“Hotel in a really bad shape”

San Francisco Hotel
Ranked #272 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed January 29, 2010

I went with my family last December to spend new year's eve and even though at the beginning the staff is very friendly , once you are there they never attend your needs. The mattress was very hard and uncomfortable, the pillows are a joke: really small and thick m the noise from outside is not filtrated and the worse thing was that the window didn't close properly and we were at the 8th floor! I got sick because of this bad-shaped window. I constantly reported all this and they only said yes but didn't solve anything.
Don't waste your money on this hotel. There are better ones for a better price, and also don't exchange pesos to dollars, the change rate is too high.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank alex_tripper

Reviewed January 15, 2010

I traveled with one of my friends to Mexico City in November of 2009. This was my third visit to Mexico City and I knew that I wanted to stay near Alameda Central because it is my favorite place. This hotel was the cheapest available with a location near to Alameda Central and so we decided to take our chances. We had a perfect stay! We travelled from the airport by metro stop Hildalgo. From there it was a short walk through the park to the hotel. The hotel is tall and labelled well so that we could find it very easily. The room was spotless clean and very simple. The television had one English station. The shower was amazing....BIG, clean, with nice tiles. The staff went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. They helped us find and book day-tours. When I left my bag of souvenirs on one of the tour buses, they called the driver and tracked it down. They appreciated the little Spanish I tried to speak and sort of 'adopted us'...always looking out for our needs. I read reviews that mentioned the tour groups. We did see that, but the tour groups were handled very efficiently. We would look in the lobby and it would be packed with the tour group, but as soon as we walked up to the counter, we got big smiles and fast service. The hotel is just feet away from the park. Lots of restaurants and shopping nearby. On Sunday it was fun to see all the bikes going by. I can't stress enough that location was perfect. .....and as cheap as it was...it's a steal! I will stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Pailin9
Reviewed November 29, 2009

The room was on 14th floor and had the view just like the one on the web, to Palacio de Bellas Artes and the administrative modern buildings, amazing at evening. Location is extremely good for city center (Alameda), with subway 2mn walking.
Room and bathroom were very clean and spacious. American Breakfast was included (eggs, cookies, oj) but personnel insisted on 'service not being included'.
The web fares are VERY good compared to what you find on the place (half the rate). Internet is not free.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 18, 2009

It's hard writing a review for this hotel as I've never stayed elsewhere in Mexico City. On the plus side, the location is great, the staff are friendly and helpful, the rates are great and the area is quiet. However the beds were hard, the rooms could be cold and they are also very basic. I will recommend this place though because the pluses do outweigh the minuses.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2009

I visit Mexico City several times a year on business, and have stayed here several times. The location couldn't be better, it is close to lots of public transportation, in a very safe area, near a large park/garden, with many reasonably priced restaurants nearby, as well as bookstores, coffee(!) drugstores, pretty much anything you need is within walking distance. The hotel is not fancy, but it clean and well-mantained. The staff is very friendly and helpful. They maintain a couple of private taxi drivers who will come and pick you up anywhere at the time and place you specify and don't charge extra for picking you up no matter when or where. (Ask for Pepe or Jorge). There is a very nice restaurant downstairs with mid-range prices, good service. The only downside is that the TV's don't work that well, but I don't watch much TV so didn't really. The cost can't be beat for what you get.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 31, 2009

Like other reviewers of this hotel, you get what you pay for.

I really don't have any qualms with this hotel. It's quite basic, but for $40 it's what I would expect. The staff were quite helpful, though, in arranging cabs and informing us of what to do/see around the area. The Palace of Fine Arts is located only two blocks away. There is a park across the street.

Would I stay here again? Probably not since I enjoyed the neighbourhoods of Reforma much better. Nonetheless, if you're looking to save money, I would recommend the San Francisco Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Louie M
Reviewed May 18, 2009

If I'd known that this hotel was full of tour parties and had whitewashed walls, I'd have paid a little extra and gone anywhere else. Reception is constantly busy, but its mainly because of large groups forever checking in and out. The rooms are particularly dull and staff seem to lack any kind of courteous behaviour. "Get them in, get them out" seems to be the attitude here. When I arrived back in Mexico City, I booked in elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo