“Tulip Inn Ritz... Cheap yet not really worth it.”
Review of Hotel Ritz Mexico

Hotel Ritz Mexico
Ranked #119 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed August 12, 2010

I had fun at Mexico City.
But I was not able to rest well at the Tulip Inn Ritz.
What was nice about it: It was like in the heart of Mexico City, near the cathedral & shopping stalls. A few meters down the road is my favorite ice cream shop...they sell the best ice cream.When I needed my caffeine fix, I just cross the street where I can have a steaming hot cup of coffee plus freshly baked pastries.
The room is really spacious and clean.

What needs to be improved though is:
I was there for 3days and in 3 days, breakfast food is the same. : (
I was not able to sleep well because the bed is kinda hard and the pillows are not that fluffy.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelbuff01

Reviewed August 3, 2010

This hotel is located in the heart of the historic district. The hotel is safe and clean. Not for those looking for luxury. It was great for our needs and budget. It is a downtown hotel and therefore noisy. I would return to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank PalmSprings21
Reviewed July 13, 2010

After first staying here with my aunt in 2009, they didn't keep a copy of her receipt, and charged me a second time when I left. Our faxes and calls from VISA went unanswered and unrefunded.

When my dad wanted to stay at the same place because "at least we knew it", I had my emotional reservations before booking.
- THE STREET IS INACCESSIBLE to our taxi because Moderna is now closed to cars and is a pedestrian street. Thanks for the info.
- The elevator was busted, poor bellboy with 7 bags
- Messed up our 4 person reserved room to a 2 person room
- No bathmat, 2 thin bathtowels, no handtowels, no remote for the TV, busted hairdryer, no ventilation in the room
- Breakfast was the worst thing I have ever had the mispleasure of eating. Soggy chilaquilles, undercooked and raw bacon, hair in cereal bowls
- Kids screamed down the halls all night and the staff did nothing.

The barman is very nice though.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank sarah412
Reviewed May 29, 2010

People there are very kind and helping, the room was clean and comfortable. I didn't find anything to complain about. I didn't expect such a beautiful, great-located hotel for these little prices! Next time I'll visit Mexico City I know where to stay again!! It was a great time!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrsGalvez
Reviewed May 20, 2009

3 of us girls stayed here for 4 nights. the food was good. the room was nice. but most importantly, the service was excellent!
the girls behind the counter went above and beyond to help us in every way possible. getting us taxis. arranging excursions, making phone calls, and everything else.
great location, near the zocalo, near trendy shops and little restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 9, 2008

Our trip in Mexico started and ended with with two night in the Tulip Inn - Ritz. As Europeans we are not so fond of building block hotels were every room is the same. Knowing that this hotel dates from 1930 we were very pleasantly surprised with most of the rooms. The situation in the heart of the historical centre of Mexico City means that you can visit everything in a short walk. The reception on the first floor is well staffed and there is free and unlimited internet access for the guests.
The breakfast is superbly presented and attended. The Madero street is noisy, but most of the rooms are around a little inside terrace tucked away in the building.
In full summer heat the rooms maybe a little hot because they are only equipped with a fan, but we enjoyed in this period a nice climate. If the hotel is not fully booked you can always asked to see the rooms and eventually choose the one you like most.
We also went to other big hotels on the Reforma boulevard and were very happy to be in our small scale, personal service Hotel where a guest is no number.
When we returned for our second stay at the end of our trip the nice people at reception even remembered the telephone number we asked them to call during our first stay. Please try this in a modern hotel ?
So in conclusion : highly recommendable because of the location, because of the small scale, beacuse of the good breakfast and beacuse of the nostalgic interior. If you cannot do without airconditioning, withour perfect english, without 50 channels on your tv then you still should go for the good reasons.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank jp_belgium2008
Reviewed October 1, 2007

We booked three rooms...some were nicer than others...but all were charged the same rate. The staff was very helpful and spoke good english. The buffet was terrible and we felt that it was overpriced at that. There is a VIPS restaurant downstairs and that is where we ate breakfast after the first morning. We are returning in 2008 and will stay there again...it was great value and a wonderful location.

Stayed: November 2006