“A must if you are in the Zocalo area!”

House of Tiles (Casa de los Azulejos)
Book In Advance
and up
Mexico City Segway Tour: Downtown Zocalo
Ranked #41 of 535 things to do in Mexico City
More attraction details
Owner description: This beautiful 16th-century house is covered with tiles, a symbol of success in the colonial era.
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I love Sanborns specially "La Casa de los Azulejos", The building itself was a palace around XVI. This place is great to dine, have breakfast, or just drink coffee with molletes. The beauty of the tile work is breathtaking. I would highly recommend sitting on the terrace of the second floor! This is not the best place to dine in Mexico City but is the best place to see a churriguerezque style palace!

1  Thank vhamnett

Reviewed March 15, 2013

You have to visit this place in case you visit Mexico City! It's architecture is amazing! Out foul of handmade tiles, inside huge murals and a great patio that you can enjoy your coffee and relax!

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Very pretty and the coffee is dreadful. They have a plaque that says they won some prize a hundred years ago for their excellent coffee. Who gave it to them, who knows.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

We were told that this was the location of Mexico City's initial Sanborns. I would not plan a special trip to this place unless you are a huge sanborns fan! We started at the Palacio de Bellas and walked past on our way to El Zocalo. Definitely worth popping in to look at - don't bother eating here as the food is overpriced and bland. This attraction takes about 15 minutes and is a nice "pit stop" on the way to el zocalo.

2  Thank lhaganmich
Reviewed November 29, 2012

read good review in tripadvisor so went there.

good:
1. the waitress dress in very fine costume
2. the dining room is huge, it show some history
3. a lot of people, seems like local, some dress up, some casual.

bad:
1. food is soso, we enjoyed food in small cafe, restaurant in Merida, San Cristobal, DF. And for some reason their food (fish, pork) taste soso. maybe we didn't order the right one.

2. the bill show some extra $. in menu beer is 35 peso, and they charge 45 peso. We don't remember the exact cost of beer, so when we walked out of the restaurant, I pick up the menu and double check the price, it's 35 peso. I pointed to the waiter by the table and said the bill is wrong (in English and Spanish) -- maybe my Spanish is poor or he don't understand English, he shrug and walked away. So I wait for the waitress who served us, and point the price to her. She adjust the price and give back the change, cold face, no sorry.

We also order pina colada, bill show 75.5 peso. we asked the list price, and the waitress said it's not listed there. I believe they charge more, because we got a bigger pina colada in a nearby cafe, cost 50 peso, which they charge 30peso during happy hour. Since she said it's not listed in the menu, we could no verify.

3. charge 15% tip for 2 person. I read the post that typically tip is 10%-15%. The service we received is bear minimal, most likely due to our poor Spanish. Pretty much waitress disappear once she brought the food. I really want to tip 10%, but told 15% is needed because of 2 person. The total bill end up with 400 peso.

With the food, service, we felt we could enjoy more in other place. However if you are looking for something unique (architecture wise), it's a nice place to go.

1  Thank Hiac B