“Very good hotel reasonable price”

Camino Real Polanco Mexico
Ranked #74 of 310 Hotels in Mexico City
Meitar, Israel
“Very good hotel reasonable price”
Reviewed October 26, 2011

Perfect rooms
Perfect breakfast , gym room and other facilities.
In front of the local central park.

Room Tip: Only problem no free Wi Fi app. 10 USD per day
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 25, 2011

I've stayed at two fantastic Camino Real hotels in the past, in Oaxaca and Puebla, and so I booked a spontaneous trip here through Orbitz without applying my usual due diligence (i.e., reading multiple customer reviews thoroughly). Plus I've found many travelers allow their negative experiences in Mexico City as a whole to unfairly color their views of individual places so I stupidly dismissed the overall low ratings. In this case however the bad reviews are correct and I now regret being such a lazy snob about the whole thing.

Before I get into my specific complaints, let me be general: This is a gigantic, impersonal business/convention-oriented hotel. And if you're into that sort of thing (I'm not), I'm sure you can do much better in Mexico City. The location is not in Polanco, as it says in their name, and you have to cross several busy streets to get there. I'm fairly fit and used to the city's smog, altitude, and traffic and I still found it a haul. Chapultepec Park is across the street, technically, but there's a giant sports complex with high walls separating you from it. You have to walk at least a half mile to find an actual entrance. Like many others, I was partially lured by the architecture, which is unique and somewhat interesting, but the overall effect is a dated, avant garde mega mall. Alienating and very cold, not cool and luxurious as the photos make it out to be.

But most of that is subjective. What's not subjective is the the front desk service, which is the worst I've ever encountered. Let me repeat: it's the worst I've ever encountered. We arrived late after booking a "deluxe" room and were given a room on a busy street that stank of smoke. This is a massive hotel and the walk from the lobby to the room was at least a third of a mile -- I'm not joking -- and after a full day's travel I wasn't in the mood to march all the way back. So I called the front desk to ask for a different room and was put on hold. I waited 15 minutes and then hung up and made the trip back anyway.

The man behind the desk was courteous yet dismissive, saying his hands were tied because I'd booked through Orbitz. He had no idea what a "deluxe" room was and said the hotel was completely full. Too tired to argue (it was close to midnight), I surrendered but asked if I could have my room changed for the rest of my trip. He said he would make a note and told me to come back in the morning. I went back to my smoky room and ordered a pizza from room service, which frankly wasn't bad, though somewhat lukewarm, likely because of the aforementioned long walk. The TV remote barely worked, there's no art on the walls, and they charge US$4 for the bottled water.

After being woken up by loud traffic at 6:00 am (business travelers note: windows are not soundproofed and surrounding streets are loud), I called the front desk and again was put on hold. So I got ready and went to the front desk at 8:00. I was "greeted" gruffly by a distracted, stone-faced young woman. There was no note requesting a room change, so I asked if this could be accomplished, repeating my complaints. She told me to come back at 1:00 pm.

Was there any way they could at least confirm a change was possible? No. The hotel was full. ...But then what would change at 1:00? Could they not simply promise me a smoke-free, quieter room? No... Maybe... I don't know. I asked for a manager and instead another desk person of equal rank came to help, slightly friendlier. She said they'd write a note. I told her my last "note" hadn't worked out too well, and explained my frustration. She shrugged her shoulders (literally) and explained there was nothing they could do.

I asked for a manager again, and was given one. He at least made eye contact and wasn't attempting to do three other things while attending to me, as the other desk people so far had done. He was apologetic but told me, again, that his hands were tied since the reservation had been made through Orbitz. I told him I'd paid extra for a "deluxe" room and again he told me he had no idea what that meant, but went into a long, convoluted explanation of room types available at the hotel. I told him I simply wanted confirmation I'd be moved to a quiet, smoke-free room, and after some discussion, he "found" another room (in a supposedly full hotel), but said it was still on the street, "but a quiet one." I had taken an early morning hike around the circumference of the property and I assure you, the Camino Real Polanco (actually Anzures) has no such thing adjoining it. I told him I wanted an inside room and after much tapping at his computer console, he told me they were all booked. I told him I was checking out and to cancel the remainder of my reservation, at which point he "found" an inside room but told me I'd have to pay for an upgrade. I told him to cancel the remainder of my reservation and he offered to upgrade me for free.

