Hotel Del Prado
$89
Zocalo Central(Mexico City)
$155
$104
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 10, 2008

Without exception, this was the worst hotel I have ever experienced in any price range.
The front desk staff was ignorant of the most basic particulars of the hotel, rude and incompetent. This was not just my experience but that of countless conference attendees who could be found in the lobby at any hour beseeching staff members to give them a room with running water, lights, a key that worked, internet service that they had paid for.
All of these things went wrong, constantly and consistently through the week, and we all learned the one response we could count on was "could you come back in five minutes."
Moreover with the "free" breakfast apparently reheated for days on end, and nearly inedible, dim lighting, rock hard pillows, air conditioning that stopped working midweek, elevators that broke down between floors, every aspect of staying there represented a challenge.
We all felt as if we had been released from jail when we checked out.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed April 16, 2008

I just moved in April 16 2008. Yes room is large and I am on 5th floor looking East.. Beds are a bit soft, A/C a bit noisy but adequate. There is only one 110 V power plug in the room, and you have to turn on the light on entering to make it work. Wi-Fi is available 2-5th floors but no higher for 80 pesos/24 hours.Food in El Cafe strictly Mexican but good, although lunch noisy with band playing guitar/bass. Testaurant open at 7AM, closes at 10PM, but some resurants in same mall open until 11PM. Water pressure irregular and spurts with air. Remarkably few English speakers on staff, but otherwise friendly. Tourist authority advised against the neighborhood but I walked around without trouble at 5PM. As a business hotel, only so-so!

Walter

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed January 1, 2006

The room was large. Very dim lighting from lights hidden in slots in the concrete walls. Few power points and not all of these worked - I ended up operating my laptop computer from a power point in the bathroom. Reasonable food in the restaurant. No internet facilities - a big negative for me. Adjacent to a large but uninteresting shopping mall.

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled on business
3  Thank riskassessor
Reviewed July 9, 2005

The Hotel del Prado used to exist next to Alameda Centro (park), near the historic district of Mexico City. However, it was destroyed in the 1985 earthquake.

The new hotel is located on Av. Marina Nacional, in the Col. Veronica Anzures, which is a location close to basically nothing of importance. Perhaps there are banks or other businesses nearby to make this hotel worthy of staying for business travelers. Otherwise, if you are a tourist, don't stay there!

Here's the scoop, and I think I'm pretty flexible and reasonable in my expectations of hotels:

1) the del Prado is not close to any metro stations.

2) the hotel has an exclusive contract with a private taxi service that is 3 times more expensive than the typical "sitio" taxis. No other taxis are allowed to pick up passengers at the hotel.

3) the hotel has a bar on the first floor that was never open while I was there. Plus, it does not look like any hotel bar I've ever seen (no actual bar). I walked in several times though no one was in the bar. No one ever saw me or attempted to take my order. Once I entered at 10:30 PM, only to be told that it was closed by someone cleaning up after a private party. the bar in the restaurant is a joke. again, nothing like a US hotel bar/restaurant.

4) like most Mexican hotels, make sure you pack a wash cloth, since there are none provided in the room (though you'll love the huge towels).

5) if you like to read in bed before sleep, bring a light. The lighting in the rooms are terrible, including the bathroom. i would imagine that folks wanting to put on makeup will be concerned that they cannot see in the mirror well enough, due to the lack of light.

6) like most hotels in Mexico City, don't expect anyone to understand English.

7) expect to receive a phone call every morning just after 8:00 AM, with someone asking you if you want any clothes to go to their laundry. This is actually okay if you need a wake up call since there are no clocks/alarms in the rooms.

8) the rooms are HUGE!!! they may have non-smoking rooms, but I was unable to find the non-smoking option from the list on Travelocity.com. My room was very smokey, but was okay after a day or so.

9) the rooms do have A/C. You can control the output which is great. Turn it up to high when you sleep so that you don't have to listen to car alarms going off in the parking garage next door (or at least on the side of the hotel where I stayed).

10) the price is good, especially through Travelocity. However, I made up the difference in price by shelling out mucho dinero for the hotel's ripoff taxi service.

If you still want to stay at the Hotel del Prado, here's some suggestions:

1) when you want a taxi, walk into the adjoining mall and take your first right turn. you'll soon see a Sanborn's (a department store/restaurant/bar) where you can exit the mall and get a taxi for 1/3 the price of the hotel private taxis.

2) if you don't want the breakfast buffet for $90 pesos, go to Sanborn's and eat a good breakfast for about $55 pesos.

3) instead of looking for a decent bar in the hotel, again, go to Sanborn's bar. there happy hour is one of the best deals I saw during my stay and it feels just like a typical hotel bar in the states.

4) bring your own wash cloth from home (since they don't provide them).

5) let the shower fog up the glass in the bathroom before getting in, otherwise you'll be easily seen from nearby high rise businesses. there are no curtains for the windows above the shower.

6) study your Spanish!!!!! Assume that no one will be able to speak English at the hotel or anywhere else in Mexico City. it is not Cancun! realize that while you can learn some phrases to speak Spanish, that doesn't mean you'll understand Spanish.

7) your nearest Metro station is in the Zona Rosa, which will cost you about $23 pesos by regular taxi or $80 pesos by the hotel's taxi service. then enter through the Av. Insurgentes metro station. if you want better convenience to the metro, stay almost anywhere else.

8) the hotel is connected to a large mall. however, the mall is nothing special. also, each shop opens on Mexican time, which means don't expect anything before noon. there's also a McDonalds in the mall, for those of you who could possibly want that.

I only could find one review on this hotel before my visit. Therefore, I booked the hotel, only to realize later that it was incovenient to my tourist plans. I was unable to change my reservation through Travelocity without a $300 penalty, so I made the best of it.

Best wishes.

• Stayed: July 2005
12  Thank musteach
A TripAdvisor Member
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed July 19, 2004

I went to Mexico City the end of April 2004 for five days. I deliberately chose a three-star hotel because I was researching a novel I'm writing and a character stayed in one while visiting Mexico City. I was surprised at how nice the hotel was, from lobby to my room. My room was large, clean and comfortable. The hotel restaurant was really excellent, and my introduction to "real" Mexican food a pleasant surprise. There is a shopping mall attached to the hotel that sells everything from MacDonald's hamburgers to motor scooters. The staff were friendly (though none spoke English fluently). I was told the neighborhood is bad, but I never went out for a walk, having friends there who took me everywhere. I recommend the Hotel Prado.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member