave you speechless. The restaurants in the hotel are very good and the taquerías within a few block (in particular Los Panchos) absolutely fantastic.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the inner yard
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Great location in the Polanco neighborhood. The place is modern, with fast and friendly service. The rooms are spacious and full breakfast. Has a good gym, good pool and 5 restaurants. Internet access was good, the room or lobby. A great value for money in Mexico City.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing internal garden - you will have a good sleep.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Ricardopg61
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I have been a business traveller in mexico for many years and have stayed at the camino real - polanco many times. Last year alone I estimate a total of 30 nights at the hotel...

After noticing a steady and constant decline in the hotel infrastructure, service, and dining experience over the years, I have decided to change my future hotel stays in polanco to the many other hotel options in the area.

In general, rooms at the camino real are extremely dark, many rooms are very (extremely) far away from the elevator, the beds are old, bathrooms very dated, and the extra charges are absurd considering the hotel price.... They will often not recognize your stays towards their rewards program....

In addition, prostitutes have been present near the elevators which make it for a terrible hotel experience. Equally bad, once in a while, hotel management will crank down on the issue making hotel entry a pain for any female. Many female guests or companions are treated under the suspicion of prostitution.... Terrible....

In summary, Find yourself another hotel. There are many in the area with higher review ratings while providing a safer and cleaner environment at a similar price point....

Stayed: February 2014