I was tired of Let's Make a Deal, tired of him, tired of the Camino Real and $40 worth of calls to Orbitz later, I was able to check out and receive a refund. The long calls were not due to Orbitz, but because -- yup -- they (and thus we) were on hold for 20 minutes waiting to speak to a (higher-level) manager.

Mexico City is a wonderful, fascinating place and Chilangos are some of the friendliest, most charming people on earth. Camino Real must have really had to go out of their way to staff this place with people who are quite the opposite. I usually stay with friends when I'm down there so I don't have any other recommendations for alternatives, but I can't imagine you could do worse in this price range. Stay away.

Room Tip: If you absolutely must stay here -- like, your grandmother has been kidnapped by hotel staff -- dema...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TelegramSam55

Travelers are raving about these Mexico City hotels

Miami, Florida
Reviewed October 4, 2011

I stayed last week in a business trip with my company and my experience was completely dishonest. Some of my jewelry was taken out of my room, when I returned home most of the jewelry that I always fly with was taken out. Everything was well hidden in a small case, but is no whee to be fined. I called the hotel and no one wanted to take my call after rolling the call with nearly eight people, some type of manager answered me, I did the claim and told me to call back in 5 hours. The worst customer service ever. When I call back, knowing the person name went directly to her and imagine her answer "Was this is the safe, if it was not in the same we are not responsible". What kind of business type hotel hire thieves to work at the hotel. Is the housekeeping staff needed of more money to buy jewelry?

I do not recommend at all anyone to stay in this hotel, bad customer services,not recognizing errors and thieves!

Go some where else.

Room Tip: Stay away of this hotel in Mexico City! Thieves are now working in this hotel.
1 Thank Frequentbusiness76
La Jolla, California
Reviewed September 29, 2011

First time I arrived for check in I was amazed by the 60's modern architecture, it is much more impressive and memorable in person than it is in photographs. I admire it more and more during each stay.

Having read a few other guests' reviews, I am reminded how people's opinions can differ significantly: for example, a few reviewers have disliked the darkened hallways enough to comment upon them, but I have always enjoyed the dramatic feel of walking to my room, enjoying the cool dark interiors while looking at the hot humid exterior.

One reviewer refers to the hotel's paint job as garish, while I find the strong hispanic colorations to be authentic, dramatic, and utterly perfect for this place.

I do alot of business entertaining and my dinner guests have always enjoyed the wide array of good dining options here.

I have not been disappointed in my few stays here, and will only caution that it does a huge amount of group meeting business, sometimes the large lobby is filled to the brim with people coming and going.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Hi,

I come to Mexico twice a month on business staying about a week each time. So I personally bring a lot of business to the hotel industry here. I usually stay at the Four Seasons, given its impeccable service to their business clientele. But I wanted to try something different, and people recommended the Camino Real in Polanco. Frankly, I will never stay here again. While the service was acceptable, the food was not on par and heavy. But the kicker was on my third night, I came back from a business dinner to a steady drumbeat of music I could hear from the top floor. When I called the reception, they said that this music would not stop until 1 a.m.--on a Wednesday night when I had a very important meeting first thing the next morning. When I asked if something could be done, the woman in the reception told me that she'd call the manager and call me back. She never did. If you need sleep while you work, do not stay here.

Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed September 24, 2011

I have traveled to Mexico City for business and i have stayed twice in this hotel.
For me the price is not worth it AT ALL! The rooms seem kind of old. I stayed alone at a room and to get there I had to walk through several hallways that were very dark and creepy. One time I had my money and jewelry in the safe box and I don't know why when i came back I couldn't open it, so i had to call front desk and two people came in to the room and asked me for my id, to see if it was really my room! It felt kind of uncomfortable. Another day i went to the store located at the lobby to buy a "calling card" and they sold me a "mobile card", obviously when i wanted to use it i couldn't, so i spoke to the manager and asked her to replace the card, which i had not even used, and she was very un-polite, saying that it was not her fault that i didn't see that they sold me something i didn't ask for! Well the only good thing about this hotel is the location and the breakfasts served at the restaurant, where all the waiters are very nice :) Next time definitely not staying here, better go to the W or Intercontinental located blocks away.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Excellent guest service & support. Twin room, spacious with beautiful marble bathroom. Room overlooked the internal garden & pool, was quiet at this time of the year but would possibly be noisy in summer. Room service & restaurants were great. Business centre was extra cost. Boutiques/shops within hotel were very good quality. Location is nice & feels safe & excellent drivers available from door. This was a business trip and this hotel was great for the purpose.

2 Thank Warwickite